VW Passat W8 oil requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, new to the board. Searched to no avail (both board and internet). I have 2003 W8 Passat, one of the weardest engines on the road. I have just 12K on the clock and did two first oil changes at the dealer, I think they used bulk Castrol W5-40. When I talked to them at 10K service I figured that they know nothing about W8 and just put whatever they have in it. Anyway, I took out the manual and read oil requirements. Basically, oil need to meet one of two criterias:
-Meet VW 503 01 and 505 01, or
-ILSAC GF-3 and SAE 5W-40
Does anyone knows if such animal exists in North America? So far I haven't found one. All ILSAC GF-3 oils seem to have 0W-40 weight, all VW503.01 have only VW505.00 specs, and vice versa. I know it's weard that gasoline engine asks for VW 505.01, which is meant for latest desiel engines from VW. But can I find a reasonable oil that really meets those requirements? Any ideas?

Functionally, Mobil Delvac-1 should work just fine, as should Mobil-1 Truck and SUV 5W-40. Amsoil makes a 5W-40 "European Car" oil. Mobil-1 0W-40 should do the trick as well. If you were in Canada, I would also suggest XD-3 0W40, Shell Rotella 0W40, or Petro Canada Duron 5W-40.

Basically any 5W-40 oil should suffice.

quote:

-ILSAC GF-3 and SAE 5W-40

That spec is not real hard to find. Some that are relatively easy to find in larger auto parts stores and sometimes in WalMart include:

Valvoline SynPower 5W-40,
Castrol Syntec 5W-40,
Mobil-1 "Truck & SUV" 5W-40 (horrible name!!!), &
Shell Rotella T Synthetic 5W-40

The first two also publish that they meet the European A3 specification. You don't find many oils in the US calling out the various European manufacturer specific specs like VW 503, etc.

I would bet that your dealer pumped in whatever 5W-30 bulk oil they use "for everything"
frown.gif

You certainly don't want anything to go wrong with that W8. I bet it is $$$$$$$ to repair or replace if anything big goes out on it. VW sort of went around the engineering bend on that one
smile.gif

John

Wait a minute. The guy needs 503.01, the Long-Life normal HT/HS spec oil, not A3 / VW 502 oil. The guy has warranty issues and VW will jump at the chance to cancel his warranty if he used Rotella. Any oil that meets VW 503.01 will be fine, regardless of advertised SAE viscosity range. German Castrol Syntec 0w-30 or Mobi1 0w-40 or Kendall 5w-40 all meet the spec and will go the recommended intervals for your engine. If needed, an A3 oil can be substituted for a very short oci. How about an 'ol cheap HDEO 15w-40? I bet it would work fine!

PS, an oil can meet multiple specs and better ones supercede lower ones. I don't believe all 5w-40 will work well. You want the best, VW 503.01 (or MB 229.3) Definately forget about GF-3, Mobil 1 0w-40 meets all the really tough Euro specs but won't say GF-3 even though it's a basic spec, it's been updated GF-4 now. Basicly there are 4 types of specs, Manufacturer, API, ISLAC, ACEA. You only need worry about the mfg spec VW 503.01 but should learn all of them.

[ March 24, 2005, 03:57 AM: Message edited by: Audi Junkie ]

I can highly recommend the Amsoil 5w-40 for this application. This assessment is based on the results I've seen to date in my Audi TT Quattro, w/ the 1.8L, 225 Hp turbo motor. I believe you'll find it to be much more shear stable than any SAE 0w-40 oil, simply due to the reduced level of polymeric thickener. I am also very confident you will see significantly less valvetrain wear than with the Mobil 1, 0w-40.

The Amsoil 5w-40 exceeds the VW 502.00/503.01/505.00
specifications for gas/diesel engines. The additive chemistry actually meets the CI-4+, HD diesel engine spec. The relevance of this is that the product has exceptionally good detergency, although it is intended for high performance, gas/diesel engine passenger cars and not diesel pickups.

Tooslick
Dixie Synthetics

So much confusion...
dunno.gif

The W-8 requires:

a) VWAG norm 503.01
b) VWAG norm 505.01 when equipped with oil life monitor

banghead.gif

It is all very cut and dry and there is absolutely no question about what is required. Please see this reference:

VW oil norms

For the list of oils that have VWAG 503.01 or 505.01 approval, please see:
VW oil lists

Mobil 1 0W-40 meets 503.01 and is commonly available in the United States. There are other alternatives. German Castrol 0W-30 is another good one
bowdown.gif

Unless your car is equipped with an oil monitor, you do not need to seek out VWAG 505.01 approved oil.

Keep in mind that a 5W-40 oil for European gasoline engines is a very different oil from a 5W-40 synthetic diesel engine oil. There might be some oils rated for both, but don't assume this is the case unless they're so labeled.

