Toyota Echo Chirping/Squeaking Sound

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m having an ominous issue with my 2000 Toyota Echo (manual transmission). It has started a chirping or squeaking sound when in gear and under throttle. Once I let off the accelerator, it diminishes at least 95% (might be there a tiny bit) and it seems to quit entirely if I push in the clutch pedal.

So it seems like possibly a bearing in the transmission. The chirping is slowly getting louder and I’m going to have to do something about it eventually. Any ideas? Anyone’s help is appreciated.

Motor mounts?

Same thing happened on my 1986 Jetta around 90k. Ended up being the front mount.

Bill

chirping when acceleration is mostly related to loading contact components, and depending on how you would describe your "chirp", only those that has relatively high coefficient of friction (belts of all kinds, rubber stuff that moves, etc.).

Things I can think of would be all timing belt components, idler bearing, all fan/alternator/ps/ac belts, etc. occasionally, you may have something on the clutch part (again, depending on where the chirp is coming from, pitch, etc. and whether it sounds "metallic" or not) such as pressure plate, friction disc or even throwout bearings. Also look for possibility of water pump, alternator, etc. bearings gradually going bad...they chirp also.

I've serviced a lot of subcompacts over the years and trust me: this ain't ominous at all...
19.gif

I was hoping it was something as simple as a belt (or a mount) but the belts are new-ish (about a year old) and they are tight. The engine and/or transmission mount? I dunno but I'll look at them.

Regarding the throwout bearing - it has been a while since I removed an engine to replace a clutch, but is that bearing only turning when the clutch pedal is up? Cause once it is down the sound sure seems to stop.

I ought to say too that the chirping sound is not random, it is steady and "mechanical" sounding. It gets somewhat louder as the car goes faster. The sound speeds up a little too but not a lot.

It doesn't sound like a random chirp or squeak like when the car shifts gears or hits a bump or something.

belt tensioner for accessories?

Mine makes noise for the first 30-60 secs when its below freezing.
Bill

From Howstuffworks.com:
Clutch Diagnostic Test
If you find that your clutch has failed, here is an at-home diagnostic test that anyone can perform:

1. Start your car, set the parking break [sic - they need an editor], and put the car in neutral.
2. With your car idling, listen for a growling noise without pushing the clutch in. If you hear something, it's most likely a problem with the transmission. If you don't hear a noise, proceed to step three.
3. With the car still in neutral, begin to push the clutch and listen for noise. If you hear a chirping noise as you press, it's most likely the clutch release, or throw-out bearing. If you don't hear a noise, proceed to step four.
4. Push the clutch all the way to the floor. If you hear a squealing noise, it's probably the pilot bearing or bushing.

If you don't hear any noise during these four steps, then your problem is probably not the clutch. If you hear the noise at idle and it goes away when the clutch is pressed, it may be an issue in the contact point between the fork and pivot ball.

I frequently hear this noise when an automatic serpentine belt tensioner no longer applies enough pressure to the belt to transmit power efficiently.

Does this car use an auto tensioner?

Last edited:
Tell 'How Stuff Works' that a chirping/squeaking withe the clutch out can be the throwout bearing, because today's cars use constant contact throwout bearings - a light contact with the clutch out. Also, the pilot bearing can make noise with the clutch in or out.
A trans input bearing has a deep whine/rumble - also can make noise with the clutch in or out.

Quote:
It has started a chirping or squeaking sound when in gear and under throttle. Once I let off the accelerator, it diminishes at least 95% (might be there a tiny bit) and it seems to quit entirely if I push in the clutch pedal.

The only state missing is revving the engine with the clutch in to see if the frequency returns ..though the "off gas" while in gear would appear to belie that being a noise causing state.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back