AMSOIL MP and rubber - compatible?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey fellas,

I was cleaning some new 50 cal ammo cans and decided to lubricate the hinges with Amsoil Metal Protector HD. I accidentally got some on the lid's rubber gasket. I tried to wipe it off, but ended up just spreading it around.

I closed the can and noticed that having the MP on the gasket made it very easy to close! Better than the silicone grease I usually use and when dry, it won't attract dirt like grease.

So here's the question - is MP HD compatible with rubber? I'd love to use it on all my ammo cans, but not if its going to cause the seals to deteriorate...

thanks much,
ben

MP HD dries like a wax, good for keeping things in storage from rusting. the white can of MP is more like wd40 and evaporates in time. neither product will harm rubber.

Originally Posted By: mpersell
I think silicone is a better puppy there but I don't think MP will harm the rubber.

Silicone = cheap, and that's the best part.

Originally Posted By: Saturn_Fan

Silicone spray has been my product of choice for years. It's absolutely compatible, that's for sure!

While it is cheap, it doesn't seem to work really well and it seems to not last very long. Seems like I've got to re-coat the gaskets on my ammo cans at least yearly using spray silicone.

One of the things I couldn't get over with the MP HD was how smoothly the can open and closed. I've never had spray silicone work as well as the MP HD.

thanks,
b

Originally Posted By: kd5byb
Originally Posted By: Saturn_Fan

Silicone spray has been my product of choice for years. It's absolutely compatible, that's for sure!

While it is cheap, it doesn't seem to work really well and it seems to not last very long. Seems like I've got to re-coat the gaskets on my ammo cans at least yearly using spray silicone.

One of the things I couldn't get over with the MP HD was how smoothly the can open and closed. I've never had spray silicone work as well as the MP HD.

thanks,
b

You speak well of the product. I may have to have Amsoil throw me in a can when I place my SSO order.

I'm pretty sure they are rubber - at one time I had the mil spec drawing and I recall it said BUNA-N as the gasket material... But that was years ago and I've got a bad case of CRS.

thanks,
b

The straight AMSOIL MP is one of their oldest products, I think it was introduced in 1974. I have friends that like it better than any other products on guns. I use it regularly around the garage and house. I like it because the carrier fluid evaporates and leaves a protective film. I also like the HD MP and have many uses for this product.

I tried it on guns, and well it is not the best. There are other products beter. Just do some searching online.

Originally Posted By: dargo
I tried it on guns, and well it is not the best. There are other products beter. Just do some searching online.

lubrication wise? protection wise? greasy feel?

I used it to spray the under carriage of my Jeep, I would not use it on a gun! It would be pretty tough to get off, and if it came in contact with the trigger or firing pin I think it would gum it up, its too heavy, and is not oily when dry. Not bashing the product in any way, shape, or form. It wouldn't be a good gun lube.

Frank D

HD MP shouldn't really be used on guns, unless you are somehow coming up with a long term storage plan. And even then it will be a bit of a bear to clean them when taking them out of storage in 50 years.

Pablo or Gary, is the regular MP kind of like WD-40? Just reading the description it does a lot of what WD-40 does. I personally use the MP on my garage door rollers and springs.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
Pablo or Gary, is the regular MP kind of like WD-40? Just reading the description it does a lot of what WD-40 does. I personally use the MP on my garage door rollers and springs.

It's maybe similar in viscosity to WD-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back