Ken

quote:

The W-8 requires:

a) VWAG norm 503.01
b) VWAG norm 505.01 when equipped with oil life monitor

[Bang Head]

It is all very cut and dry and there is absolutely no question about what is required. Please see this reference:

Those references are German market (note the .de URL). According to the original poster, the US Owners' Manual says that the oils must:

"-Meet VW 503 01 and 505 01, or
-ILSAC GF-3 and SAE 5W-40"

Not the word OR. OR means either option is acceptable. Not so cut and dried at all!

John

I don't have W8 but a 1.8T. I have 12ltrs of this on the ready(or GC 0w30) after the remaining 250mi left of this Auto-Rx/Rotella 5w40 rinse.

This Motul IS recommended for your W8.
-----------
8100 Ester E-Tech 0W-40

Gasoline and Diesel engine oil
100% Synthetic – Ester Based

TYPE OF USE
Specifically designed for powerful and recent cars, diesel direct injection or gasoline engines and catalytic converters.
Recommended for Audi TT and S3 and all W engines from Volkswagen group.
Suitable for leaded or unleaded gasoline, Diesel fuels and LPG.

PERFORMANCE
STANDARDS - ACEA A3 / B3 / B4
APPROVALS API SJ / CF
VW 502 00 / 505 00 / 503.01 - Mercedes Benz 229.3 - Porsche
This 100% synthetic engine oil has been formulated, developed and tested according to the most recent technical requirements. It largely exceeds the stringent specified engine performance limits required by the European and US car manufacturers.
* The performance ACEA B4 request an outstanding detergent/dispersent power and a better viscosity increase resistance due to soot needed for a perfect lubrication of last generation Direct Injection Diesel engines (exception for VW unit injector engines asking for MOTUL 6100 5W-40 VW 505 01)
* The VW 503.01 standard requires at the same time low volatility, high efficiency lubricant, friction reduction, high resistance at high temperature met in modern engines to allow extended drain intervals (computer on board).
* The standard MB 229.3 is more stringent than 229.1 in terms of ageing resistance (extended drain interval : computer on board), detergent / dispersent power (see ACEA B4) and requests fuel economy performance : 1.2% fuel economy improvement versus reference 15W-40.

RECOMMENDATION
Drain interval : refer to manufacturers’ recommendations and tune to your own use.
MOTUL 8100 E-tech 0W-40 can be mixed with synthetic or mineral oils.

http://www.turbofrogperformance.com/PDF_files/8100_E-tech_0W-40.pdf
----------------
I think the 505.01(TDI-PD oil) in the VW W8 manual is a typo(w/ VW, not surprised)..looks like they meant 503.01 & 505.00.

[ March 25, 2005, 12:44 AM: Message edited by: vwoom ]

Yeah, it must be a typo. VW customer care replied that dealer is the best source for information on oil required in my climate zone for my car. So far it seems that asking for VW503.01 and 505.01 on the same oil is asking for inpossible combination and I will have to pick and choose. Most (if not all) "euro formulas" 0W-40s seem to have VW503.01, which is norm for W line of engines (not much of a line anyway, so far rearer then some "exotics" W8 Passat and W12 Phaeton, maybe some more W12s coming soon). I am thinking of 0W-40 M1, but worry if reports of it shearing to 30 grade might affect my engine. I looked at papers from the dealer and noted that they put part number for oil corresponding to 5W-50 Syntec. Does it even exists? I don't think I've seen one... They swear to use Castrol Syntec 5W-40 for 1.8T and W8 engines. They also swear they will change my oil with Syntec for $50, which doesn't seem right. Doubt they will use 8.3 litres of synthetic and OEM filter for such fair price (it will cost me $45 to buy M1 at Wall-Mart). They claim they take a "loss" on W8s, but keep the price to show one "uniform" synthetic oil change price (making profit on tiny 4.x litres sumps of 1.8T). Well, I guess, if their story is backed up somehow (will oil analysis show type of oil?), I'll stick with their service. Castrol Synthec 5W-40 seems to be just as fine choice. Any comments on that?

quote:

Originally posted by Vlad:
...which is norm for W line of engines (not much of a line anyway, so far rearer then some "exotics" W8 Passat and W12 Phaeton, maybe some more W12s coming soon)...

Don't forget this "W"

-

-

* W-16 rated up to 1,001 horsepower
* Top speed of 250+ mph (400+ kph)
* Zero-to-60 time of three seconds
* Zero-to-180 time of 14 seconds

All with a price tag somewhere in the $1 million range.
shocked.gif

Amsoil 5w-40 would be great. I'd also check out the Castrol 5w-40 at AutoZone. I believe that carries those specs.

The VW 505.01 formulations are mainly for the "Pumpe Duese" unit injection, TDI diesel engines, but can also be used for some current VW/Audi engine types (RS6 turbo, 3.2L/VR-6, 4.2L/V-8, W8).

A 5w-40, HD diesel oil has a very different additive package than an ACEA A3/B4 rated oil intended for high performance gas/diesel engine passenger cars.

TS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back