2009 Subaru Forester 2.5X (base)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone here have the new redesigned 2009 Subaru Forester?

I think it looks great all around as far as appearance styling. I understand a lot of Subaru die-hard traditionalists took issue with the new body style because Subaru kind of took it mainstream, but I like it. I don't dislike the body style it replaced, I just like the new lines a bit better.

On the the mechanicals. I've read conflicting info regarding the rear differential in the 2009 Forester: On one discussion group (on Edmunds.com) it was said that the 2009 no longer has limited slip on the rear diff, but on subaruforester.org (I think that's the URL) it was stated that the rear diff is viscous (I guess that means LSD...) but the front diff is "open." There seems to be a consensus in the Forester enthusiast circles that the AWD system on the automatic transmission equipped Forester is better for actual off-roading than the system on the manual trans Forester, the main difference being in how the torque split is divvied up front to back, and the manual trans AWD system better for rain and snow on-road conditions. So this is an area of confusion for me.

I've never thought of Soobs as vehicles that you would actually use the AWD for a lot of off-roading, but apparently some people do, and among the model lineup the Forester appears to be the one the enthusiasts off-road with more than the Outback or the Tribeca (I don't care much at all for the Tribeca).

I have a Outback with the same rear end (non-ls) and it is without doubt the best thing I have EVER operated in ice and snow.

My commute is 50 miles one way and the conditions were so bad one day that it took me over 5 hours to get to work. I was passing 4 wheel drive trucks that were stuck on hills, having to go through 1-2 foot drifts and never slipped. This is with All season radials too. If I was in my normal ride that day (Corolla with snows on all 4) I would have been so stuck it would have taken a day just to get to me.

I do take it off road to go shooting and it does well, I do miss my 2000 Silverado ext cab 4x4 for missions like that but I needed another outfit that would have more useful all of the time.

I'm not sold on the engine (I don't like 2 of everything on a 4 cyl) but it does go down the road perfect. 80mph is like 40. Gets fair MPG.

My coworker just got a new 2009 Forester and likes it. MPG on a trip to Seattle was 25-26 overall. No coolant temp gauge. Real door frames for windows. Drives like my outback.

They make the 09 on the outback pan (so it is larger than the 08) and the rear seat got most of the room.

If the Forester 09 was on the lot when we were shopping for the outback (Jan 07) I would have left with one. We drove the 07 Forester and Outback back to back manual and autos and left with the Outback.

Also, the Subaru are VERY safe cars. My wife was hit by a semi truck in the b piller back and was safe. They had to replace the doors, some body work, windows and everything frame wise for the rear suspension (also rim/tire) last Oct. It took 7 weeks and 12k to fix it but you can not tell where it was hit and I watched them fix it every other day. Built very well.

Take care, Bill

PS: MY outback is a 2007 NA 2.5l Auto stickshift (4 sp auto)

Bill, that's some pretty good owner info there. What did you mean by not liking 2 of everything on the 4 cylinder engine? Is it something to do with accessories on the 2.5L boxer engine or something else about it?

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
Bill, that's some pretty good owner info there. What did you mean by not liking 2 of everything on the 4 cylinder engine? Is it something to do with accessories on the 2.5L boxer engine or something else about it?

A H4 motor is going to have 2 heads, 2 head gaskets, 2 manifold (both intake and exhaust) gaskets, a complicated header system, 2 valve covers instead of a simple I4 motor which has only one of the above.

More stuff to go wrong, more stuff to leak, more things = more troubles.. (both labor and $$$)

If you look how simple my corolla motor is compared to the Outback motor it is shocking. I can touch every square inch of the motor with ease on the Toyota. I can see only part of the Subaru's.

Lucky the parts you have to do (oil changes) its fairly simple on the Subaru, (on a scale of 1-10 the Subaru is a 3-4. The Toyota is a 1)

Also, the Subaru does require more maintenance (read $$) every 30k where normal cars get by with a lot less.

Subaru also has a timing belt (one of the longest ones out there) where most everyone else has gone back to a timing chain.

Take care, bill

Ok, I see your point now. Quite valid. The Ecotec 2.2 in my HHR is stone simple as well.

