Super Tech Multi Vehicle ATF and Hyundai SPIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been doing research on the Super Tech Multi Vehicle ATF for compatability with the Hyundai / Mitsubishi SPIII standard. I contacted Warren Distribution which makes and bottles the product for Wal-Mart. I received an e-mail reply from them stating that it is. Looks like there is another option for everyone vs. going to the stealership.
11.gif
See the e-mail reply below from Warren Distribution. If there is anything else you would like me to ask them let me know.

The proper Super Tech product is the Multi-Vehicle ATF. According to our additive supplier, Super Tech Multi-Vehicle ATF is ‘suitable for use” for the SP3 specification. You can get the typical specifications by visiting our website http://www.wd-wpp.com and look at the MAG1 Multi-Vehicle ATF item. The products have the same typical specifications. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Warren Distribution

Just remember that Hyundai is one of the few manufacturers that uses a tracer in their SP-III fluid. Whenever a warranty claim is made regarding the transmission, the fluid will be sampled and tested. It may be worthwhile to stick with the approved fluid at least until the warranty expires.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Just remember that Hyundai is one of the few manufacturers that uses a tracer in their SP-III fluid. Whenever a warranty claim is made regarding the transmission, the fluid will be sampled and tested. It may be worthwhile to stick with the approved fluid at least until the warranty expires.

I do agree with being cautious as far as the warranty is concerned but I found information that should protect anyone if they argue not using their dealer fluid. I checked hmaservice.com for the 2002 Santa Fe under the TSB section go to AT - Automatic Transaxle (59) and then to 06-40-016 AUTOMATIC TRANSAXLE FLUID LEVEL there is a NOTE in bold on page 2 of the document that states the following:

NOTE: Use only Hyundai SPIII ATF, Diamond SPIII ATF or other brands meeting the SPIII specification approved by Hyundai Motor Company.

Since this is stated in their TSB then it gives the green light for customers to use SPIII compatible fluids without voiding their warranty.

Originally Posted By: pemdas

I do agree with being cautious as far as the warranty is concerned but I found information that should protect anyone if they argue not using their dealer fluid. I checked hmaservice.com for the 2002 Santa Fe under the TSB section go to AT - Automatic Transaxle (59) and then to 06-40-016 AUTOMATIC TRANSAXLE FLUID LEVEL there is a NOTE in bold on page 2 of the document that states the following:

NOTE: Use only Hyundai SPIII ATF, Diamond SPIII ATF or other brands meeting the SPIII specification approved by Hyundai Motor Company.

Since this is stated in their TSB then it gives the green light for customers to use SPIII compatible fluids without voiding their warranty.

Not necessarily. It still has to be "Hyundai Approved." Just meeting the SPIII spec might not meet it 100%. It might require a Hyundai Approved emblem on the bottle or a specific endorsement on the back in words.

I sent Warren Distribution an e-mail for additional clarification. See response below.

The fluid is “not” approved by Hyundai but is “suitable for use”. Our additive supplier, Lubrizol, does the test work and recommendations for their formulations and additives we use. When a fluid’s characteristics and additive technology are consistent to the OEM product, our additive supplier makes a recommendation, “suitable for use” as to what transmissions a certain product can be used in. We do have licensed Super Tech products; Dexron VI, ATF+4 and Mercon V. The other ATF products are not licensed but our additive supplier has completed test work on the formulations and has made recommendations as to what transmissions they can be used in. The specification sheet doesn’t really cover individual transmission applications but gives a general overview as to the vehicle manufacturer that it covers so SPIII wasn’t an oversight omission. A few years ago, you could cover the entire market with three ATF fluids. Since then vehicle manufacturers have inundated the market with different transmissions and thus the increase in transmissions fluids to meet certain applications. The Multi-Vehicle ATF was designed as a true multipurpose fluid for accounts that wanted to cover the majority of the ATF market with a few fluids versus a fluid for each particular transmission which would be almost impossible to accomplish. I checked some of the major brand fluids and they also list their Multi-Vehicle fluids as “recommended for” or “suitable for use” claims similar to the Super Tech product. I hope this expanded explanation helps in explaining the fluid.

