I have finished testing both.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have finished testing the Birchwood Casey Synthetic gun oil and the Breakfree CLP. Both seemed to perform well in my Glock Model 22 hangun.

I fired 46 rounds with the gun lubricated by the Birchwood Casey gun oil. The gun performed very well with no malfunctions. When I disassembled the gun for cleaning there was plenty of oil left to lubricate the gun. More oil it seemed than compared to Hoppes or RemOil after firing a similiar number of rounds. I noticed no unusual wear. According to the container the Birchwood Casey will flow at -55 and protect at +300.

I fired 54 rounds with the Breakfree CLP. The gun performed well with no malfunctions (very different then when I used Breakfree with my SIG). There seemed to be less oil left on the gun compared to the Birchwood Casey. I also noticed little specks of brass which obviously came from the cartridge cases. I used a different brand of ammunition and maybe it was of poorer quality. According to the container the Breakfree CLP will flow at -65 and protect at +475. So it will flow at a somewhat lower temperature and protect at a much higher temperature.

At this point it seems to me both oils are about the same in performance. This makes the Birchwood Casey a winner for me because it comes in a fairly large container with a built in pour spout for less money than a small container of Breakfree. Both oils contain PTFE which I guess serves as a AW/EP additive.

Last edited:
The PTFE is simply a friction reducer and acts to slightly reduce shock load.

The AW/EP adds are usually organo-metallic compounds.

Mystic,

How much oil did you use on your Glock? It only needs about three drops total. Dry is better for a Glock. Sig's are wet guns, Glocks are not.

Thanks for the reply. That is interesting to know. Why doesn't someone put a decent AW/EP additive into either a conventional gun oil or a synthetic gun oil? It seems to me that is what is required because of the EP that can be experienced with a gun.

My testing was for my personal satisfaction and of course not scientific. I said that I would tell people the results and I did. Just a simple test.

This is the very first time I have used Birchwood Casey gun oil in a handgun. It definitely seemed to perform much better than Hoppes that I used for a long time. I know quite a few people who use RemOil but I use RemOil only for cleaning. I consider Hoppes better than RemOil. It fact the Birchwood Casey oil performed well enough that I am going to reconsider using grease in my handgun. This oil seems to stay on well enough for me. Of course I lubricate a gun before going shooting. Oils can flow off a gun during extended storage. The Birchwood Casey oil I used comes in a can with a pouring spout and is not a spray but an oil. I dislike sprays except for solvents that can be sprayed into the barrel for cleaning.

Doug C., thanks for the reply. I follow the owner's manual. In the current owner's manual for the Glock it shows six lubrication points. I probably used only about five and a half drops of oil because I put just a small amount on the critical lubrication point. I used two drops on the outside of the barrel, one drop in the hood of the slide, and one drop each on the slide rails.

I have seen an older Glock manual that shows SEVEN lubrication points.

I did the same with the Breakfree and I tried to make the test as fair as possible. I will never use the ammunition again that I used in the testing for the Breakfree. The gun performed okay but little pieces of brass broke off. That certainly did not happen when I tested the Birchwood Casey oil with a different brand of ammunition. I should have used the same ammunition for both tests but I was not able to do so. The store I went to only had one box of one brand.

No offense but 54 rounds is hardly a test. A good quality defensive firearm should work that long without any lube at all, IMHO. I put ~1500 rds. though a Ruger MkII in a test of Weapon Shield. I would love to do the same with the AR but I don't have $500 for ammo laying around at the moment.

An old BF MSDS showed antimony AW, but I have no idea if they still use it. Current MSDS is much more vague.

Weapon Shield is full syn with AW/EP.

Thanks for the reply. I suppose you can say that there are two different ideas about lubrication for handguns. Some people say that if you use a really good lube you can shoot hundreds of rounds before you need to clean your gun and put new lube on it. And than there are people like me who were trained that a gun needs to be cleaned and relubed every time a person goes out and shoots the gun.

