Best oil for BMW 335i N54 twin turbo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: TambourineMan
I am trying to find out which oils are BMW approved in case there is a problem with my engine while it's still under warranty. If I were to have a problem while under warranty and they found that I had used an unapproved oil, they could deny coverage. I called BMW and they verbally told me the approved brands and the SAE's, but what good is that 3 years from now? I did not record the conversation. There are numerous references in this thread about unapproved oils, so somewhere there must be information about which ones are approved. Why is it such a big secret?

No secret - if you're that concerned use the dealer supplied oil - it's as good as any aftermarket product, it's approved and it's not over-priced.

As for what's approved for your engine, there is a dealer-only document that indicates which "approvals" like LL-xx are "approved" for which engine family. As for which oils meet those specs, just look on the bottle. BMW stopped publishing a list of approved oils in 2006 or so.

Generally, if it's LL-01 it's approved for any non-M engine up until about 2005 or so. It's ok for most after that too, but there might be some restrictions because of Valvetronic that change the situation some. That I don't know.

I am trying to find out which oils are BMW approved in case there is a problem with my engine while it's still under warranty. If I were to have a problem while under warranty and they found that I had used an unapproved oil, they could deny coverage. I called BMW and they verbally told me the approved brands and the SAE's, but what good is that 3 years from now? I did not record the conversation. There are numerous references in this thread about unapproved oils, so somewhere there must be information about which ones are approved. Why is it such a big secret?

Here's a thread on it on bimmerforums. Most of the info comes from collecting the specs from the back of bottles.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?p=12130329

I'd highly suggest RLI Bio-Synthetic Super High Performance 5W-40 in these engines. We talked about this much earlier in the thread. It is designed to work well in the face of the dilution of DI engines.
Link to non-sponsor sales site removed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Would it be better to mix RLI 5w40 and some 30wt to thin it down closer to 12-13cst? Newer BMW engines don't seem to need a thick 40wt but it might be good for those summer trackdays.

Originally Posted By: Scuderia
Anybody tried this yet?

http://www.turbofrogperformance.com/PDF_files/Specific_LL-01_5W-30.pdf

I want to get a 135i in the future, so I hope this gets resolved.

Frequent changes (4-5k miles after break-in) would be all I could tolerate in that engine if using anything off the shelf, including the BMW stuff. 15k miles seems foolish if talking about MY N54 engine.

I want one too BTW!

Originally Posted By: cosynthetics

Here's a thread on it on bimmerforums. Most of the info comes from collecting the specs from the back of bottles.

I have a 335i due for an oil change. N54 engine.
Is RLI my only good solution?

BMW warranty, if anything happened (?) would not be pleased!
BMW says 5W-30 for this car.

Since my intervals are about 5K, daily drive, no track, can I keep using BMW 5-30 from the dealer, or should I try Valvoline Synpower, etc?

I'd perform a UOA first. 5K may be to long OR too short depending on your operating conditions...

Originally Posted By: bluescoupe
Originally Posted By: cosynthetics

I have a 335i due for an oil change. N54 engine.
Is RLI my only good solution?

BMW warranty, if anything happened (?) would not be pleased!
BMW says 5W-30 for this car.

Since my intervals are about 5K, daily drive, no track, can I keep using BMW 5-30 from the dealer, or should I try Valvoline Synpower, etc?

Stick with one of the oils from the BMW LL list. I don't see how RLI is a good solution for you.

Thanks guys!
BMW says any 5-30 sythtetic, but recommends Castrol, Mobil 1, Valvoline; all as you know.
Having read, in this thread, the failure of each of those in this vehicle, I'm planning to use Royal Purple 5W-30 in the 335i.
I'll change oil every 5K.
I just want to protect my investment.

There are only references to it being a DI engine and the possibility of high heat and fuel dilution.

Where did you come up with Royal Purple being a good candidate?

Whatever your choice, pull a sample & send it to Terry Dyson. His lab provides more data than most in addition to the professional interpretation (not like the many hacks here - myself included).

It's a little more difficult as there is no dipstick on these cars. I'd install a petcock in the drain plug for sampling.

Just remember any analysis by Terry will have bias towards RLI. It's not a bad thing, just something you have to keep in mind.

Slight process of elimination.
Castrol and Mobil 1 are testing average at best. Bad at worst, particualrly for the N54 engine.

Royal Purple seems to attract some good notice (BMW & turbo Audi forums), and not many swearing at it.
Also: http://www.animegame.com/cars/Oil Tests.pdf

Do you think its risky, a waste of time, or a good candidate?

I think that link doesn't hold much credibility.

RP isn't real popular here (usually ranked last even behind store brand items). I know it isn't popular on the BMW forums that I'm a member of. Reading on the Corvette forums will show you the same dislike and shear problems.

Do you plan on doing any UOAs?

No, I wasn't planning on doing a UOA. Based on oil analysis here, RLI is the only one that has been championed.

I hadn't really seen the negative side of Royal Purple here, or on e90 forum, bimmerforum or Audizine. Not to say, everyone is cheering for it, just havent seen the disdain you seem to refer to.

I can get the dealer 5w-30, but I just wanted to feel that I was doing the best for the car.

Most of the RLI stuff here is on an Audi. Even with all of the Audi data I wouldn't say it championed. A lot of the other oils were showing good results as well. There are also MANY oils that were never tested so we can't say that RLI is the only one that works. It just didn't fail as early as some. IMO, it's over hyped.

Take some time to read in the UOAs on some of the RP posts. I have a buddy that has 2 M3s and a Z06 and we were just discussing RP. He was going to try it but said the guys over at corvetteforum were having the same shear problem so he decided against it. The Z06 isn't exactly hard on oil either.

What is your user name at bimmerforums?

If you want, give RP a shot. The only way to get peace of mind is with a UOA though. Otherwise you are just guessing.

Same name at both bimmer forums, more participation at e90.
I came from biturbo Audi S4's ( GC, Mobil 1 , Amsoil).

I don't mind staying with M1 0W-40 or the dealer oil. Its cheaper. And maybe I will get an analysis, since it seems to be the only way I'll find out what is working for the N54.

Thanks for the advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back