Rubber ramps - thoughts on them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm probably going to be buying these ramps on Saturday...

http://www.usedottawa.com/classified-ad/7055916

I'm looking forward to using them, as the would seem to be easier ramps to get up/down on than the narrow metal, or even Rhino ones, b/c they are lower and wider. However, you hardly ever see thm for sale, so thats why I'm 'jumping' on these....

Is there something I'm 'missing' about these that makes them a lousy buy/product to use? Even if there is, for $20, I'll give them a try.....

I don't think, just by looking at them, that they will raise the car quite as high as metal ones, but hopefully good enough to get under for OC....

I actually like that they are a bit lower, b/c if I accidentally drive off them, it won't cause as many, if any problems - the rubber won't dent/break the sills, and if they are low enough, they might not even hit them....

Also, rubber is nice and 'grippy' so they won't slide around, or slip away from the wheels when going up. I can put the car up myself, w/o needing a spotter to keep the ramps 'perfectly' straight.

Looking forward to trying them out next week!

If you don't snatch those up I will. Those look great! I bought some ABS ones and they suck for RWD vehicles because they want to continuously slide when you try to drive up them.

I have the rubber ones (maybe plastic) that are called Hippo I think (an animals name). Got them at AutoZone. I had the standard metal ones but the angle was such that cars with a front air dam could not use the metals ones but I can use the Hippo ones.

I bought a set of the Rhino ramps at O'reilly for around 30 bucks. They are suprisingly sturdy and I can get my Altima up and back down without scraping. I have also used them on my wife's Sport Trac and my mom's Grand Marquis with no problems. They have rubber pads on the front and the back to keep them from sliding even with a fwd car.

Thanks far all the comments!

I did end up buying the ramps, but they're not quite what I thought they were - the picture 'distroted' them, and they are actually fairly tall and narrow, they will fit the width of a car tire on them, that's it.

They are made of re-cycled rubber chips, so they are very ratty, and actually have some 'age cracks' in them, but they are almost completely solid, so they are still sturdy. Things weight about 40lbs apeice, too!

Looking forward to using them, I think they'll work great!

Last edited:
I had a pair of the Phino ramps with the rubber feet, but didn't like them because if I didn't hit them exactly right they would lift the big end up and swivel a little when starting to drive on them. Bought a set of metal ones from Wally world which worked good, but for the mini van and the boys saturn the air dam would hit. Went back and bought another set and cut the ramp part off of it and cut it to fit on the first set as a extension. Since the ramps weren't very expensive to start with I didn't have much invested in it. For just changing the oil a lot of times I will just drive up on the ramps as far as the extension and put my blocks behind the wheels. Have used them for several years now without a problem. Sold the Rhino ramps at a garage sale just to get them out of the way.

Originally Posted By: 65cuda
I had a pair of the Phino ramps with the rubber feet, but didn't like them because if I didn't hit them exactly right they would lift the big end up and swivel a little when starting to drive on them.

How do you not "hit them exactly right?" Do you drive up on them from a distance?
shocked2.gif

Jam the ramps against the front wheels. Get in the car and drive them up. The ramps won't move.

That isn't always the case with rear wheel drive vehicles on these plastic type ramps. My Rhino ramps have a tendency to slide forward when trying to ramp up pick-up trucks, corvettes or other early model rear wheel drive vehicles. This is true even when I pound the suckers into the front of the tires in a straight direction with a heavy kick from a steel toed work boot. Front wheel drives just climb up like no other for obvious reasons. To correct the issue I've made a simple T out of 2 2X4's and one end of the T goes against the back wall of my garage while the horizontal end supports the back side of the ramps to keep them from sliding forward. I'm probably going to get a portable lift this year though because I'm getting to the point where I'm annoyed by the various ramp and floor jack processes.

Maybe I'll come across this problem some day. So far I've had about 15 different cars on my ramps without any slippage. There were no pickup trucks or Corvettes.

Originally Posted By: pickled
I'm probably going to get a portable lift this year though because I'm getting to the point where I'm annoyed by the various ramp and floor jack processes.

ME TOO! Have you decided which one yet?

That's EXACTLY why I wanted to get a set of solid rubber ramps - these things are so heavy and 'grippy' from the tacky rubber, that I don't think I'll have a problem going up on them.

I'll hopefully be trying them out this coming week....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back