honda CRV Spark plugs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Brett Miller
Next to motor oil, spark plugs induce the most rabid conversations.....If it's running well, sleep well.

I agree with this statement. However, why spend $15-$20 on a "performance" spark plug, when a $2-$3 plug will do the same job?

Originally Posted By: ajchien
The original reason I asked that questions is that I'm about to change the plugs on my 03 CRV and 03 Element, and the OEM NGK's are somewhat pricey, found between $15-20 per plug. I guess that's not a big deal for 100k+ mile plugs so I will likely go with them.

However, on some Honda owners forums, some are touting the e3 performance plugs as a tremendous upgrade in performance, horsepower, and gas mileage. However, I'm not so sure going to a Nickel alloy plug is really an upgrade from Iridium.

$15 - $20 per plug?!?!?

I will be replacing the plugs in my wife's 2003 CR-V soon, and there is no way I am paying $80 for a set of freaking spark plugs!
Platinums should be fine...

[/quote]

$15 - $20 per plug?!?!?

I will be replacing the plugs in my wife's 2003 CR-V soon, and there is no way I am paying $80 for a set of freaking spark plugs!
Platinums should be fine... [/quote]

I'd go with the standard copper-core NGK V-grooves. They'll cost you about $2.00 per plug and will perform no differently that platinums.

Originally Posted By: Quest
Now ajchien,

Think of it this way: with gasoline priced sky-high and most car manufacturers struggling to push the performance/fuel efficiency envelope (and don't forget the the tailwind from CAFE and EPA), and are spending millions of dollars in R&D just to design a more fuel efficient engine designs, with computer controls up da ying-yang. IF you think e3 plugs are that good, you don't think those car manufacturers would not have noticed it at the first place (same with all kinds of add-on devices that promised you out-of-this-world-fuel-economy-or-horsepower-improvements) and buy them out and use it/them in their products just to improve their automobile fuel economy?

With a logical thinking in mind, the picture is as clear as it gets (on add-ons, snake oils, spark plugs, etc.) and no need for us critics to give you any hints.

Q.

Well, I have no idea.

Are we sure that the NGKs are *that* much better than e3 or any platinum plug at 3-4 times the price?

I'm not always with the "Honda knows best" crowd. They did not put the *best* OEM tires on my car. They didnt use the *best* AC compressor.

I dont know what Honda's contracts are. Honda must outsource a lot of products. Those products may not be the best possible. Some of them are probably the best. A lot are likely insignificant in difference. Honda might have gotten the best bulk price, best logistics, or maybe the vendor had the hottest looking saleswoman at the time.

I was simply asking : Anyone have an opinion on using Aftermarket plugs on a 03 CRV?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Audioquest

$15 - $20 per plug?!?!?

Platinums should be fine... [/quote]

I'd go with the standard copper-core NGK V-grooves. They'll cost you about $2.00 per plug and will perform no differently that platinums. [/quote]

Here's a link to the cheapest I can find the plugs: http://www.handa-accessories.com/crvmaint02.html

$15 - $20 per plug?!?!?

I'd go with the standard copper-core NGK V-grooves. They'll cost you about $2.00 per plug and will perform no differently that platinums. [/quote]

Here's a link to the cheapest I can find the plugs: http://www.handa-accessories.com/crvmaint02.html [/quote]

No need to make a lot of noise. Just take a look at Rock auto's offering RE: NGK OE iridium plugs for CRV (K24A1 block):

They are only 11 bux a pop (IZFR6K11)

Q.

$15 - $20 per plug?!?!?

Here's a link to the cheapest I can find the plugs: http://www.handa-accessories.com/crvmaint02.html [/quote]

Here is a list of compatible spark plugs for your vehicle. The copper plugs go from $2.19-$3.99.
Sparkplugs.com

Originally Posted By: Quest

$15 - $20 per plug?!?!?

I'd go with the standard copper-core NGK V-grooves. They'll cost you about $2.00 per plug and will perform no differently that platinums.

No need to make a lot of noise. Just take a look at Rock auto's offering RE: NGK OE iridium plugs for CRV (K24A1 block):

They are only 11 bux a pop (IZFR6K11)

Q. [/quote]

AWESOME. I think they'll get my business!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back