My Wix Oil Filter Loosened Up & Leaked

Status
Not open for further replies.
About 6,000 miles ago I put in PP & a new Wix oil filter.

A day ago, I noticed an oil spot showing up on the garage floor.

Looked around and found oil around the filter and found it a little loose!!

It didn't start leaking until 6,000 into the run. First time ever I've seen a leak like that...

Are the Wix known for loosening up or has this happened to you with those or others...??

How tight do you tighten your oil filters when you install them?

I always tighten mine 1 full turn (sometimes a bit more) after the gasket contacts the base.

I cannot see the seal to the base too well & tighten all my oil filters to about the same torque for the past 30 years. I would say about the same... It should have been plenty tight enough.

Originally Posted By: tpitcher

Are the Wix known for loosening up or has this happened to you with those or others...??

Was the weather warm when you installed the filter 6K miles ago and now have encountered cold weather?

I had this issue of a loose leaking filter when the first freezing temps hit my area. The problem was the gasket contracted just enough in the cold weather to start the leaking. Snugged the filter down and the problem went away.

Why............. YES !!

Hot weather when changed and it's all of a sudden freezing lately.

Bingo!

Good catch. Hard as it may be to admit, the filter wasn't tight enough. You proved this yourself by tightening it and stopping the leak. I too, change my own oil. I try to get them on tight enough not to leak and loose enough to remove by hand. Usually, I can do it. Once and a while I have to dig out the filter wrench. And I can remember a time or two having them leak. But at least I know what oil and how much went in. And so far, I havent driven off with the drain plug sitting on the drain pan.

It couldn't be the filter cause WIX is very high quality.

I purposely install the filter very tight so there will be no leaks for the entire 20K miles.

Well, like I said, this is the 1st time in 30 years, actually 32 years, of changing oil this has happened.

Oh brother.

Yes, I dipped my finger in the hot oil and ran it along the gasket.

Sorry I ever brought this up.

I give oil filters the Hulk Hogan hand twist. As tight as you can get em' by hand. Not much to grab onto with a filter, so it's hard to over-tighten it just by hand. Unless you're one of those guys who's actually built like Hulk Hogan.

Using this method I can usually get them loose by hand as well, maybe a small twist with the filter wrench.

I HATE when a car comes in with the oil filter torqued down to about 100 ft/lbs. I've seen filters so tight that it mashed the gasket to the point of rubbing some paint off the top of the filter housing. Amazingly it didn't leak. Too tight is just as bad as too loose.

Maybe the filter gasket got a bit of shrinkage when it got cold, we as males can probably relate.
cool.gif

Originally Posted By: andyd
....And so far, I havent driven off with the drain plug sitting on the drain pan.

You wouldn't notice the huge puddle of oil on the floor?

Originally Posted By: tpitcher
Oh brother.

Yes, I dipped my finger in the hot oil and ran it along the gasket.

Sorry I ever brought this up.

Do not let it get to you. It happens more than people care to admit or understand why it happens.

I brought up the issue with a co-worker that had his own independent repair shop for quite a few years. He stated he always got 5-10 of these instances of people coming in after the first cold snap complaining of "oil leaks" with the contracted gasket issue on the filter. Seems more prevalent with the semi o-ring type gaskets on the import made filters than the flat gaskets on the USA made filters.

Last edited:
For the first time ever I tightened the filter with only my hand on my car last time I changed the oil. I think I'm going to run it up on the ramps and make sure it's still tight.....

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
For the first time ever I tightened the filter with only my hand on my car last time I changed the oil. I think I'm going to run it up on the ramps and make sure it's still tight.....

My tip of the day...

When hand tightening an oil filter, I find that cupping it with a piece of sand paper while doing it give you some bite to really snug it tight, but not too tight for next time.

I just installed a Wix oil filter last month and I've been meaning to check it and the my oil levels out with 1,500 miles added since then. I used a filter wrench and gave it a 1/4 twist. I doubt it will be loose but you never know.

I'll check back this weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back