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
LoneRanger said:
Subaru also has a timing belt (one of the longest ones out there) where most everyone else has gone back to a timing chain.

Take care, bill

I just got some info on the 09s, it looks like a chain now (in the photos)??

I'm looking to buy an 09 Forester XT...I like how the turbo version runs (we own a NA 97 outback). We had no dislikes (other than power) for the 09 Forester X, it rode nice, handled great.

I'm thinking the VDC may be the reason there is no LSD (the brakes act like the "LSD").

Originally Posted By: deeter16317
LoneRanger said:

Take care, bill

I just got some info on the 09s, it looks like a chain now (in the photos)??

I'm looking to buy an 09 Forester XT...I like how the turbo version runs (we own a NA 97 outback). We had no dislikes (other than power) for the 09 Forester X, it rode nice, handled great.

I'm thinking the VDC may be the reason there is no LSD (the brakes act like the "LSD").

Nope. Only the 3l H6 is chain.

The 2.5 is a belt. You have to have it inspected every 30k miles and replaced (if it makes it) @ 105k.

Also you have to replace the spark plugs every 30k. (according to Subaru) as since they are on their side, they get [censored] in the electrode. (like a Airplane engine)

The Turbos use different plugs so they go longer. I'll be checking into getting plugs that don't require changing every 30k! (I'm spoiled by my factory plugs still in my 111k toyota motor)

Also, according to the schedule, I should have replaced my transmission fluid @ 15k...
shocked2.gif

Here is a PDF of the Maintenance schedule;

Subaru schedule for maintenance 2009 FED

Take care, Bill

The 2.5 is a belt. You have to have it inspected every 30k miles and replaced (if it makes it) @ 105k.

Is this inspection something one can do themselves or is it pretty much a dealer shop procedure due to accessibility and/or complexity?

I can only show you the same engine in the Outback.

You would take off 4 bolts to take off the cover and inspect here. Turn over the engine to see the complete belt.

It is a tight engine. The spark plugs on the passenger side would require quite a bit of stuff to be removed to get to them. The left are hard to get to but don't require items to be removed.

Also, on the last photo, you can see the coolant level, Mine goes down from the full mark to where it is now every 3k miles. (about a cup) I don't know if it has a external coolant leak (I can smell coolant when it is running at times and when it is hot in the garage) so I'm waiting to take it to the dealership and have them do the refill to full, put in the coolant sealer that is required by Subaru anytime you play with the coolant and if it goes down, then the put in the dye and have me drive it around for sometime then shoot it with a UV light.

I'm fairly sure that it has some type of a leak.
21.gif

In comparison here is my motor (dirty @ 111k) in the Corolla)

You can get you hands around every inch of the motor. Take off the plastic cover and all four sparkplugs are easy to get to. (a 15min tops job).

You can see the PCV hose in the top right of the motor. (5 min job)

Bottom of the motor you can see the oil filter. It can be gotten to when the engine is hot. (The subaru is wrapped by headers and cats. You HAVE to wait till it cools down to get off)

Here is a photo of the oil filter of my Outback which is the same as a 09 Forester.

img0736gf4.jpg

I still like the car, they have a lot of things I love (spin on transmission filter, easy to change all fluids, operation of the car, AWD is the best out there, good fuel economy for its size, safe and affordable)

Take care and hopefully this helps!

Bill

Holy [censored], that engine looks complex. I like to turn my own wrenches on routine scheduled maintenance items, that looks worse than my corvette used to be as far as clearance to get to things.

Also, on the last photo, you can see the coolant level, Mine goes down from the full mark to where it is now every 3k miles. (about a cup) I don't know if it has a external coolant leak (I can smell coolant when it is running at times and when it is hot in the garage) so I'm waiting to take it to the dealership and have them do the refill to full, put in the coolant sealer that is required by Subaru anytime you play with the coolant and if it goes down, then the put in the dye and have me drive it around for sometime then shoot it with a UV light.

I'm fairly sure that it has some type of a leak.
21.gif

Hopefully it's just one of the rad hose clamps that needs tightening. Mine drips from the lower hose during warmup, if I don't tighten it every year.

Try starting the car cold, let it idle to fully hot, and look for drops of coolant on the ground.

