Brad Penn 10/30W Racing Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Scan002November082007.jpg

Where do they even sell this oil anymore, I scored 3 cases of it at a auction about 8 years ago, (5w30) it seemed to be excellent oil, I have never seen it in the stores though. I used it in my work car, a 1978 Cadilac Elderado. It ran super smooth on it and didnt use any, where it used oil with other brands. I would have bought more if I could have found it.

I think these numbers are off. Zinc and Phos should be much higher in this oil. Brad Penn will confirm this, unless they've made a recent change in their formulation.

Are you sure this is "The Green Oil," Brad Penn's Penn-Grade 1 racing oil?

Originally Posted By: supersize
Speed Shop had cases of this stuff so I took a quart to have it tested. Bottle says API service SJ/CF. Link to manufacture http://www.amref.com/

Is it this oil (just in 10w30)? Penn-Grade 1 won't have any API markings on it.

bottle3.gif

A picture of the bottle I have can be seen here http://www.bradpennracing.com/ except mine says 10W-30 on the front and in back it has an API SJ/CF logo, also states it has "ZDDP additive for strong anti-wear protection" Does look weak.

Either they have changed their formulation of Blackstone has screwed up.

According to the sheet, it simply states Brad Penn 10w30. It doesn't say Grade 1 10w30 or Racing 10w30, which I would think that if that is what they are testing, that is what it would say. So maybe this is a VOA for their regulation SM formulation 10w30, in which case those numbers look very typical for that API designation.

I talked with one of the tech guys today at Brad Penn and he told me that this oil should have 1200 Zinc and 1000 Phosphorus,
so some thing is not right with the lab test or the oil. I will be sending him a sample so that he can run a test. He was also surprised that the bottle had an API logo.

The bottle the sample came from, Grade one, Racing, API SJ/CF
IM000883.jpg

Last edited:
Hmmm. Possibly a bad batch of oil then. I guess it can happen to any facility, which has me wondering just how often it does?

Hopefully the cause gets found.

Originally Posted By: supersize
I talked with one of the tech guys today at Brad Penn and he told me that this oil should have 1200 Zinc and 1000 Phosphorus,
so some thing is not right with the lab test or the oil. I will be sending him a sample so that he can run a test. He was also surprised that the bottle had an API logo.

Told ya!
thumbsup2.gif

I did a search but could not come up with a voa of penn 20W50. If there is not one I will send in a sample and post the results.

Got my sample ready to go, will ship it out Monday, should have the results by thursday or friday. The Brad Penn 20W50 I have does not have the API logo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back