ok to switch brands of oils?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've always heard that you should stick with one brand of oil and stick with it. How true is this?
Here's a thought I had. When I bought my truck the previous owner used castrol. I use valvoline so there's one brand switch. When I sell my truck, more than likely another brand switch will occur if that person uses something other than valvoline. If that person eventually sells the vehicle another switch might occur.

I'm talking about switching oils within the dino family only.

quote:

Originally posted by simple:
I've always heard that you should stick with one brand of oil and stick with it. How true is this?
Here's a thought I had. When I bought my truck the previous owner used castrol. I use valvoline so there's one brand switch. When I sell my truck, more than likely another brand switch will occur if that person uses something other than valvoline. If that person eventually sells the vehicle another switch might occur.

I'm talking about switching oils within the dino family only.

No problems.

I would stick to Castrol GTX though, an excellent oil.

Only thing I would note is that sometimes when switching oil the second one will suspend some crud the first one left behind so a filter change after the first 1000miles or something like that can help clean that stuff out. A year ago when I switched my car to a high detergent oil from Amsoil after a few hundred miles she got a little noisey a filter change quieted her right back down.

Off topic but where in WI, PM me if you like, New London is near Appleton and Green Bay.

"Myth: I broke in my engine on Brand X; I can't switch brands.
Fact: First, be sure that during the break-in period you use the same high quality (API SL) oil which the manufacturer recommends; special break-in oils are not needed or recommended. Second, YOU CAN CHANGE THE BRAND OF OIL USED AT ANY TIME, just continue to use the same high quality level recommended by the engine manufacturer."
http://www.citgo.com/Products/LubesOils/CITGOBrand/PassengerCar/MythsAboutEngineOils.jsp

quote:

I've probably used ten different brands of oil in my current ride.

What?? And your vehicle still runs??
tongue.gif

I switched all the time on my last motor, yanked it at 110K to replace with something a little more powerful and found the oilpan to be spotless and despite my efforts to the contrary everything was found to be in wonderful shape. It was a 4.3L V8 known as the L99 basically a smaller bore and stroke LT1 and it made way for a real LT1. I had beat on that motor cold and all I wanted an excuse to yank it. A longtime gearhead friend was amazed when we pulled the pan and found it to be so clean. I attributed it to the switching oils if one oil tends to leave a little "X" behind then maybe the next cleans it out
dunno.gif
. Not advocating switching just saying it did no harm there in a motor I actually tore down.

There should be no problem switching between top-shelf SL/SM rated dinos. I went with Havoline after years of using GTX due to the fact that the Havoline is a high quality oil that shows great UOA results at a lower price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back