Rear Brake Pads Wore Out After 28,000 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: mikeinaustin
for the g35, front and back are both solid discs.

That the fronts are solid surprises me.

Originally Posted By: ChiTDI
No, the next generation. Mark 4, I think they call it. But yes Golf/Jetta/A4 .

Oh, you meant A4 platform (PQ34). The Golf Mark IV is built on the PQ34 platform, which is shared with the Jetta, Audi A3, New Beetle and some other n/a in NA cars.

Anyway, I haven't heard anything about the brake issue, but then again I don't keep up with the newer cars. Maybe everybody's handbrake is dragging.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
Could there be a problem with the emergency brake mechanism?

My first thought, too (well, after I thought 'Old Saturns have rear discs?'). Do the rear wheels spin freely when you jack it up? Otherwise it must be a bum batch of pads. Either way, I don't think you should mix compounds front to rear.

That's the history of the A4 platform, mori, 99.5-04. Very common to literally double the front mileage vs. rears. May be the disc issue, maybe not. Some guys went on and on about rear brake bias and such, I really don't know the reason, but the numbers were staggering. I did my first rear brake job at 70k because the rust on the rotors said it was time. My fronts are still good at 145k! That mileage is mild compared to others.
http://www.tdiclub.com

It must be rear-brake bias, designed to keep the car level under heavy braking and allow the ABS and ESP to work properly. I suspect this is more important in cars with a greater front-to-rear weight ratio. You really want the rear brakes to work hardest, then add more braking force in the front when there's a need for a really quick stop.

Sorry for taking so long to respond!

Were the rear rotors solid and the fronts vented? That may explain a difference in longevity. VWs have that issue, which may explain why the rears wear first. Normally, as mech stated, the rears last twice as long.

Maybe the pads weren't right. Did you have a history of previous brake jobs on the car?

The original pads lasted until 89k. At that time, both the front and rears were replaced with AutoZone Duralast Gold pads. The front rotors are vented I believe and the rears are solid.

Originally Posted By: Tosh
Originally Posted By: doitmyself
Could there be a problem with the emergency brake mechanism?

My first thought, too (well, after I thought 'Old Saturns have rear discs?'). Do the rear wheels spin freely when you jack it up? Otherwise it must be a bum batch of pads. Either way, I don't think you should mix compounds front to rear.

I think this might be the problem. I do get a slight pad drag if I turned the rotors by hand. I know that this is normal for drum brakes, but I guess it isn’t for rear disc brakes with this type of caliper design? I’ll have to adjust the parking brake assembly and report back. I hadn't thought of this as the problem as I thought that such a condition would cause the rotors to show signs of overheating, but they do not.

Thanks!

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
is the parking brake mechanism a separate drum inside the rotor, or is it caliper actuated?

Caliper actuated.

[/quote]
It must be rear-brake bias, designed to keep the car level under heavy braking and allow the ABS and ESP to work properly. I suspect this is more important in cars with a greater front-to-rear weight ratio. You really want the rear brakes to work hardest, then add more braking force in the front when there's a need for a really quick stop. [/quote]

This must be correct for some cars. The OEM pads on my 2001 Honda Passport (Isuzu Rodeo) were into the rear rotors (all rotors solid) at 70K while the front pads had plenty left. I changed pads on all wheels (OEM ceramic) and now at 120K the rear pads are nearly gone again while the fronts look like new.
From what I read on the Isuzu forums, this is normal for 2nd gen Rodeo's. I've considered cutting the rear brake lines & installing an adjustable bias device, as used on race cars. Not sure what that would do to the ABS system, however.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

Originally Posted By: oilyriser
Is there a second driver of this car, who drives with the parking brake on?

No, but a dragging handbrake isn't out of the question. I'm going to check the handbrake this weekend. Thanks.

Originally Posted By: tropic
I can't think of any scenario in which rear pads would wear so quickly in normal service

Well, that is because you haven't met my wife or daughter yet!
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: Tornado Red
It must be rear-brake bias, designed to keep the car level under heavy braking and allow the ABS and ESP to work properly.

Now we know The Critic is driving on the edge most or even all of the time!

Check your e-brake. I just changed my fiance's rear brake pads yesterday because they were almost gone. But I know she's left the e-brake on quite a few times
06.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back