I'd use the Hyundai-approved SPIII. Hyundai dealers are kind of notorious for looking for outs on warranty work. And the transmissions are really picky, too.

Recall, the individual dealer usually doesn't want to be giving you service when he could be charging you for the same thing. Corporate wants you happy so you buy another Hyundai.

Although a call to corporate will usually straighten the recalcitrant dealer right out!

Hyundai transmissions picky? Maybe so. My experience with several 2009 Sonata transmissions (with both 4 and v6 engines) is they are plain sloppy. Shifts are way too slow most of the time, very harsh other times, all for no reason, steady throttle input. I just hope they don't fall apart prematurely.

I've also driven some of their competition, like a 2008 Accord and Malibu (both of those with 4 cyl). Those GM and Honda ATs shifted very nicely, even when teased with erratic driver input.

Yeah, they don't like anything other than SPIII. There are stories of dissolved clutch packs with Dex/Merc fluids being used.

I have heard good things about Amsoil ATF in Hyundai transmissions, though.

Originally Posted By: 04SE

Not necessarily. It still has to be "Hyundai Approved." Just meeting the SPIII spec might not meet it 100%. It might require a Hyundai Approved emblem on the bottle or a specific endorsement on the back in words.

Ok. So who do I need to get in touch with at Hyundai to find out which SPIII compatible after market ATF fluids are "Hyundai Approved"? They must have some type of list somewhere. I just find it absurd that there is no other alternative other than the dealer fluid.
I am under the impression that any multi-vehicle ATF that supports the SPIII standard but is not "Hyundai Approved" will work just fine as many others on these boards have used with no issues. It would be silly for an after market manufacturer of ATF fluid to put their reputation of their product on the line by making false claims. The engineers that put these ATF formulations together have to meet standards as quoted in the e-mail form Warren distribution. "When a fluid’s characteristics and additive technology are consistent to the OEM product, our additive supplier makes a recommendation, “suitable for use” as to what transmissions a certain product can be used in." It seems Hyundai is using the warranty and lack of "approved fluids" to play the warranty game and quite frankly I am shocked that this has not become a legal issue for them.
I will be digging further to see how far I can get with Hyundai on this matter. The engineers that designed these transmissions would understand it best and would be the ones that would give a true final answer.
If anyone has any type of contact numbers to Hyundai they can provide on here it would help on the quest.

In case anyone is interested I managed to find the manucaturer of the factory Hyundai Diamond SPIII fluid that the dealers sell. They are Petro Canada and the MSDS sheet is at http://www.worldpac.com/msds/pdfs/WP-127.pdf. I called and asked them if they sell the fluid under a different label but no luck. They are claiming that they just produced a new multi-vehicle ATF about a month ago and will be showing up on shelves in the US starting on the east coast and is also "suitable for use" in transmissions requiring SPIII.

Ok. So who do I need to get in touch with at Hyundai to find out which SPIII compatible after market ATF fluids are "Hyundai Approved"? They must have some type of list somewhere. I just find it absurd that there is no other alternative other than the dealer fluid.
I am under the impression that any multi-vehicle ATF that supports the SPIII standard but is not "Hyundai Approved" will work just fine as many others on these boards have used with no issues. It would be silly for an after market manufacturer of ATF fluid to put their reputation of their product on the line by making false claims. The engineers that put these ATF formulations together have to meet standards as quoted in the e-mail form Warren distribution. "When a fluid’s characteristics and additive technology are consistent to the OEM product, our additive supplier makes a recommendation, “suitable for use” as to what transmissions a certain product can be used in." It seems Hyundai is using the warranty and lack of "approved fluids" to play the warranty game and quite frankly I am shocked that this has not become a legal issue for them.
I will be digging further to see how far I can get with Hyundai on this matter. The engineers that designed these transmissions would understand it best and would be the ones that would give a true final answer.
If anyone has any type of contact numbers to Hyundai they can provide on here it would help on the quest.

