Chrysler 42RE fluid recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all, just wanted to pick some brains about what I should run in my '04 Grand Cherokee 4.0L with the 42RE tranny. Chrysler of course says ATF+4 only, but I wanted to run Schaeffer's ATF which meets ATF+4 specs. Should I stay with genuine Mopar ATF+4, or is Schaeffer's as good if not better? I absolutely love their engine oils, and have used their ATF before in GM trannies, but Chrysler trannies have always made me a little cautious as to what fluid to use in them.

I haven't really thought about any other brands besides those two, but I am open to suggestions.

Being a 2004, your Jeep is probably out of warranty. The Schaeffers will work fine and is a "sleeper" synthetic fluid, IMO. Mobil 1 will work fine, esp in the RWD units. Amsoil is fine, too. It's the FWD minivans, etc with the big, dedicated, and overly complex Motorola computers that are so picky about fluid type. Even there, some of these other fluids have proven themselves to work just fine, shifting smoothly/normally and no codes.

The fact that you are actually keeping your transmission serviced at all is the biggest factor here in keeping your unit working well.

I still have the 7/70 powertrain warranty, but the standard 3/36 bumper to bumper warranty has expired. I do drive a lot, but I've only just turned 29,000 on it. Doing a tranny service is a future thought (maybe around 40,000 or so) but I figured I'd get some firsthand knowledge for when the time comes to do it.

Interestingly, I had a power steering pump groan/moan when I first bought it and upon checking the fluid level, I noticed the fluid was quite thin and a bit discolored. I know that Chrysler had a TSB on power steering fluid useage and a switchover to ATF+4 in the p/s units. Remembering that, I promptly flushed out the p/s fluid and replaced it with ATF+4, only to re-read the TSB a couple days later and seeing that the WJ body was one of the few that didn't use ATF+4. It uses a Chrysler-spec p/s fluid, which regular Carquest p/s fluid was rated for. I flushed it again, and now it has no groaning/moaning, and works fine. It worked fine with ATF+4 in it, but I'm a bit obsessive-compulsive about stuff like this, so I made sure the right stuff was in it.

One last question...
Do you think that a total fluid exchange (read: flush) is worthwhile if I'm changing to Schaeffer's or another type of fluid, or should I just do a pan drop/filter change at ~40,000 with ATF+4 till it's out of warranty? I've always been extremely cautious about tranny flushes seeing lots of times more problems afterwards than if they were just left alone. I have a buddy with a T-Tech tranny flush machine which just uses the tranny's pump pressure rather than an external pump, and he claims it's never given a lick of trouble.

I would not woryy about flushing if you do not want to. Pan drop every 10- 15 k for 3 or 4 changeovers. You'll be fine. Schaeffers 204sat will do right by you.

I just changed out the fluid on my 2003 PT Cruiser which has 77,000 miles. I dropped the pan, changed the filter and then flushed and filled with Redline C+ (formulated specifically for Chrysler transmissions). This is the third change on the unit. I did a simple pan drop and fill with Chrysler ATF+4 the first time at about 20,000 miles and the second was a pan drop and a flush...used Specialty Formulations fluid at 45,000 miles (which isn't available anymore...a shame...great technology and proven results from their products). That stuff was in there until the recent change and the trans has always performed beautifully (I also add about 8 ounces of lubegard red bottle at each change). Quite frankly, I have not noticed any difference in the shift characteristics with either fluid and decided on the Redline after my good experience using it in my Town & Country minivan which I sold this year. That van had 136,000 miles on it and was on the original transmission...shifted and operated like new. The original owner of that van (which I acquired at just under 98,000 miles) had the trans fluid changed every 20,000 miles (ATF+ 2 or 3 originally and ATF+4 for the last two changes).

The PT Cruiser trans still shifts like new (I do a "retrain" at every change per instructions posted on the Mopar forums) and I believe frequent service (pan drops and/or flush) with compatible fluid is the key to long life on these problematic transmissions (the tech at the shop who did the service said there was very little debris or metal particles in the pan or on the magnets...thinks I should have run it longer).

ATF pan drops with filter change is fine for 15-30k mile ATF service, I agree. But to me it would be sorta like draining out 2 qts of engine oil of the 5 qts total and changing the oil filter, at every 2000 miles. It would work fine, I'm sure, but I would rather get all or nearly all the ATF changed and service it less often. Just a preference I suppose. Plus most folks don't get the vehicle in that often to me for these items and it's better to get it all done at once, if you gather what I'm saying.

I was told by a tranny guy that these older-technology trannies aren't as picky about ATF as the fully electronic ones are. At one time they even used Dexron type fluid. Supposedly the only reason for the changeover to ATF+4 is for better cold weather pumpability and for less torque convertor clutch shudder. The basic "guts" of the tranny date back to the old Chrysler 904/727 days, the only real difference is the overdrive unit, and some limited amount of electronics.

Originally Posted By: GT Mike
I still have the 7/70 powertrain warranty, but the standard 3/36 bumper to bumper warranty has expired. I do drive a lot, but I've only just turned 29,000 on it.

Mike, you have about worn that thing out. My 2004 Wrangler Unlimited just hit 9K yesterday.
19.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back