Proper way to check oil level?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really never understood this. What is the proper way to check the oil level with the dipstick?

Should the car be cold? Warm? Do you push the dipstick all the way down or just slide it in there until it stops by itself (like an inch before it's all the way down)? How do you get an accurate reading? There is oil on the stick, but then lines of oil that continue going up the stick (but not full solid lines).

Sorry for the n00b question, but this is one thing I never understood.

I check the oil on a cold engine, whatever oil that would normally be in the pan would be there after sitting overnight. I push the dipstick all the way down, count to 3 pull stick out slowly (so it doesn't splash oil up the tube) look at it front side back side, ignoring the oil trails and looking for where the oil goes all the way across-ways (that's the level) on the stick then wipe it down. Then repeat this 2 more times. The readings should all be the same.

drain it all out into a 5 quart jug, and measure to see how many quarts are in it :D

ok seriously, check on level service, with engine cold (Unless owner's manual says otherwise) read the side that is the lowest on the stick.

Owner's manual usually tells you how to do it. Think it will say to check on hot engine about 5 minutes after it is shut off. Nothing wrong with cold check though.

Don't check parked on hill!
grin2.gif

The stick is pushed all the way down, to seat it. Otherwise it would read low.
Hot will show a bit more oil in the system than cold , because of expansion .

Most manuals specify how to. Both of my Chevys say warm engine to operating temerature, then shut off. Wait a few minutes, then check.

As I recall, my old Honda said cold.

I generally like to park the car on an incline so that the oil rushes toward the dip-stick. That way the car always seems full and I never have to add oil ;-)

Originally Posted By: Josh8519
I really never understood this. What is the proper way to check the oil level with the dipstick?

Should the car be cold? Warm? Do you push the dipstick all the way down or just slide it in there until it stops by itself (like an inch before it's all the way down)? How do you get an accurate reading? There is oil on the stick, but then lines of oil that continue going up the stick (but not full solid lines).

Cold or Hot, it doesn't matter. The only time you'll get a misleading reading is if you start a cold engine, run it for a minute, or so, shut it off, then check the level.

Push the dipstick all the way down.

Like another said, look at both sides of the stick. Whichever side shows the lowest oil line across the stick is the correct level.

FWIW, since we are getting comments about putting the stick all the way in, I have heard that back in the old "pump jockey" days when the gas station person would actually pump your gas and ask to check your oil, there were some who would "short stick" the oil, not putting the stick all the way back in, then show the driver that it is low and sell them some top up oil, which very well may have been nothing from an empty can, since it was already full.

Originally Posted By: Josh8519

engine cold(over night), make sure the car is on level ground(dont check the oil when its on a slope or anything as it will give you a slightly inaccurate reading), few engines require that you run the engine first and then check the oil, refer to your manual. but almost all engines you have to check it when its fully cold (e.g. let it sit over night and check the oil in the morning)

remove the dipstick and use a dry cloth to wipe the dipstick clean of oil, then insert the dipstick again all the way down until it goes no further, remove it and then read the oil. ... wipe it clean one more time before inserting it back and then close the hood and your done

Hope you folks don't mind my tangential anecdotes, but here is another:

I once read that some equipment is designed to have the oil checked with the engine running! I tried it on my pickup once and it does not work as the oil is splattering all around in the crankcase, but those designed for it probably have small chamber/sleeve around the stick so it does not get splashed and the chamber/sleeve provides a quiescent pool for the sample.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back