Hyundai PSF-3 Power Steering Fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been digging through the forum for recommended power steering fluid for my 2002 Hyundai Santa Fe. Accoring to the owners manual it states to use PSF-3 which is only available at the dealer. I have been digging around and some claim that the Hyundai SPIII ATF fluid is the same fluid as in the P/S. I was skeptical until I stumbled on a technical data sheet for Motul Multi ATF with the following specs:

GM DEXRON III G / III H / II D / II E, Allison C4,
FORD MERCON & MERCON V,
Daimler Chrysler ATF +3, ATF +4, MB 236.9
JASO 1A
Hyundai / Kia Diamond ATF SPIII & PSF 3
Voith G607, ZF TE-ML 03D / 04D / 14A

http://www.motorspot.com/MULTI ATF 8449 (GB).pdf

What can possibly be unique about this fluid? It is the only one that claims can be used in both the AT and P/S. Not cheap at 11.50 a quart.
If they claim this AT fluid can be used in the P/S then why can't a Multi Vehicle ATF that supports the SPIII standard be used as well?

I did some research on the power steering fluid recently. My wife's Elantra had a leaking high pressure hose and after it was replaced I wanted to flush out all the fluid and replace it with new. From what I was able to find out, lots of people are using regular ATF. I think you would be fine with either regular power steering fluid (which many say is same as ATF without the red dye) or ATF. I ended up using generic ATF for both the Elantra and my Toyota.

I think when it comes to the transmission you want to make absolutely sure it's the Hyundai fluid, but for power steering there are several options.

You hit it right on the head, there is nothing special about it. The fluid in my Rio's PS system was definately SPIII, although it does call for the same PSF fluid. I'm now using Amsoil ATF for the trans and PS. In the PS I've been using it for about 30k miles already only 13k miles in the trans.

I've posted VOA and a UOA with 25k miles in the trans section for my rio on factory SPIII its nothing special.

Last edited by a moderator:
Where is the Hyundai PS fluid made? If it is from Korea, it is probably made by GS (Goldstar Oil) which is a licensee of Chevron/Caltex.

If it from here, it is probably just repackaged ATF.

I don't know where the PS fluid is made but the SPIII fluid is made by Petro Canada. I had called them to get some info about it but they did not disclose all that much other than that they make it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back