Is Citgo Supergard motor oil any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did a search function and came across nothing but Hugo Chavez threads regarding Citgo motor oil.

Citgo is on sale for .79 a quart. Don't hear much about the oil quality here. Is this any good?

Please leave out the politics of buying Citgo and the Hugo Chavez stuff, I am just trying to find out if the oil is decent at .79 a quart.

I ran it last winter in my 90 Mitsu Montero at -22 in January wife started it up early one morning to take kids to school when she returned noticed black streak in driveway. Upon changeing oil filter and hopeing it was just the gasket.Grabbed a quart out of the back and it wouldnt pour at all.Motorcarft semi synthetic in other vehicle still sloshed around in jug like 5-30 should.Verdict Blown front seal!

Originally Posted By: Lon
I ran it last winter in my 90 Mitsu Montero at -22 in January wife started it up early one morning to take kids to school when she returned noticed black streak in driveway. Upon changeing oil filter and hopeing it was just the gasket.Grabbed a quart out of the back and it wouldnt pour at all.Motorcarft semi synthetic in other vehicle still sloshed around in jug like 5-30 should.Verdict Blown front seal!

Wow! Looking at their product information sheet, it says that their 5w-30 and 5w-20 contain a minimum of 50% synthetic oil in them.

Hmm, maybe .79 a quart isn't quite the deal it sounds like based on the terrible thing that happened to you.

Last edited:
Of course its a good oil , buy as much as you can.

PepBoys used to sell Citgo (49 cents after rebate) and I would use it in all our cars, but they discontinued selling it.

I remember seeing a Citgo VOA once that had a ton of boron and moly in it. I may be mistaken, and even if I'm not that may no longer be the case.

If the blend is 50% synth, then it's a [censored] of a deal. I can get it everywhere in my town, and on the cheap!

the reason the seal blew out was because of all the communist sweat made it shrink....JK!

If it has an API starburst then I would use it. Cant beat that price.

Buy a quart and throw it in your freezer since we both live in cold climates maybe not the best for winter.I used to use it in our farm machinery and have bought several 5 gallon pails over the years and ran in my trucks without a problem.Used to be able to buy it for $21 for a five gallon bucket.

Read the spec sheet and has all the things a BITOGer would like to see. Man, I am getting lucky having a Farm Fleet near me. Tomorrow I am getting three cases of Mobil Clean 5000 for 1.49 with 8.50 rebate, a case of Citgo at .79 per quart after rebate, and more Mobil 1 oil filters for under five bucks a piece.

Last edited:
Buy a quart and throw it in your freezer since we both live in cold climates maybe not the best for winter.I used to use it in our farm machinery and have bought several 5 gallon pails over the years and ran in my trucks without a problem.Used to be able to buy it for $21 for a five gallon bucket.

I am just adding to my spring/summer/fall stash. I only use Amsoil 0w-30 or 5w-30 in winter here.

My current stash is down to 50 quarts of Pennzoil YB, and I like to keep about 100 quarts on hand. It is like an addiction!
LOL.gif

Where in WI are you? Me and a guy named Johnny here (lives in Wausau) are the only WisconsinitesI see around this board on a regular basis.

Last edited:
I hear you purchased a couple cases of Superguard last winter at Fleet Farm was same price at .79.Now running Schaeffers in my vehicles found a local source at $4.24 per quart Gets much colder here on sconsin than it does in Michigan

I hear you purchased a couple cases of Superguard last winter at Fleet Farm was same price at .79.Now running Schaeffers in my vehicles found a local source at $4.24 per quart Gets much colder here on sconsin than it does in Michigan

I had a temp gauge in my garage last winter and recorded -20F a few times and -10F quite a few times.

Installed a block heater on the Corolla and Saturn a few weeks ago. Just trying to the heater working a little quicker on those cold Wisconsin mornings that lie ahead...
shocked2.gif

Schaeffer's is good stuff and at 4.24, that seems like a great deal!

Last edited:
-20F temp INSIDE your garage during the winter !!!!!
crazy2.gif

Down here in south FL we get down to a bone chilling 65 degrees and thats considered very cold for us.
55.gif
There is no way I could even get out of bed in -20F temps.

Originally Posted By: Saturn_Fan

I had a temp gauge in my garage last winter and recorded -20F a few times and -10F quite a few times.

Installed a block heater on the Corolla and Saturn a few weeks ago. Just trying to the heater working a little quicker on those cold Wisconsin mornings that lie ahead...
shocked2.gif

We're now averaging 39F in the morning, and getting lower every day!

Seriously, block heaters are god's gift to us northernly drivers. If I don't use it, it usually takes me to about 1/2 way of my commute for the "cold" engine light to go out. When I plug her in, it's usually off by the end of my street.

Originally Posted By: firemachine69
Originally Posted By: Saturn_Fan

shocked2.gif

We're now averaging 39F in the morning, and getting lower every day!

Seriously, block heaters are god's gift to us northernly drivers. If I don't use it, it usually takes me to about 1/2 way of my commute for the "cold" engine light to go out. When I plug her in, it's usually off by the end of my street.

I actually had to purchase a Canadian Toyota block heater as the dealers here in Wisconsin said they don't even sell them as it is not a recommended item in the U.S.

Strangely enough, the only place I could find a Toyota OEM block heater for my Corolla was online through a Toyota dealer in Texas!

It is starting to get down to about 30F at night now and the high is dropping down to the low 50's during the day. It's coming, and if you believe the Farmer's Almanac, this area is going to be much colder than normal. Someone told me the FA has been about 85% accurate regarding weather trends, but don't know if that is true or not.

Citgo oil?

About five years ago I got a case of it at my local dollar tree. Did my first OCI and it had problems draining, I had to stick a pencil in the drain hole to loosen it up. It had "chunkified" into little bits of crud and goo. I was not impressed. I actually did a K&W engine flush (which I don't advocate) to get all the little bits of it out. FWIW, it was 5w30 in a properly maintained 2.2 ecotec that never before or after had sludge issues and this was a 3 month winter interval.

Bad batch? IDK. It wasn't like that going in, but it was pretty sludged up coming out. I used the rest on my twenty year old Murray lawnmower.

The only other oil I saw like that was some straight 30 weight Warren/Uni-lube that looked like charcoal briquettes coming out of the bottle.

Sissies
grin2.gif
Block heaters, warm garages
21.gif

Platinum 5W-20 in the wife's Element and Platinum 10W-30 in my Jeep. Both kept in an unheated garage.

Son's Element sets outside all winter where he goes to college, Platinum 5W-20 and absolutely no starting problems.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
Sissies
grin2.gif
Block heaters, warm garages
21.gif

Guilty as charged.
grin2.gif

I hate waiting for the heater to warm up my frosty nose and toes on a cold winter morning.

Unreal how cold it gets out in WI...

I thought we had it bad in upstate new york, but I guess not.

It rarely gets below zero..

I'll stick with my YB 5w30 with no block heater..

Used to work at a Fleet Farm Service Center.

Citgo used in bulk for most oil changes, never seen anything negative, most of the cars were frequent customers, oil seem to drain just fine and most cars had high mileage, must be doing something right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back