Use Motorcraft synthetic in GM engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
This may sound silly, but it is an honest question. Do you think it would be OK to run Motorcraft Oil in a GM V6 engine? The Motorcraft brochure states that it is targeted for Ford/Lincoln products, but does that mean that one should NOT run it in a GM engine? To me, a Ford engine and a GM engine would require a similar method of lubrication. Also, if you can run Quaker State in a GM and a Ford, why not Motorcraft oil in another mfgr's engines?

I think MC blend oil is an excellent oil based on UOAs. Sneak it into your GM engine at night and the engine will never know and be forever great full.

Great oil at a great price (depending upon where you get it), as others have pointed out, if you are in grade and the price is right it would be a very good choice.

There IS one or more UOA's in that section of this exact scenario (MC 5W-30 in GM V-6), and the results were great!

Originally Posted By: thomasew
This may sound silly, but it is an honest question. Do you think it would be OK to run Motorcraft Oil in a GM V6 engine? The Motorcraft brochure states that it is targeted for Ford/Lincoln products, but does that mean that one should NOT run it in a GM engine? To me, a Ford engine and a GM engine would require a similar method of lubrication. Also, if you can run Quaker State in a GM and a Ford, why not Motorcraft oil in another mfgr's engines?

It will work..but if you see Mr. Goodwrench at your front door with a baseball bat...better run dude...
grin2.gif

Before I found this forum I used to wonder about MC as well. I knew it would be acceptable to use MC 5W-20 in my Honda, but I had assumed that other 5W-20's were superior. I mean MC 5W-20 synblend was the second cheapest motor oil on the shelf at WalMart. Only Supertech was cheaper.

It turns out nothing could be farther from the truth. MC %W-20 Synblend is at least as good as any other nonsynthetic motor oil in the 5-20 grade.

I have used MC 5-20 in two Honda's going back to 2003. I have never had to add any between OCI's which average about 6700 miles on the OLM.IMO, there is no sense in using a full synthetic in a car with an OLM..The valve cover interior on the 2003 accord was as clean as new when the lease was over in 2007 (48000k miles).I now use MC blend in my other cars as well. However, wallyworld recently raised the price.$11.24 5qts. (I think), but still a great value.

It is entirely possible that may be the best part in the car. If nothing else, you will be able to suspend the car over Mike Rowe, the Dirty Jobs guy, by the oil film on the camshaft.
Seriously now, MC is fine oil, made by Conoco-Phillips. You can certainly use it with confidence in your GM, or any other make for that matter. Just match weight with what is recommended, change it regularly and don't worry.

I know on my 05 Grand Caravan I just emailed them asking them if their oil met the requirement that MoPar had. Don't know the standard offhand, but Motorcraft sent me back a email confirming that it did meet the standard. I've kept the email and printed off a copy in case the warranty company had a problem with it.

Originally Posted By: **** in Falls Church
Actually, it depends on which Ford refinery the oil comes from.

Oh, Ford doesn't have any more refineries now than GM does? Or than Castrol did until it was bought up?

It hurts to lose a sale, doesn't it?

This thread reminded me of the kids on the Cobalt forum who use Mobil 1 oil and are constantly looking for a Mobil 1 filter for the Ecotec engine (which isn't available yet). I guess they're worried about the oil being somehow incompatible with other brands of filters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back