2004 Freightliner M2, Penray Coolant, 91000km

Status
Not open for further replies.
M2Coolant.jpg

This is the factory fill Freightliner coolant using Penray technology. When I filled out the form for submitting the coolant sample for analysis, I picked Cat Diesel Engine Antifreeze and Coolant as the closest equivalent and perhaps that was an error and an explanation for the low nitrite. Perhaps Penray uses lower nitrite than Cat DEAC.

I changed out the coolant after this analysis. I used Detroit Diesel PowerCool Plus.

I am not sure why the PH is low. This engine does idle a lot and perhaps that is the cause.

I did not use a cleaner. I drained the original coolant, filled up twice with distilled water and drained and then filled up with PowerCool Plus and distilled water.

George,

PH is indeed a little low for a "coventional" or hybrid type coolant. With nitrite as the only inhibitor being monitored in a "level 1" analysis, it is difficult to tell how much life the coolant had in it. I think this is where Cat usually would recommend to run a "Level 2" analysis. The level 2 can even show you whether the engine suffered from this coolant.

With our best Cat/coolant analyzer passed away, it is hard to get HD-coolant assistance on BITOG.

How much maintenance was done to the coolant over those 91000km, what is required per MB/Detroit,? To maintain 800 - 3200ppm nitrite?

Have you ever used test stripes?

Avoiding air to enter the system is critical with any coolant. I believe "sludge" in OAT coolant systems is in many cases caused by air leaks.

If there is a mechanical issue with the engine, cleaning the system will not help you to keep the new coolant clean, only resampling will tell how it holds up.

How did the cooling system look from the inside, have you inspected the tank, radiator core, hoses or thermostate housing?

Btw, I like the fact that you even flushed with destilled water, you're a lot like me!

Regards,

ED

"How much maintenance was done to the coolant over those 91000km, what is required per MB/Detroit,? To maintain 800 - 3200ppm nitrite?"

I am afraid I did not do any maintenance at all over the 91000km. I don't remember ever opening the surge tank cap over the four years. In fact, after I read your question, I referred to the Maintanance Manual for the Mercedes 906 engine and the two main requirements in the Manual are
1) Change coolant every two years.
2) Maintain SCA levels up between coolant changes.(testing is implied here)

"How did the cooling system look from the inside, have you inspected the tank, radiator core, hoses or thermostate housing?"

I did not get a chance to inspect the innards of the cooling system because I did not disconnect either of the two rad hoses nor did I open up the stat housing.

With extended life coolant in the engine now, the coolant should last longer than two years. I will get the coolant tested in a couple of years, if not sooner, and then decide whether I should add the extender or change the coolant or leave the coolant in as is.

Considering ALL the efforts put into the cooling system, nitrite wasn't too bad at the end. No need to lose your mind over the old coolant, or you'll go insane, (I know what I'm talking about). Just be happy with your current coolant choice, your plans with it are good. I can imagine, not every lab can analyze/interpret Powercool Plus, don't know whether a Cat Level-2 is useful here. It doesn't help if they're are looking for Cat ELC or TELC inhibitors only.

Someone better skilled than me may chime in here though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back