96 Toyota Avalon Power Steering Fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just notice the power steering fluid on my 96 Avalon is a little on the low side. I check my owner manual and it calls for the Dexron II or III ATF fluid for the power steering which is red, but when I looked at the fluid that is in my power steering container on the car, it is a clear liquid. So my question is, what should I add to the container, the Dexron III ATF fluid like the owner manual recommended or some clear power steering fluid that I can buy from either Advance Auto or any places that sale power steering fluid for car. The power steering fluid that I saw in the stores are all clear liquid and they didn't mention anything like Dexron II or III compatible etc. Any ideas or suggestions?

I think I've seen that clear liquid before in a Camry power steering unit. Most PWR steering fluids are red, the same color as ATF.

I have a 97 Avalon--same issue. I sucked out all of the fluid from the PS reservoir, filled it with the ATF, turned the wheel a few times, and removed/replaced the fluid again. No worries...

I really like Mobil 1 in our BMW and our 94 toyota previa ATF reservoirs. Smooth steering.

I have never seen PS fluid sold that is red. Usually clear or amber.
Automotive fluids are color coded for many years.
If a stock fluid in the car is red, it probably came with ATF as a PS fluid.
I would have no problems with using ATF to top off or flush your PS system.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
I have never seen PS fluid sold that is red. Usually clear or amber.
Automotive fluids are color coded for many years.
If a stock fluid in the car is red, it probably came with ATF as a PS fluid.
I would have no problems with using ATF to top off or flush your PS system.

You should check out Havoline PS fluid than! It is sold at Advance Auto Parts. It is the same color as ATF. http://www.havoline.com/products/na/powersteering.html

Last edited:
To the OP, put in ATF fluid into the power steering unit like the manual recommends. Someone probably flushed your power steering with power steering fluid along the way instead of flushing it out with ATF, like the manual recommends.

Suck out the fluid from your reservoir with a turkey baster 4-5 times with the proper ATF fluid and you should be good to go. Drive a couple of rounds around your block and turn your steering wheel from lock to lock several times to get the fluid circulating between each time you suck out the old fluid. You can also use Synthetic ATF if you want to spend a bit more.

Originally Posted By: Spartuss
To the OP, put in ATF fluid into the power steering unit like the manual recommends. Someone probably flushed your power steering with power steering fluid along the way instead of flushing it out with ATF, like the manual recommends.

Suck out the fluid from your reservoir with a turkey baster 4-5 times with the proper ATF fluid and you should be good to go. Drive a couple of rounds around your block and turn your steering wheel from lock to lock several times to get the fluid circulating between each time you suck out the old fluid. You can also use Synthetic ATF if you want to spend a bit more.

Synthetic ATF does cost more, but in the case of my dad's Lexus ES300, it did lighten the steering effort.

Well worth the extra $5 spent. The fluid was M1 MerconV.

I use Mobil 1 ATF in my power steering. Recently, I refilled the reservoir after sucking out the M1 ATF, with Amsoil ATF.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back