* Dodge Stratus sedan
* Chrysler Cirrus
* Chrysler Sebring convertible and sedan only
* Plymouth Breeze
* Dodge Caravan
* Chrysler Voyager
* Jeep Liberty
* 2003-2006 Jeep Wrangler

And interestingly: "An oil leak issue with the front crankshaft seal has developed in some 2004-2007 engines due to excessive crankshaft end-play. The excessive movement of the crankshaft pushes the seal out causing a leak."

It doesn't mention the Patriot on this page, but I am pretty sure it is uses the same as the above vehicles, but don't quote me on it.
grin2.gif

Last edited:
From the Jeep website.

Model
2008 Patriot Sport E Package 4x4 $20,460

Options
2.4L 4-Cyl DOHC 16V Dual VVT Engine (172 hp) Standard

Originally Posted By: Saturn_Fan
Are you thinking about buying one of these Johnny?

Maybe. I'm going down to look at a Patriot and a Liberty this afternoon.

Well good luck. They both look like nice vehicles, but I haven't heard the best things about the fuel economy and room inside the Liberty, but it does have good off road capability. The government lists the Liberty with 4x4 as only getting 15/21, which is crazy for how small these are.

Don't know anything about the Patriot except in my opinion they look funny because of how small they look up close.

I like the looks of the Ford Edge and with AWD it gets a mile per gallon better than the Liberty and is bigger.

Anyway you go, good luck and have fun with it.

PS: I forgot about the lifetime warranty from Chrysler, so that might make this a no brainer.

IIRC that the 2.4L vvt engine, is one of the world universal engines that is used in Hyundai's, Mitsubishi's, and Chrysler products. Drove a Avenger rental in Vegas that had this engine. It was quite smooth, revved out quickly with a 4speed AT, and did not make harsh sounds, but was kind of a dog. Drove it like a rental and was not overwhelmed. Yes, it stayed in Vegas.

Per Wikipedia, the 2.4L is used in the vehicles below:

* Chrysler PT Cruiser
* Dodge Stratus sedan
* Chrysler Cirrus
* Plymouth Breeze
* Dodge Caravan
* Chrysler Voyager
* Jeep Liberty

And interestingly: "An oil leak issue with the front crankshaft seal has developed in some 2004-2007 engines due to excessive crankshaft end-play. The excessive movement of the crankshaft pushes the seal out causing a leak."

It doesn't mention the Patriot on this page, but I am pretty sure it is uses the same as the above vehicles, but don't quote me on it.
grin2.gif

That's a different engine. That engine is a derivative of the 2.0L Neon engine and was designed and produced wholly by Chrysler. As mentioned, the 2.4L in the Patriot is the "World Engine" jointly developed by Chrysler, Mitsubishi, and Hyundai.

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
I drove a 6 cyl for a while and was supprised that it was a good vehicle.

There is no such thing as a Patriot 6 cylinder. Either it was a Patriot with a 4 or it was a different vehicle.

Originally Posted By: jazztrumpet216
Per Wikipedia, the 2.4L is used in the vehicles below:

* Chrysler PT Cruiser
* Dodge Stratus sedan
* Chrysler Cirrus
* Plymouth Breeze
* Dodge Caravan
* Chrysler Voyager
* Jeep Liberty

grin2.gif

That's a different engine. That engine is a derivative of the 2.0L Neon engine and was designed and produced wholly by Chrysler. As mentioned, the 2.4L in the Patriot is the "World Engine" jointly developed by Chrysler, Mitsubishi, and Hyundai.

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
I drove a 6 cyl for a while and was supprised that it was a good vehicle.

There is no such thing as a Patriot 6 cylinder. Either it was a Patriot with a 4 or it was a different vehicle.

Thanks for clearing that up. The Patriot received mediocre in every category except safety. That being said the lifetime warranty (haven't read all the small print on that yet) would still make it an appealing vehicle if it wasn't so ugly looking.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Unless Chryco goes [censored]-up, then I imagine the warranty doesn't mean a whole lot
wink.gif

True. I'd hate to be left holding the bag on a worthless lifetime warranty.
mad.gif

Johnny,

You getting rid of your Wrangler, or just 'supplementing it'...

I like the Patriot, I'd get one if I could....

You might want to check out the Dodge Nitro. I don't have any personal experience with them, but they are built on the same platform as the Liberty. You might be able to get one cheaper than a Liberty...if you can stand the styling.

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
You might want to check out the Dodge Nitro. I don't have any personal experience with them, but they are built on the same platform as the Liberty. You might be able to get one cheaper than a Liberty...if you can stand the styling.

I think even the Caliber with AWD would be a great alternative that is styled much better imho. I have always liked the looks of those.

I still have the Wrangler and am not about to get rid of it. It's a real Jeep.
grin2.gif

Drove the Patriot and was not impressed. Did not like the I-4 and the CVT transmission. Going to drive a Liberty over the weekend with the V-6.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back