In case anyone is interested I managed to find the manucaturer of the factory Hyundai Diamond SPIII fluid that the dealers sell. They are Petro Canada and the MSDS sheet is at http://www.worldpac.com/msds/pdfs/WP-127.pdf. I called and asked them if they sell the fluid under a different label but no luck. They are claiming that they just produced a new multi-vehicle ATF about a month ago and will be showing up on shelves in the US starting on the east coast and is also "suitable for use" in transmissions requiring SPIII.

Well, here are a few things for you to consider:

1. Manufacturers are not required to have a fluid licensing program. They are allowed to keep their formulation proprietary, which is what many manufacturers are doing, such as Nissan, Toyota, Honda and Hyundai.

2. From a conversation that I had with a transmission engineer at a leading automaker, I was told very explicitly that it is extremely difficult to prove a fluid related failure. However, this doesn't stop your local dealership from denying your warranty solely based on your fluid choice. While you may be right under the Magnuson-Moss Act, is it worth the uphill battle?

3. The wording from Warren distribution's e-mail claiming "consistent to the OEM product" is a bit concerning. As I mentioned in item #1, when a fluid is proprietary (such as SP-III), the complete fluid specifications are not released. Chances are, the fluid only undergoes minimal field testing to ensure compatibility, which is not as extensive as the OEM validation program for transmission fluids. The multi-vehicle products probably work OK for most customers though. After all, depending on your driving conditions, you might be able to run tractor fluid if you only drove it to the liquor store once-a-week. Nevertheless, is the multi-vehicle product truly equivalent to the OE approved product? Unlikely. If you'd like to gain a better understanding as to why a multi-vehicle fluid is a compromise, see SAE Paper # 2007-01-3987.

Hyundai auto trannys are computer controlled and will 'learn' how to shift . Different driving techniques and inputs will modify the tran's behaviour.
I intend to use the new Super Tech fluid in a personal Hyundai Sonata.

mechtech2, in what MY Sonata do you plan to use ST ATF?

How long/miles did it take for the shifts in your personal Sonata to stop taking so long? Or does it just continue sloppy shifting by design?

Thanks.

Go to Hyundai-Forums.com and read posts there on SP3. From what I've read Chrysler made transmissions for Mitsubishi and Hyundai.
Mopar ATF+4 (fully synthetic) is what I would use in my newly acquired 2002 Santa FE. It's $4.74/quart at my Walmart.

Originally Posted By: Ada_Potato
Go to Hyundai-Forums.com and read posts there on SP3. From what I've read Chrysler made transmissions for Mitsubishi and Hyundai.
Mopar ATF+4 (fully synthetic) is what I would use in my newly acquired 2002 Santa FE. It's $4.74/quart at my Walmart.

Just because the transmission was made by Chrysler does not mean the Chrysler fluid is acceptable.

The fluid requirement is dependent on the control system, the friction material and a few other factors. Even if the transmissions were identical, a different control system (such as programming) could easily change the fluid requirement.

From what mechtech2 wrote above, the design sounds similar to Chrysler ATs.

But I have to drive a modern Chrysler AT to believe they are that sloppy.

Critic, I am not implying that means ATF requirements are the same.

I was at ron marhofer hyundai in green (by akron ohio)

and while I was standing there waiting on my replacement snowtire to be mounted and balanced.. a tech came in and was talking about a failed santa fe transmission.. apparantly the fluid test came back for non spIII so they called the customer down and were denying his warrenty while i was standing there..

I think ill just suck it up and use the spIII its 5/qt

edit: woah topic architech here.. didnt see the date.

Last edited:
I have not read of a SINGLE Hyundai transmission issue or failure over the years where a "suitable for use" SP3 ATF was used. Using an ATF that doesn't say anything about SP3 on the bottle is a different story. People tend to lump those cases in with anything that's not genuine Hyundai SP3. It's simply not the case. You're talking apples to oranges.

edit- Oh Khrap! this thread is an oldie!

Joel

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back