Benalene Grease

Status
Not open for further replies.
The gear box on my snowblower was leaking so i replaced the seal. It still leaks.It calls for Benalene grease. What is it, where can i get it, what would be a replacement for it?
Why would it still leak after a seal replacement?

What brand of snowblower? Possible bent shaft or bad bearing could still be causing it to leak and might be the reason the seal went out in the first place.

Cub Cadet garden Tractor, the input shaft seal.If the bearing is bad would it allow grease to flow through it?

Last edited:
If the bearing was bad it might help distort the seal in to leaking. Both old and new, but I'm not certain about that application. Do you have a Cub Cadet dealer close by to ask about that special grease?

He's a half hour drive.
I can order it from cub cadet for 17 bucks for a 8oz tube,seems high.
Thought maybe i could use something from an auto store.
The guts of the box are 4 bearings and 2 chain driven sprockets, thats it.

Benalene is just a liquid grease, NLGI #0 or #00.

Several people make it but its usually only shipped in 35lb pails or larger.

Anyone else seen tubes or small tubs of 0 or 00 grease?

My garden tiller calls for benalene. I was told $18 for 8 ounces and it takes more than 8 ounces (or $36). I use 00 grease and it is easy to find. It is what is used in Snapper rear ends. It runs around $8 for 32 ounces. Benalene is susposed to stand up to moisture better. The bottom line - enough moisture will cause bearing failure regardless of type of grease.

Check the shaft where the bearing sits. the shaft may have a groove wore into it simply from wear. If so, it will need to be built up by a machine shop or replaced. Around here it costs around $20 to have a small shaft built up and turned back down. I looks and works like new afterwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back