A good, free disk fragmentor SW?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Lenovo R60 came preloaded with Diskeeper Lite disk fragmentor. I haven't heard anything good about this program, and I'm not sure if it actually does something when I run it; after a few weeks it keeps telling me I need defragmenting and that i should buy the paid version, blah blah...

so i was wondering if someone knows a of a reputable, free disk fragmenting software that is safe and easy to use, and which actually does something...

Win XP Pro SP3/ Lenovo R60.

Thanks a lot in advance.

"Auslogics Disk Defrag" seems to get good reviews...just read a bit about it on download.com
It's the #3 most downloaded software in the utilities category...
anyone using this one?

try contig, the command line defragmenter. IIRC, it does not allign all data to the "faster" sections of the disk the way that others do, but it is amongst the fastest defragmentation programs.

Ive used auslogics disk defrag and it seems good, perhaps a bit faster than the windows one...

The real benefit to any defagmenter besides the windows one, if Im not mistaken, is its ability to operate in the background under some situations and keep things "inline"... I may be wrong with that. but if that is accurate, then you may or may not need the capability - for a laptop likly not. Just doing it as a batch from time to time may well be more than enough...

JMH

Using Auslogic defrag and I really like it so far. It is fast and has a non-confusing GUI.

I heard there is a new defragger from the CCleaner folks, so I might try that one as I like their cleaning utility.

The Windows one is basically Diskeeper Lite; it's a version of Diskeeper made by Execsoft for Microsoft.

I recommend paid-for software for defragmentation just based on the risk of data corruption with using sub-par software.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
The Windows one is basically Diskeeper Lite; it's a version of Diskeeper made by Execsoft for Microsoft.

I recommend paid-for software for defragmentation just based on the risk of data corruption with using sub-par software.

Is the Windows defrag (Diskeeper Lite) pretty good or do you recommend going with a paid for version anyway? Just wondering.

Thanks

The windows one does the job. But of course lacks any kind of automation. That's how they try to push you on to the paid version, via the fact that it will "maintain" the condition of your drive without you having to do anything.

I am using Iobit Smart Defrag. Like it over Auslogics, but I have not used Auslogics for years. Iobit is automated. Footprint does not seem bad.

Iobit Smart Defrag is slower but never really saw any difference comparing with Auslogics. Both good products. Key is keeping hard drive in proper order. I run both the disk and registry defrag once a week.

I went to the Auslogics site and downloaded what I thought was a free program to clean up the registry. I ran it and they wanted money to remove the issues it found.

LOL you'd think after using a computer all these years I would have known that before downloading the program.

Frank D

I do like Auslogics Disk Defrag...it was super fast; it may not be perfect, but seems loads better than Diskeeper Lite, and hardly bogged down the laptop while defragmenting. I think I'll keep using it...

how often should one defragment, once a week? or is that overkill?

Depends on what you are doing on your computer. Once a week is fine. Once a month would be O.K too for alot of people. It is the really bad fragmentation that slows your computer down.

Originally Posted By: ZZman
Depends on what you are doing on your computer. Once a week is fine. Once a month would be O.K too for alot of people. It is the really bad fragmentation that slows your computer down.

I'm sorry, but you are incorrect.

Drive fragmentation slows drive access. It does not make the computer slower in normal use. The most substantial impact is on overall throughput because the drive is constantly seeking to grab pieces of the file it's trying to open. Whether this is discernible to the end user depends.

So while a defragmented hard drive will make windows load slightly quicker, and office to open slightly faster, firefox to open slightly faster, the person using the system will likely not notice these differences because we are talking milliseconds. It takes VERY severe fragmentation to have any sort of noticeable affect on software load time, and as I said, this is normally only during initial opening, as once the program has been opened once during a Windows session, subsequent loads are often cached, and thus the hard drive is not touched.

Minimizing the software that loads on Windows start-up and cleaning up the services has a much greater affect on Windows performance than drive fragmentation.

"Drive fragmentation slows drive access. It does not make the computer slower in normal use. The most substantial impact is on overall throughput because the drive is constantly seeking to grab pieces of the file it's trying to open. Whether this is discernible to the end user depends."

You can't tell me when installing an operating system that fragmentation on the registry and hard drive won't increase overall speed in any application over cleaning out the system. I do both..cleaning out the system especially with internet usage I do that daily.

OVERK1LL: I think we are both saying the same thing. I said badly fragmented. You said very severe fragmentation. I agree that the running programs or processes make a huge difference....but we were not talking about that issue......:)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back