how good is quaker state oil???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Johnny
I guess old lazaro is the expert on the quality of Quaker State so I will just suggest all questions be forwarded to him.

LOL.gif

I haven't seen Shell oil in a while. I used to buy it by the case at Dollar General when it was 3/1.00.

Originally Posted By: adibigs
where in ny you located im on the island.

I'm waaaaaaay up north. In Ticonderoga.

Hi Adibigs....I have a 07'Sonata GLS 4 cyl.....I changed the factory fill @ 900 miles an I must say it came out like dirty water !!......I was shocked....I switched to 5/20 Pennzoil...I believe the local Hyundai dealer, on Long Island also, uses bulk 10-30 Agip,I snooped around, although they seem to recommend Quaker..How do you like the Sonata ?...I believe QS is good oil, and is a it cheaper than Pennzoil....TCP442

I guess old lazaro is the expert on the quality of Quaker State so I will just suggest all questions be forwarded to him.

LOL! hey hey hey! I just said the old saying was...
27.gif

Sad that some may think so...
smirk2.gif

Excellent oil. I'd run it with no worries.

Bill

Originally Posted By: lexus114
Originally Posted By: Saturn_Fan
Originally Posted By: genynnc
x3

Not to take away from other conventionals but anything from SOPUS seems to lay down some very good UOA results...even the lowest of the line- Formula Shell (I think that's there bottom shelf oil)

I have been pimping Formula Shell on here for awhile now and I am glad it is getting some respect. Great oil at a great price, especially when you can stock up on it when it hits .49 a quart from time to time.

Where do you get the formula shell oil at?

I get Formula Shell at Checker Auto Parts and at Blains Farm and Fleet which is a chain store here in WI and IL. Right now its on sale for 1.89 a quart, which is about a buck more than I like to spend on it.

Originally Posted By: adibigs
i find myself to be a very curious guy and i get very into things easily. i own a 2008 sonata and wanted to know what oil they factory fill their vehicles with and it happens to be quaker state.

It's very good oil, and I've seen cars go well 100,000 miles using QS exclusively (I used to work for a local QS product oil change facility in the early 1990s called "Insta-Lube")...

It's an SM-rated oil made by a large conglomerate (Shell). Why would anyone think different? We did get the odd old timer that was worried about a "paraffin wax build-up," but since QS had long since dropped the pretense of being based in Pennsylvania --and using exclusively PA sourced basestocks long ago-- it was a pretty silly worry in the advent of SH/SJ motor oils!

I have seen the Hyundai manuals though, and do think it odd that they have it plastered all over the oil-spec's page as if it is the only thing to use. That does seem a bit dubious since their "stealerships" probably use the cheapest brandname oil they can contract.

Last edited:
You see it in the Hyundai owners manuals because it is factory fill on all Hyundai made in the USA. No different than seeing Mobil 1 on the oil caps of GM products. Part of the contract that was written.

anybody know if that 10 year 250,000 mile warranty or whatever it is that quaker state is offering is worth anything or is it total marketing hype ?

Originally Posted By: jediwebmstr
anybody know if that 10 year 250,000 mile warranty or whatever it is that quaker state is offering is worth anything or is it total marketing hype ?

Both.

If you change your oil every 4k miles with QS (or any other API rated oil for your engine) you'll make 250k with a high 90s% chance.(or real close to that number
grin2.gif
)

There is a lab that we use here in SLC and they drive around Toyota Corollas (well used to, they are now driving HHRs and Cobolts) with 300k plus miles on them. Beat to death and oil changed every 7-9k (and nomally a quart low at least at oil change time) and they sold those cars still running fine for $1000. (I tried to buy one but they were all sold when I was in Montana on vacation this July)

Changing the oil sometimes is a good thing!

I doubt QS had payed out every much with the program.

Take care, Bill

All oil with proper rating is good. What makes one better than the other?? PRICE, of course!! I have around 200qts, various flavors. I have QS, and will use it with confidence

Quote:
how good is quaker state oil???

How good is it now? Don't know. I quit using it back when the more common name of "Caker State" was attached to it. Lost any hint of reconciliation with me when it proudly proclaimed "Now With SLICK 50!!!!!"

That was only a few years ago....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back