Latest AV test results are out

Status
Not open for further replies.
No surprise on the Avira doing so well. I am surprised about Symantec and AVG coming in so high though. Very surprised that Eset wasn't near the top as they usually do well in comparatives.

Sunbelt software released it's Vipre product, single engine, dual purpose. Guess it was too new to see how it fared vs. the competition.

It is interesting to me that acording to these results some of the free antivirus programs actually score higher than many of the paid antivirus programs. Or perhaps these are the for pay Avira, Avast, AVG programs.

Recently a major consumer magazine that I will not name (they don't like having their name anywhere without their permission) stated that a person could get reasonable security using Avira, Windows Defender, and a antispam program.

Looks like to me a person could get reasonable security using either Avira or Avast! and Windows Defender (comes with Vista and can be downloaded to Windows XP), Spybot Search and Destroy, and Ad-Aware. And you would pay exactly nothing for your good security.

Some of the big name antivirus programs like Kaspersky and the geek favorite Nod32 actually don't score as well.

Everybody loves to put down Norton but it actually does not do badly. But Norton shuts down Windows Defender and will not run with some other programs.

Heck, just use Avira or Avast! and Windows Defender, Spybot Search and Destroy, and Ad-Aware.

I use all free security programs: Avira PE, Superantispyware, A-Squared Free, Spyware Terminator and PCTools free firewall. The only thing you really give up is some of the features that the paid versions might have like schedulled scans or Real time protection etc. The basic main functions of them work great.

I only use free products as well. Avira, Superantispyware, and Sandboxie. I know this setup is light years better than paying $50 a year for a big suite that'll simply slow your machine to a crawl.

Sandboxie just by itself is essentially 100% lockdown since nothing will get through to your machine.

I'd personally just ditch firewalls and get a virtualization sandboxing type product. And have that as your main focus in computer security. If you use these type products in the proper way, you essentially don't need anything else because malware will never get on your machine.

Last edited:
This is like measuring the top speed of minivan. Unless it shows how it stack up in performance and memory foot print, and how well it protect against hacking, it probably doesn't mean a lot.

I hated AVG, because every time if you do not turn on your machine for 2 weeks, it would run funny and you have to uninstall/reinstall it. International version of Windows XP does not work well with a few of them (AVG, Avira, etc) so that swayed my choice to Avast. Luckily they come out on top =)

IMO all are good choice. Norton deserve the blasting because it is so bloated, not because of the security.

I agree. I haven't paid for security software since I had my 1st pc since 1996. My friend gave me a burned copy of norton back in 1998. I used that for two years. Then when I went to Free antivirus software of Mcafee that was offered through comcast. still using it.

One thing people do need to realize is that these products that performed so well are the paid versions of Avira, Avast!, and AVG. The free versions probably will not perform as well.

Still, it makes me wonder why Avira and Avast! and AVG antivirus products are not available for sale in the local stores.

Based on the information presented Avira and GData are two of the best antivirus programs available. And Norton, which is constantly put down all the time, is actually better than many of the higher rated programs like Kaspersky, BitDefender, and NOD32.

When they come out with the 2009 version of the Norton Antivirus maybe I will give it another try.

The virus databases, and actually the PROGRAM ITSELF are the EXACT SAME for Avast! The key used makes the difference whether you get "Home Free Edition" or "Professional". And I imagine the AV databases for Avira are the same for the free or paid versions as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: Mystic
One thing people do need to realize is that these products that performed so well are the paid versions of Avira, Avast!, and AVG. The free versions probably will not perform as well.

AV comparatives does not test for spyware or adware. The free version of Antivir is what you see/what you get with the results.

Avira, Avast and AVG ones are from foreign countries so that is why they are probably not in stores. They save the overhead and mark up by selling on the net.

The scan engines and Databases are the same. You just get more features with the paid versions.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back