A comparison of Mobil 1 and Amsoil EaO oil Filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
One question on the Amsoil filter vehicle is a 2006 Toyota Tundra Limited Double Cab 4WD...is the EaO-34 the correct filter.

Originally Posted By: btanchors
Ok, with the popularity of this thread, you all have inspired me...Assuming I can scrape up enough $$ to continue this experiment (donations cheerfully accepted!), there are three choices I am willing to try - and I am willing to accept the consensus of the board here to help me choose:

1) Continue the test "as is" to obtain additional samples, using the same filters and the same lab (Blackstone) so that more data is obtained

2) Continue the test with Blackstone Labs, but choose a different filter. I get to pick the filter, though!

3) Continue the test, with a different lab (I'm thinking Analysts, Inc., because I've used them before) but continuing with the same filters.

Which of these three options does this board collectively prefer? You can send me Private messages if you prefer - I will summarize all responses and post the decision to this thread. I'll give everyone two weeks to respond - so get your vote to me by COB 10/20/08....

1) Continue the test "as is" to obtain additional samples, using the same filters and the same lab (Blackstone) so that more data is obtained.

But send them a VOA sample for comparison. In my test the 5k EaO particle count was in the same NAS class as the VOA.

Originally Posted By: Mamala Bay
One question on the Amsoil filter vehicle is a 2006 Toyota Tundra Limited Double Cab 4WD...is the EaO-34 the correct filter.

Actually the callout is EaO57.

JM - a virgin sample each time would be interesting.

Somebody is going to have to put up some cash to help out. If he does all this, he's practically buying blackstone stock. I'd do it, but my 'money-to-spend-on-oil-nuttiness' for the month was spent last night on a site donation.

The EaO-57 is the correct Amsoil filter, as is the Mobil M1-102. I have been using oversized filters here - The Mobil 1 M1-209, and the Amsoil EaO-34. The M1-209 and EaO-34 are interchangable - So I am comparing Apples to Apples. Is anyone concerned about this? I could understand if I were comparing, say, the recommended M1-102 with the EaO-34, but in this case, the filters cross reference to each other, so I don't think this should be an issue.

Also - I'd rather not use el-cheapo filters in this experiment - I'd rather stick to premium brands.

And finally - I went to the Purolator site to see what cross-references to the M1-209/EaO-34. It keeps giving me the standard Purolator number - It doesn't give me a cross reference to the PureOne filter. Does anyone know the Pure One equivalent to M1-209 and EaO-34?

One other thing - when I changed the oil at the most recent UOA, I installed another M1-209 - So the next filter chosen, assuming I go with option 2, won't be installed until probably mid-December, which means we won't be seeing UOA results until early Spring of 2009 - This is going to take awhile.

Greenaccord02 - I appreciate the idea! If anyone wants to contribute, I have a PayPal account set up that I've used for Ebay, if anyone wants to contribute - No amount is too small! PM me and I will send you the account ID.

Gary Allan,

I'm game - what other labs do you recommend? Does Analysts, Inc., use a different method?

CAT:Butler does it, but they don't like dealing with individuals. They like larger customers. I don't see why diluting the opaque sample to translucent and using a calculator is all that hard, but then again, I'm not someone paying to techs in a lab.

I've, more or less, given up on it. I've used the labs that I've used for continuity. I've never inquired with Terry Dyson about particle counting. Here's a board mod that has found an alleged cheap lab to do the preferred method

Ok, here's a thought on the #2 option.

Run the M1 against an orange fram.

We should bet on who wins - start a kind of 'paypal pot' - and when the results are shown winners get paid and you take a cut to offset costs.

I don't know if the M1 EP filter of today is similar to the M1 filter of the late 90s. Back then, I started extending the oil changes in my '93 Ciera.

I was running Mobil 1 5W30 and an extended length Mobil 1 filter. The air filter was a K&N in the stock airbox. I was using the Mobil 1 oil analysis at the time, which only gave grades, not actual number.

I started at 6k and started working my way up with each change. At 9k, I was still getting A grades, but when I went to 12k, the contaminent levels spiked and I got a low grade. The comment on the report was that it was indicative of a clogged filter, so I dropped back to 10k and never had another low grade.

My thought is that the Mobil 1 filter will clog sooner than the Amsoil filter, but you'd have to run the filters quite a bit further out to find out...

My reasoning is that synthetic media gives more pores for the same area than the same non-synthetic.

The EaO-57 is the correct Amsoil filter, as is the Mobil M1-102. I have been using oversized filters here - The Mobil 1 M1-209, and the Amsoil EaO-34. The M1-209 and EaO-34 are interchangable - So I am comparing Apples to Apples. Is anyone concerned about this? I could understand if I were comparing, say, the recommended M1-102 with the EaO-34, but in this case, the filters cross reference to each other, so I don't think this should be an issue.

Also - I'd rather not use el-cheapo filters in this experiment - I'd rather stick to premium brands.

And finally - I went to the Purolator site to see what cross-references to the M1-209/EaO-34. It keeps giving me the standard Purolator number - It doesn't give me a cross reference to the PureOne filter. Does anyone know the Pure One equivalent to M1-209 and EaO-34?

One other thing - when I changed the oil at the most recent UOA, I installed another M1-209 - So the next filter chosen, assuming I go with option 2, won't be installed until probably mid-December, which means we won't be seeing UOA results until early Spring of 2009 - This is going to take awhile.

Greenaccord02 - I appreciate the idea! If anyone wants to contribute, I have a PayPal account set up that I've used for Ebay, if anyone wants to contribute - No amount is too small! PM me and I will send you the account ID.

The PureOne filter should be the same number as a regular Purolator but the number will start with PL instead of just L.

Originally Posted By: BuickGN

Gary- Any link to your bypass test? That sounds like some good reading.

The images are gone because Sony got rid of image station
frown.gif

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...true#Post349747

Here's how I did it:

f4b0f27020a2a5dbvg3.jpg

f4a154f620a378darh1.jpg

f4b0f26a20a2fc28fo1.jpg

For the linked test I removed the individual gauges for a single differential pressure gauge in the 0-20 range that I found on Ebay. It was in my minivan when it was stolen and I never transfered the image. I have another one, but I don't really have a guinea pig platform anymore.

I went to a digital temp gauge. There are other posts ..but this was the one where I had decent mileage on the filter (9k), heavy oil (15w-40) and reasonably cold temps (27F starting temp with overnight temps being somewhat colder). It produced just shy of bypass threshold differential pressures.

All of this sustains ..or rather formed, my assertion that bypass action, even with substantial loading, occurs primarily as a reaction to pump relief. With a unified flow (going just to the engine) the filter isn't even there.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: toytundranator
I can donate a Purolator PL30001 (Ford filter) since we have the same engines.

Where did you find the PureOne filter here? Never saw one here...was that ordered shipped? Even the Mobil EP filters are hard to find can't seem to find any here also. Interesting!

The Fram Extended Guard filter would also be interesting to see how it performs against these two performers, Wix, Napa Gold and PureOne.

Last edited:
The person that performed all of my UOAs liked the following in order:

K&N
M1
EaO

I trust almost everyone agrees that he would know what he was talking about.

Originally Posted By: HondaMan
The person that performed all of my UOAs liked the following in order:

K&N
M1
EaO

I trust almost everyone agrees that he would know what he was talking about.

I'm not following you exactly. Who is "he"? Terry Dyson?

I'd love to see the Pure One in place of the K&N since it seems to be more popular on this board.

JMO,
Frank D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back