5W-20 in a PT Cruiser

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was wondering if I use 5W-20 rather then the recommended 5W-30 would help in getting better MPG in a 02 PT? This is my dad's car. This engine and car only manages 25 mpg tops on the highway. My parents live in Socal desert. They take long trips to Las Vegas a few times a year. The car is on empty when they arrive 4 hours later. I still can't believe this with a 4 cylinder engine.

I noticed the 07-08 Chrysler products with the 2.4L now use 5W-20. So I assume it would work okay with his 02?

Thanks for the help.

I would try 0W20 then take a sample at around 5k miles for UOA. He should also clean or buy a new air filter, the clog air filter rob mpg up to 20%, also check the tire pressure and pump up to 4 psi above recommendation.

Last summer I had PP 5W20 (instead of M1 0W40 recommended by MBUSA) in MB E430 and went to Vegas with 3 person plus luggage, the temperature was more than 120F at Death Valley, I got more than 26.5 MPG with cruise control set at 85 MPH. The EPA is 17/24 MPG City/Hwy. All previous Las Vegas trips with M1 0W40 I got less than 24 MPG with the same speed of 85 MPH.

I doubt that it will alter their highway mileage enough to notice. Tell them to do under 85 on the trip to Vegas and see how much longer the tank lasts.

..but the engine should be fine with a 20 grade.

Originally Posted By: Finklejag
I was wondering if I use 5W-20 rather then the recommended 5W-30 would help in getting better MPG in a 02 PT? This is my dad's car. This engine and car only manages 25 mpg tops on the highway. My parents live in Socal desert. They take long trips to Las Vegas a few times a year. The car is on empty when they arrive 4 hours later. I still can't believe this with a 4 cylinder engine.

I noticed the 07-08 Chrysler products with the 2.4L now use 5W-20. So I assume it would work okay with his 02?

Thanks for the help.

I got a lot better than that in a 3 speed automatic Dodge Neon (PT Clone). Sounds like a little lighter foot would help.

The 2.4L currently in Chrysler products is NOT the same 2.4 as is in your 2002 PT Cruiser. The 2007+ 2.4L is the Hyundai-Mitsubishi-Chrysler World Engine that also comes in 1.8 and 2.0L flavors. The engine in your PT is a variant on the Neon engine and was only in Chrysler products (built in Saltillo, Mexico).

Also note that PT Cruisers are heavier and less aerodynamic than their Neon cousins and typically will get inferior gas mileage, especially with the automatic.

I was in their car on one of the Vegas trips. My dad doesn't drive over 65 mph
05.gif

If this is a different 2.4L then what is in the newer Chryslers. I might try Mobil 1 0W-30 instead.

My uncle's 02 PT Cruiser is lucky to get 16 mpg around town and about 25 on the highway. He always comes to borrow one of my "gas guzzling" Buicks when he goes on a road trip. He says he forgets what it's like to get 35mpg on the open road.

I would definitely not run 5w20 on this old an engine. It was designed way before the 5w20 was a gleam in CAFE's eye. The fuel mileage benefits would be negligible at best, and not worth the added wear and tear you would possibly get in running a lighter weight. FWIW my uncle claims best fuel mileage out of M1 5w30.

Last edited:
Dirty air filters don't harm gas economy, as the MAF and O2 sensors compensate on modern fuel injection engines when cruising.
This is a hold over from carbureted days, when the air filter would act just like a manual choke. Maybe a really blocked one could hurt, though.
Any idea how fast they traveled? It turns out that a few miles per hour faster is significant. A lot faster is more significant.

The PT Cruisers do not impress with fuel economy. I wouldn't recommend running 5W-20 in it either...and if you did, I doubt you'd see any measurable difference in economy. The Mobil 1 0W-30 would probably be "the best" in terms of fuel economy...or any lightweight 30W oil for that matter. For example Havoline oils are typically blended on the "thin" side of the viscosity grade.

Originally Posted By: kingrob
My uncle's 02 PT Cruiser is lucky to get 16 mpg around town and about 25 on the highway. He always comes to borrow one of my "gas guzzling" Buicks when he goes on a road trip. He says he forgets what it's like to get 35mpg on the open road.

I would definitely not run 5w20 on this old an engine. It was designed way before the 5w20 was a gleam in CAFE's eye. The fuel mileage benefits would be negligible at best, and not worth the added wear and tear you would possibly get in running a lighter weight. FWIW my uncle claims best fuel mileage out of M1 5w30.

HOLY [censored]!!! I get better MPG with my V8

We have a '05 PT C Turbo convertible. The MPG range is 24-26.

I run Amsoil 0W-20. The UOA has been excellent for 10K miles OCI.

Run 0W-20 without fear...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back