AC Delco vs. Fram Tough Guard

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was at Murray's today and they only had 3 of the 4 Bosch filters I needed, so the guy working there offered to substitute a Fram Tough Guard instead of the Bosch, I appreciated the offer but told him I'd rather have the AC Delco (It's for a 2003 Chevy Malibu), even though it was 3 dollars cheaper. I wasn't sure if the Tough Guard's used the traditional cardboard endcaps and didn't want to gamble. If I remember right, AC Delco's are made by Champion Labs. It was a PF47. Did I make the right choice?

I think you did, AC Delco's are excellent filters for the money.I am not sure about the Fram Tough Guard but from everything I have read about Fram Filters you can sleep easy about your choice to go with AC Delco.

delco filters are better than fram, IMO. Ive never had a start up knock or sound with a delco, but especially after sitting in the winter, the frams did cause noise...

You did well.

JMH

I can't add anything to this but that you're lucky to have a Murray's close by you.:) I have to drive 50 miles if I want to go to one. I like that store alot.

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
Just a bit longer is the AC Delco PF-52.

I know this is an old thread but I got to thinking -- does anyone know if a PF52 (or Wix 1036) will fit on a 2003 Malibu? Mostly concerned with whether or not there's enough room. I can't remember off hand how much clearance there was... it has the 3100 3.1 V6 piston slapper, and I've always used the Napa ProSelect 1040 or a Supertech 3387A on it, but I'd like to extra capacity. GM designed the engine to have a capacity of 4.6 quarts with filter, but I like to add 5 quarts to make my life easier, and having the little bit of extra capacity would give me more peace of mind... has anyone tried the PF52 on a Malibu with the 3100, and will it fit without any issues?

I was at an Advance Auto a couple weeks ago looking for a Delco PF 52 to see if that size would fit my wife's Cavalier. If it fit, I was going to get the Wix equivalent to actually use. I found they had 3 different PF 52 filters. One had a red anti drainback and a metal core. Another had a black anti drain back and a metal core, The other had a different end cap, couldn't see the drain back valve but am sure it was black and it had a plastic core. I contacted AC Delco. They said it depended upon when and where the filter was made. They also said all Delco filters had a nominal micron rating of 30.

I just got back from Wal-Mart and bought the PF52 for her car, if it doesn't fit it's no big deal, it was only $3.44 and I can still return it. Should fit though...

The ADBV in the one I bought is orange-ish red. Is that a silicon ADBV or a nitrile?

That's what I thought, but the Honda filters always throw me off. The Honda A01 filter I have has an orange ADBV and I figured it was just nitrile, but I think it's actually silicon. And on the twice as expensive HAMP filter from Japan for my car, it's black which would mean it's nitrile... you'd think it would be the other way around
LOL.gif

Furrin? Not sure what that means but they're both made by Toyo Roki (technically, Filtech makes the A01 which is a subsidiary of Toyo Roki)

Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe
I wasn't sure if the Tough Guard's used the traditional cardboard endcaps and didn't want to gamble.

For what it's worth now, the answer is yes..

P4011015.jpg

I just compared my new PF52 to my old PF47 and the PF47's ADBV is black, while the PF52 is orange, so I feel the PF52 is superior in a number of ways: better beta ratios, better ADBV, and a larger capacity. All for the same price, I really hope it fits!
thumbsup2.gif

You got a PF-52 with a silicon ADBV? WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT?

The normal Delco Duraguards have nitrile valves, while the superior and discontinued Delco...........I think the name was Ultraguard's, have silicon. Is the paint on the silicon equpiied Delco different?

Dude, if it is an Ultraguard and you got it cheap at Walmart, I'd go back and stock up. Those were $10 filters with one of the best media in any oil filter.

Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe
Thanks for the pic, that's the same part number my Acura takes. Those don't look too tough to me.
LOL.gif

That was for a 99 civic SI I had, had the wife pick up oil & filter for a change but I neglected to tell her no fram, so instead of taking it back it sat around for some time til I got around to cutting it open.

Most of the PF-52 are made by WIX (the ones w/orange ADBV). IMO they are the same as wix/napa gold just half the price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back