I know a range instructor who shoots about 500 rounds through his SIG P226 before he cleans the gun. He uses wheel bearing grease to lubricate the gun and brake cleaner to clean it. I will admit that his gun looks almost new and he has without question fired thousands of rounds through that gun.

I have two gun videos from Wilson of Wilson Combat. One video is for the SIG P226 and the other is for the Glock. In the videos Wilson recommends grease (his own) except in cold weather when he recommends gun oil (his own). He says to clean the gun after every 500 rounds.

I can't speak for the range instructor I know and I can't speak for Wilson of Wilson Combat but they both say 500 rounds-not 1500 rounds. Personally I would never fire that many rounds through a gun on one cleaning and one lubrication. To each his own.

I admit that my training might be not relevant to the modern world and maybe guns do not need to be cleaned and lubricated every time you shoot the gun. But if you want to rely on that gun for self defense I don't think a cleaning and lubrication after every range session will hurt. As for 1500 rounds on one cleaning and lubrication-that is not for me. At least not with a handgun or rifle or shotgun that I like. Solvent for cleaning and gun oil is not that expensive.

But regardless if a person is cleaning their gun after every time at the range or if a person is shooting 500 rounds before cleaning (or 1500 rounds before cleaning) we are ALL trying to find the best posible cleaners and gun lubes.

By the way, I think the record is 10,000 rounds fired through a handgun in one session. A professional competitor did that using a 1911 .45. I don't know what he used for lubrication. It might even have been 20,000 rounds but I believe it was 10,000 rounds. I saw the video.

The gun was so hot he could hardly hold it. The barrel changed color. He certainly trashed the gun. Several people reloaded magazines for him and feed the magazines to him.

Now that would be a REAL test for Weapon Shield!

I've never been in the Military but I believe the standard ammo load for patrol is 10, 30 rnd magazines. No doubt a soldier will carry more than that if expecting trouble or looking for it. So you are looking at expending 300+ rounds in short order on full auto (3rd burst) out of a very hot gun. This is quite demanding, and one reason I like a gun oil to use a high solvent base to suspend debris as it is made. The formulator of WS has stated openly that the chemistry is repulsive to airborne debris due to opposite charges, keeping things even cleaner. I don't know if this is true, but my guns stay very clean with WS...and others have said the same.

Belt fed guns can potentially see thousands of rounds in a fire fight between cleanings. This is all the more demanding, though grease is often used on parts of these guns due to the extreme heat generated.

These are the types of things that a general use gun lube must be able to handle and why I chose such a long test. A .22 is not like a .223 but the ammo is cheap and dirty and debris eventually builds up on the breach face preventing firing. It took ~1200 rds. for this to happen with WS, on a single lubing. I kept it going for another 300rds. adding WS but it eventually choked. All debris wiped off easily.

Todd Jarret set a world record for 1000 rds.
http://www.downrange.tv/artman2/publish/industry/133.shtml
Lube was gun butter.
There have been many 15 or 20K challenges of several weapons over the years.

I can't remember the name of the guy who set the record with the .45. It was a while back and maybe that record has even been broken a few times. It was a timed event and by the way I consider competitions like that pretty pointless.

The guy's team loaded numerous magazines before he got started. The .45 he used was a Para-Ordinance I believe. One guy was spraying something on the interior of the gun and walked out of range of the video while he was doing it. The idea occurred to me that maybe he was doing something like spraying Feon on the interior gun parts because of the heat build up that was going to take place but I don't know. It would be really interesting to know what they used for lubrication. If I found out it was RemOil I would never again say anything bad about RemOil!

The guy was supposed to be one of the fastest shots in the world with a .45. He probably could have fired even more rounds but his team could not keep up with him reloading magazines and feeding him magazines. There were at least four reloaders including a woman who apparently was his girlfriend or wife.

Like I said it was a timed event. I think something like 20 minutes. 10,000 rounds fired from one handgun in that period of time.

Maybe people from bobistheoilguy.com could get together and try to break the record. Tempest you could be the shooter and we could lubricate the gun with Weapon Shield.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back