Carburetor Cleaner vs. Brake Cleaner

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's the difference between the two? I've noticed that brake clean is a little bit more expensive than the carburetor cleaner, but aside from that, I've seen no difference in terms of performance.

I think Brakleen would leave less/no residue as compared to the carb cleaner, while carb cleaner behaves more as a penetrant.

I am e-mailing CRC to see if I can get an explanation from the experts.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
What's the difference between the two? I've noticed that brake clean is a little bit more expensive than the carburetor cleaner, but aside from that, I've seen no difference in terms of performance.

FWIW, when I have oil spills on my garage floor, the CRC Brake Kleen stuff works a lot better than does the carb cleaner. In fact, I have found nothing better than a can of Brake Kleen, a scrub brush, and soapy water for getting rid of oil spots.

Yeah, I buffer at least one can of brake clean into every service event. CRC Green can or equivalent.

Yup, brakeclean leaves no residue to contaminate pads/shoes.

Carb cleaner doesn't break down into anything too poisonous when it combusts/gets heated.

I have seen some brake cleaners with chlorinated solvents, but never a carb cleaner with chlorinated solvents.

In many cases, however, chlorinated solvents for brake cleaner have either been banned or taxed very highly.

I used to use carb cleaner to clean my pistols, until I accidentally got some on the ABS plastic grips on my Ruger MKII. it melted them like they were butter.

It also leaves a white film behind on the metal.

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
I used to use carb cleaner to clean my pistols, until I accidentally got some on the ABS plastic grips on my Ruger MKII. it melted them like they were butter.

It also leaves a white film behind on the metal.

Ouch! Try some Ed's Red already made or make your own.
thumbsup2.gif

I've gotten brake cleaner on my paint with no ill effects and I've gotten carb cleaner on the paint and watched the paint run right off. Be careful around the paint of your vehicle when using carb cleaner. IMHO, Carb cleaner attacts gum and varnish better in a fuel system and allows it to be combusted better while the engine is running(possibly not leaving any deposits). Also, carb cleaner should not hurting any of the internal materials of the fuel system. IMHO, Brake cleaner attacts grease and brake dust better while not hurting any of the rubber parts or painted parts in the brake system.

I would also think that you can use carb cleaner for brakes and visa-versa but, not all of the time on your own vehicles. Only in a pinch. All of the time could cause problems down the road. Also, I don't think that either of these cleaners should be used all of the time anyway! Only once in a while!

Originally Posted By: Char Baby

I would also think that you can use carb cleaner for brakes..

Not unless you know for sure what it is going to do to rubber piston seals. That isn't a chance I'd want to take.

Brake cleaner usually has the same active ingredient as drycleaning fluid: tetrachloroethylene or perchloroethylene.

I've used it to get spots of of clothes before.

Originally Posted By: brianl703
Brake cleaner usually has the same active ingredient as drycleaning fluid: tetrachloroethylene or perchloroethylene.

I didn't know that. I know in a town I used to live, there is an entire neighborhood that was affected by dry cleaners disposing of the perchloroethylene. It is now a toxic waste site and they are attempting a clean up. Nasty stuff.

Brake cleaner dries fast, and is pretty much residue free.
I wouldn't use it on a MAF unless you HAD to, and spray MAF cleaner was not available.
Carb cleaner takes longer to evaporate, but is stronger and will clean varnish, old fuel residue, etc. better.
For day to day cleaning of greasy parts, brake cleaner is the first thing to grab, but carb cleaner will work on the tough stuff [and naturally carb parts!}.

Originally Posted By: Saturn_Fan

I didn't know that. I know in a town I used to live, there is an entire neighborhood that was affected by dry cleaners disposing of the perchloroethylene. It is now a toxic waste site and they are attempting a clean up. Nasty stuff.

Central Avenue is still blocked off right in front of the building.

CRC's non-chlorinated brakleen (what we get in CA)

COMPONENT % by Wt.
Acetone 20 - 30
Toluene 35 - 45
Methanol 25 - 35
Carbon dioxide 5 – 10

basically laquer thinner

CRC brakleen

Tetrachloroethylene (PERC) > 95%
Carbon Dioxide < 5%

CRC clean-r-carb low voc (calif. stuff)
Acetone 45 - 55
Toluene 85 - 35
Methanol 10 - 20
Carbon dioxide 5 – 10

CRC clean-r-carb

Acetone 20 - 30
Toluene 35 - 45
Methanol 25 - 35
Carbon dioxide 5 – 10

Same ingredients as non-chlorinated brakleen just different concentrations.

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak

Central Avenue is still blocked off right in front of the building.

Wow, they are still working on that hah? Good to have a Billings contact.
thumbsup2.gif

I've been using brake cleaner as cheap starting fluid for my random lawn equipment.

Imagine my shock when they took the "fire" out of my latest can!

Wow, they are still working on that hah? Good to have a Billings contact.
thumbsup2.gif

Yup, and they're probably going to bill it to the owners of that dry cleaning company.

They had a big crane in there pounding huge I beam looking things down into the ground. You could see them sticking up, forming what looked like a wall right in the middle of the street. I think most of that is gone now, but the street is still blocked off.

There is actually another Billings member on here, Riptide but he doesn't post all that much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back