2009 Camry 2.4L -- Belt or Chain driven?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sort of OT, but which years have the oil nozzles now? I have a 2004 Highlander with that engine, and it seems pretty much bullet-proof, has nice power output and is definately fuel efficient.

Originally Posted By: ekpolk
FWIW, sounds like you got your question answered, but the 2AZ-FE, and 2AZ-FXE (hybrid version) do indeed have chain-driven cams. The AZ series of engines is relatively new, having made it's US debut with the previous generation of Camry (2002-2006 MYs). It has been revised since, including an improved chain tensioning system, and with the current Gen-6 Camry that now calls for 0w-20 or 5w-20 oil (the Gen-5 Camrys called for 5w-30) the engine now has oil nozzles that hose the pistons down with fresh oil. It's a good engine, that treated remotely well, should last darned near forever. OTOH, without doubt, the competing Honda engines are every bit as good. This is NOT, I repeat NOT a basis for deciding whether to buy a Honda or a Toyota. Nope, your friend is going to have to dig deeper.

But back on point, I have a TIS (Toyota Technical Info Service, basically, all service pubs, on line), and I've reviewed the latest on the 2AZ engine. It is 110%, without doubt, a chain-driven cam engine.
cheers3.gif

Doesnt the chain stretch over time? Doesnt that reduce your performance? Isn't the chain more noisy than a belt. Doesnt the chain contaminate the oil more?

Originally Posted By: Winston
Doesnt the chain stretch over time? Doesnt that reduce your performance? Isn't the chain more noisy than a belt. Doesnt the chain contaminate the oil more?

Yes, irrelevantly. No. No. No.

Chains are superior in every way.

I'm a chain man. I will no longer buy a vehicle with belted timing, and have not on the last several purchases.

But -

Don't chains contribute to oil shear?

Isn't that why Subies and many other belted engines are so gentle on oil? The older Tundra V-8 comes to mind.

interesting thread- those that worship at the nippon altar of honda and toyota have always touted how 'superior' the engines were, and for the longest time they had BELTS! honda only recently went to a chain, just like, who was it, oh yeah, just about every DOMESTIC engine! it's about time they've figured it out!
I'm stuck w/ a belt in my old mazda 3.0, but my ecotec is a chain, my saturn 1.9 was a chain, my bicycles have chains...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back