General Altimax HP

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought 2 for my car and 2 for Mom's. Kinda rare to fine the same tire in my odd 16" and her tiny 14" too. I get the rebate even though I only needed 2 tires, pretty good deal.

Just ordered another set of these for a relative's Neon.

With an H speed rating and a 50k warranty, all 4 for under $220 delivered, this is just too good a tire at too good a price to pass up.

Treadepot has free shipping going on now. So they are cheaper then Tirerack. Their free $50.00 Visa card offer is good through August 4th also.

I really like to by a set of this tire but it doesn't have my size: 235/45-17, it has one size larger at 245/45-17. The car is E430, I tried 245/45-17 before and it screwed up the ABS system, as soon as I switched back to 235/45-17 the ABS system went back to normal.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
I really like to by a set of this tire but it doesn't have my size: 235/45-17, it has one size larger at 245/45-17. The car is E430, I tried 245/45-17 before and it screwed up the ABS system, as soon as I switched back to 235/45-17 the ABS system went back to normal.

Wow, that is sensitive.
U can try one of the online tire size calculator to see if you can find an alternative that will keep the OEM ratios the same.

Tire Calculator

Last edited:
Got General Altimax HP for my 05 Honda Accord (15" wheel) as my Spring/Summer/Fall tire. Have about 2K on it.
Not bad overall. Good traction in rain. Fairly loud on fast-er highway turns/ramps (thread design), but quieter than worn out Michelin MXV's overall.
MPG went down ~1 MPG, but I guess it is expected when coming from energy conserving tire to M&S with aggressive thread.

It is probably good enough to be all season, but I am panicking the way my dear drives and got dedicated winter tires for both cars.

Last edited:
Don't pick on a poor foreigner
33.gif

Anyone have any experience in snow with these? I have a BMW 530i that I'm thinking of putting these on. The car currently has ContiTouringContact CH95, which are "ok" I guess. Hopefully I don't have to drive it often in the snow, but one never knows.

Thanks.

Still waiting for snow on our Altimaxes, but I can say from experience that the ContiExtremeContacts are VERY good in snow for an A/S. You may want to take a look at them, too, as they don't ride too hard for a UHP and handle a smidge better than the Altimax. The Altimax is a much more comfortable tire, overall, though.

I loved my set of Conti Extrmes on my quattro, but never ended up on another set. In snow, they are like a rallye tire. I have 2 Altimax HP stored for later in the season and WTB 4 of the RTs for the CRV next year.

I just purchased a set of 225/55/16s for a 2002 530i BMW I recently bought. These replace the OEM Continentals that came with it. I've only driven 10 miles on them, but they were quieter on the highway, that I could tell. BMW sets the tire pressure on the stock tires at 31 on the fronts, 40 on the rear. These can be set up to 51psi. Currently I'm running them at 35 front, 45 rear.

Originally Posted By: edvanp
BMW sets the tire pressure on the stock tires at 31 on the fronts, 40 on the rear. These can be set up to 51psi. Currently I'm running them at 35 front, 45 rear.

Just FYI, I have the same car but with the sport pkg (235/45/17 tires), and when I tried running such high PSI, I ended up wearing out the centers of my tires. I have since backed off and am running the PSI that BMW recommends for the rest of the world (outside of the US), which is 29 PSI front, 33 PSI rear.

BTW, are you planning to run these Altimax through the winter? Let us know how they fare. I just bought Bridgestone RE960 and will run them all year as well, but I don't plan to do a lot of driving when the white stuff's on the ground...

Thanks for the note Pete. I hope not to drive it much in the winter, as I do have an 02 Bravada, but I'm sure I'll test it out a few times to see how they perform. I'll post a few updates in the next few months too. I'll keep an eye on the center of the tires and back it off if need be. Thanks once again.

2k update on these tires. I really like them. Quiet, handle great on dry or wet roads, and did I mention they are quiet??? :)

No snow yet, but I will give them a try this winter just to see.

Mine went on the rear until later in the season. When they get to the front, I will give my $.02c, however all the feedback I get from real people claim they are great. I have a few sets going into-service w/friends and family.

I've only got about 2k on mine so far but for the deal I got I wouldn't complain as long as they were better than the walmart uniroyal tires I replaced. Two of the uniroyals were slightly out of round and the car only drove well with them mounted on the back. So no rotations. When I found the deal at treadepot.com for $75 off four and it lined up with the $50 rebate on the 4 general tires I bought a set. Rebate came quickly too. I sold the uniroyal tires with 60% to a young girl and told her about the out of round tires. I did mark the two and told her they should go on the rear. She didn't seem to care as the tires she was running were BALD!

my deal
(4)185/70R14 $48 = 192
discount - 75 117
rebate -50 67
uniroyals sold -30 37

I think that will be all time record for cheapest set of new tires ever! I will say the general altimax are quiet.

I've got a question. I'm planning on putting a set of the Altimax HP's on my mom's '96 Dodge Stratus. 195/65R15

What are folks paying for this size, after mounting, balancing, disposing of old tire(s), etc?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back