Coleman Fuel, white gas Octane?

Status
Not open for further replies.
what's the octane of coleman fuel, white gas.

might use it to solve some problems in small engines that don't like ethanol doped gas that is the only thing out of the pumps in this area now.

Originally Posted By: Steelhead

might use it to solve some problems in small engines that don't like ethanol doped gas that is the only thing out of the pumps in this area now.

LOL! It's around 70 octane and since no additives added to combat various problems such as varnishing, injector valve deposits, etc. It's not recommended for use to dope regular pump gas for use even in small engines.

Q (purveyer of all things Coleman)

BTW: we've been using 10% ethanol added pump gas north of you for over 2+decades and never have any problems on small engines and such.

My dad once bought a gallon of that to use in his old Aerostar when we ran out of gas way out in the sticks. It ran [censored]-poorly and the knocking was audible over the wailing of the failing differential. Got us to a gas station, though.

Uh, yeah, don't use this stuff in an engine.

In a situation like that you'd probably be better off to add a bunch of 91% or higher isopropyl alcohol to the tank. Or maybe mix it with the "white gas" to raise the octane level.

Originally Posted By: Steelhead

What problems are you having? We have had 10% ethanol in MN for several years. Only problem I have had is with storage. Keep it fresh (30 to 60 days and you will be fine).

Originally Posted By: firemachine69
We've been on E10 gas forever, however Shell's V-Power 91 Octane shouldn't have any ethanol in it, regardless of where you buy it.

In MN it has it unless it is explicitly states it on the pump which not many do.

Originally Posted By: firemachine69
We've been on E10 gas forever, however Shell's V-Power 91 Octane shouldn't have any ethanol in it, regardless of where you buy it.

The EPA mandates RFG fuels in some areas. Chicago, Milwaukee and the metro counties are quick examples.

I've never seen Shell 91 without ethanol in it [Chicago area].
I wish I could get it!

But for Steelhead - Maybe a jet enlargement will cure your small engine woes. Ethanol is not corrosive methanol, and should be at least decent if you get the jet size up 5% or so. [and adjust the idle screw]

I actually ran 4 year old Coleman fuel in my 6.5 hp B&S mower 2 weeks ago when I had to hastily cut the lawn before an emergency run out of town on business. The mower ran fine...didn't act up, miss, smoke or anything. I guess I got lucky.

When I was a kid .."white gas" merely meant unleaded.
21.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back