Quote:

Bill, you probably know this, but Subarus, especially the older ones (1999-2003) are notorius for head gasket failures and leaks.
I don't know what year is you car, but bring it to the dealer for every 15K service. Otherwise they can find ways to weasel out of warranty repairs.
I have had one side fail and the gaskets replaced. $1400 jobby if you have to pay.

I just had an idea for getting that oil filter out with no spills: Loosen it with a cap wrench, then just enough by hand so it's loose and almost dripping. Then cut a plastic container sized so it fits around the filter, and put a giant magnet outside on the bottom of the container so it will hold the filter against the bottom. Then you can unscrew it the rest of the way.

Originally Posted By: oilyriser

Hopefully it's just one of the rad hose clamps that needs tightening. Mine drips from the lower hose during warmup, if I don't tighten it every year.

Try starting the car cold, let it idle to fully hot, and look for drops of coolant on the ground.

I've put a roll of butcher paper underneath it and there are no drops that I can see. I've put it up on ramps not seeing anything.

The leak is slight if there is one. Like I said it has been may 2 cups total added to the overflow tank in 18 months / 18k miles.

Thanks! Bill

Originally Posted By: TwoWheelRider
Quote:

Bill, you probably know this, but Subarus, especially the older ones (1999-2003) are notorius for head gasket failures and leaks.
I don't know what year is you car, but bring it to the dealer for every 15K service. Otherwise they can find ways to weasel out of warranty repairs.
I have had one side fail and the gaskets replaced. $1400 jobby if you have to pay.

It is a 2007. I checked out Subaru before buying it and 99% of what I read was they fixed the head gaskets by 2004.

I've had a few UOAs with no coolant in the oil. I'm done doing UOAs but will do one just before the 5 year 60k mile warranty is ready to be over just in case.

Thanks, Bill

Originally Posted By: oilyriser
I just had an idea for getting that oil filter out with no spills: Loosen it with a cap wrench, then just enough by hand so it's loose and almost dripping. Then cut a plastic container sized so it fits around the filter, and put a giant magnet outside on the bottom of the container so it will hold the filter against the bottom. Then you can unscrew it the rest of the way.

If you wait about 30 mins to cool down (or put a fan on it and wait 10 mins) just loosen the filter till it starts to drip, the oil will drain around the filter and drip straight down and not get on the header/cat covers. Then after a few mins loosen some more and wait. Repeat and you'll have 90% of the oil out and the last 10% comes out when the filter is off.

Another way is get some foil, place it in the covers and take the filter off slowly allowing the drips to hit the foil. Once all the oil is out take the filter off and then the foil.

Put on the new filter and you are done.

All in all, it is easier than some other cars I have to work on (Hondas...) but not as easy as the oil changing champion in engineering. (the 2003-2008 Corolla)
grin2.gif

Take care and thanks!

Bill

The Corolla looks a bit easier than the Civic to work on, for sure :) But fortunately on the new base model Civics the oil filter is on the bottom of the engine and very easy to access. Looks a lot better than the Subaru esp for jobs like the plugs..

Where's the thermostat on the Corolla? Is it under the intake ducting or just obscured by the engine cover in the photo?

Originally Posted By: rationull
The Corolla looks a bit easier than the Civic to work on, for sure :) But fortunately on the new base model Civics the oil filter is on the bottom of the engine and very easy to access. Looks a lot better than the Subaru esp for jobs like the plugs..

Where's the thermostat on the Corolla? Is it under the intake ducting or just obscured by the engine cover in the photo?

Under the cover. It would take longer to drain the coolant than to change the thermostat.

I've changed oil in my Dads 2001 civic and that was a MAJOR pain.
mad.gif
06.gif

The new Civics are MUCH easier!
thumbsup2.gif

Bill

A friend of mines wife just bought an 09 Forester. He loves it. He just think its a cool and engineered car/suv. He says the differential actually has a dip stick on it? I thought that was very cool!

Originally Posted By: mcrn
A friend of mines wife just bought an 09 Forester. He loves it. He just think its a cool and engineered car/suv. He says the differential actually has a dip stick on it? I thought that was very cool!

Yep, dipstick on the front diff/transfer case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back