Filtermag on Toyota 90915-10004 Filter (pics)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently changed the oil on my '09 Vibe with a Toyota 2AZ-FE engine. I used the filtermag for around 1000 miles. The engine is still breaking in (around 2000 miles). I was amazed at the amount of fine ferrous dust that collected around the magnets. The oil was Mobil Clean 5000 5w-20 that replaced the factory fill at around 700 miles.

Filtercore.jpg

insidefilter.jpg

I used a pipe cutter to open up the filter. There was no dust created.

Jay

Originally Posted By: Jaykim81
I recently changed the oil on my '09 Vibe with a Toyota 2AZ-FE engine. I used the filtermag for around 1000 miles. The engine is still breaking in (around 2000 miles). I was amazed at the amount of fine ferrous dust that collected around the magnets. The oil was Mobil Clean 5000 5w-20 that replaced the factory fill at around 700 miles.

Filtercore.jpg

insidefilter.jpg

I used a pipe cutter to open up the filter. There was no dust created.

Jay

Jay, could you take a photo of the pipe cutter? (I love the cut and no shavings)

Not too much stuff on the magnets (I think the filter would get it) but anything is better than not.

I've got a few hard drives (about 20) that I just got done shooting (wanted to make sure that no one could get the data off them and will try to see if there is any magnets left that I could slap on a filter and compare. (2005 Corolla with 110k miles on it)

Take care, bill

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah

I've got a few hard drives (about 20) that I just got done shooting (wanted to make sure that no one could get the data off them)
Take care, bill

No that is a sure "fire" way to secure delete files!

crackmeup2.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
Jay, could you take a photo of the pipe cutter? (I love the cut and no shavings)

Sure thing...
wlk-35616_w.jpg

The image is from the Summit Racing website. This is where I purchased the pipe cutter for my exhaust projects. It works very well as a "oil filter cutter".

Jay

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT

I've got a few hard drives (about 20) that I just got done shooting (wanted to make sure that no one could get the data off them)
Take care, bill

No that is a sure "fire" way to secure delete files!

crackmeup2.gif

Off topic but;
grin2.gif

3.5 inch drives.

22lr hp out of a 6.5" SA revolver = dented cover
22lr hp out of a 10/22 rifle = poked a hole
22mag hp out of 6.5" SA revolver = went into drive but did not exit.
22mag hp out of a bolt action rifle = went into drive and slight crack on PC board
.223 55gn FMJ = right through. No cracks in PC board. 3100 -3200FPS will do that..
.38sp 141gn Button nose 6.5" SA revolver = bent the drive in half, cracked board
.357mag 125jhp 6.5" SA revolver = major hole and PC board blown off
.44mag 240jhp 7.5" Revolver = bigger hole
48.gif

.44mag 240jhp rifle = What drive??
shocked2.gif
Biggest piece was less than a inch that I could find.

I doubt any of that data is going to be read.

Next time I'll take photos....

Bill
34.gif

Originally Posted By: Jaykim81
Quote:

Sure thing...
wlk-35616_w.jpg

The image is from the Summit Racing website. This is where I purchased the pipe cutter for my exhaust projects. It works very well as a "oil filter cutter".

Jay

Thanks Jay. I'll look into something like that. The dremel works well but gets a little messy.

Take care, bill

Toyota does use this seeming high quality filter on most of their new vehicles and probably with good reason. It would be nice if they were generally available but for the recently posted $14 dealer price I'll stick with my $5.88 PURE ONEs @ Advanced. I did read on one of the many Toyota forums that they may use this hard to get filter to rule out the small percentage of buyers who don't change their oil and run around with the factory filter for several years and then have an "oil issue"??

Originally Posted By: mckennaiii
Thankx for posting the photo of this oil filter. Just bought 2009 Camry and I plan to use this filter vs. the one the dealer will use. It seems like an excellent oil filter. I plan to try one on my 93 Infiniti G20 - 2.0L. I purchased this filter from:
http://www.mcgeorgeparts.com/PD-90915-10004.aspx
Received excellent service from this company.

I'm curious how McGeorge is getting them, as very few dealers have those types available even for special order. In any case, they basically have the market cornered, and they know it!

I have the Thailand-made filters, and I'm running them strictly until the warranty expires. Then I'll probably get some WIX Gold filters from NAPA (I'm a bit leery of using a filter [the factory one] with such a thick foam media).

Last edited:
Thank you for replying to our email.

You can use the 90915-10004 oil filter in your 2009 Camry.

If we can be of further assistance, please feel free to contact us.

Sincerely,

Kym Wilson
Toyota Customer Experience

Customer 07/24/2008 01:46 PM
Is it ok to use the 90915-10004 oil filter on my 2009 Toyota Camry 2.4L
engine?

Have you done a partical count with this filter? I just ordered a couple of these for my 4Runner.. 90915-20004.

i also got caught with a Thailand-made filter on my wifes ECHO i don't buy my filters at the stealership anymore [$ 7.00 ] i installed a FRAM made by HONYWELL in north america [$ 4.25 ]

Originally Posted By: mckennaiii
You can use the 90915-10004 oil filter in your 2009 Camry.

If we can be of further assistance, please feel free to contact us.

Sincerely,

Kym Wilson
Toyota Customer Experience

Customer 07/24/2008 01:46 PM
Is it ok to use the 90915-10004 oil filter on my 2009 Toyota Camry 2.4L
engine?

I wonder if this also fit a 2.7L I-4 on a 2008 Toyota Tacoma. The original filter was a 90915-20003. Mc George does not stock this Original filter, and quoted me $11 each shipped but I have to order 10 at once. If this works on it would be great. Wondering what the OP's original filters part # was.

Originally Posted By: Chimay
Does anyone know what this material is made of?

It's cellulose based.

Denso has used this unusual construction for many years.

I have a case of the 90915-1003 for my wife's Toyota and they use the same construction.

UOAs don't show any significant advantage over Mobil 1 or Delco Ultraguard filters, but they aren't any worse, either.

Off topic but;
grin2.gif

3.5 inch drives.

22lr hp out of a 6.5" SA revolver = dented cover
22lr hp out of a 10/22 rifle = poked a hole
22mag hp out of 6.5" SA revolver = went into drive but did not exit.
22mag hp out of a bolt action rifle = went into drive and slight crack on PC board
.223 55gn FMJ = right through. No cracks in PC board. 3100 -3200FPS will do that..
.38sp 141gn Button nose 6.5" SA revolver = bent the drive in half, cracked board
.357mag 125jhp 6.5" SA revolver = major hole and PC board blown off
.44mag 240jhp 7.5" Revolver = bigger hole
48.gif

.44mag 240jhp rifle = What drive??
shocked2.gif
Biggest piece was less than a inch that I could find.

I doubt any of that data is going to be read.

Next time I'll take photos....

Bill
34.gif

Bill, nice study, and great entertainment!

I just pry off the cover and break the platters before disposal. A pity to break those shiny smooth platters... I also pry out the magnet for entertainment uses.

I have only had 2.5" drives in recent years, and while Seagate drives are eager to crash early in their life I don't deal with enough computers to make much of a collection.

so oil filters are not that useful?
I am tempted to take my filter off and put in a hollow shell and stick on of those electromagnet off car crusher yards and put in few extra alternators and supply ample power to the magnet to catch all the FREE FLOATING iron in the oil. and get super duper flow..

Is this good plan?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back