GL-5 viscosity 90 vs 80w90 vs 75w90

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are the differences between the above viscosities? I thought there were equal in working temp and differed only on the cold temp side.

However, 06 RAV4 4WD service manual specifies SAE 90 for above 0F and 80W90 for below 0F in transfer and rear diff. Being in south, and towing, looks like I should do 90.

Initially I was going to use redline 75w90 that I have, but now I have doubts. When I used redline in my previous car, subaru, it diveloped a diff whine between 30000 and 60000 miles on redline. Could be mechanical issue though as there was a lot of fine metal at 30000.

Just use any good 90, whatever the w rating. Try some Mobil 1 and mix in some 140wt if that makes you happy. afaik, gear oils are pretty forgiving.

I have a similar issue with my Honda GL1800 Goldwing. The manual calls for "80" grade. Don't see much straight 80 around anywhere. Honda is kind of odd with these straight grade recommendations.

I'm going to use a 75w-90 synthetic. And I'm not worried in the slightest.

Last edited:
If you want to buy a quart bottle of SAE 90 GL5 off the self, you'll probably have to go to a motorcycle dealer/service center or a marine dealership/service center.

I used to buy Lubrications Engineers LE 607 SAE 90, and now use their replacement LE 1605 SAE 110. But it only comes in 24 qt cases. There are a couple of online websites that sell it by the quart though.

Originally Posted By: INDYMAC
If you want to buy a quart bottle of SAE 90 GL5 off the self, you'll probably have to go to a motorcycle dealer/service center or a marine dealership/service center.

I used to buy Lubrications Engineers LE 607 SAE 90, and now use their replacement LE 1605 SAE 110. But it only comes in 24 qt cases. There are a couple of online websites that sell it by the quart though.

Indymac,
Excellent info.
I did my own research and that pointed me to the same oils that you mentioned: LE607, and newer LE1605, apparently popular among honda drivers (s2000 requires SAE90).
Interesting, it sounds like the honda's and toyota's requirement for old SAE 90 (above 0 F only) can be translated into new SAE 110.

Edit: info on SAE gear oil viscosity revision:
http://www.lubrizol.com/products/automotive-gear-oil/J306.asp

Last edited:
Yes, the old SAE 90 is the new SAE 110. I also think AMSOIL SVT 75W-110 is worth a serious look too, especially for folks that live up north. I haven't seen any VOA's, UOA's or testimonials about it yet though.

One more question. I reread the RAV4 owner manual and the service manual and there are viscosity discrepancies. The service manual spec 80W90 GL-5 gear oil for transfer case and 90 Hypoid oil GL-5 for the rear diff. The owner's manual lumps them into GL-5 90 above 0 F and GL-5 80W90 below 0 F.

It will be difficult to get the correct info from Toyota from their clueless people answering phones or emails.

I'm thinking that the service manual is correct and the transfer case doesn't see enough EP wear to warrant the heavier hypoid 90 oil (=110 new SAE) required for the rear diff.

BTW, the capacities are very low (0.5l), so I want to make sure correct fluids are used. Especially after hearing about the ford and nissan fiasco with rear diffs failing on "fuel efficient" gear fluids.

Any thoughts?

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
One more question. I reread the RAV4 owner manual and the service manual and there are viscosity discrepancies. The service manual spec 80W90 GL-5 gear oil for transfer case and 90 Hypoid oil GL-5 for the rear diff. The owner's manual lumps them into GL-5 90 above 0 F and GL-5 80W90 below 0 F.

It will be difficult to get the correct info from Toyota from their clueless people answering phones or emails.

I'm thinking that the service manual is correct and the transfer case doesn't see enough EP wear to warrant the heavier hypoid 90 oil (=110 new SAE) required for the rear diff.

BTW, the capacities are very low (0.5l), so I want to make sure correct fluids are used. Especially after hearing about the ford and nissan fiasco with rear diffs failing on "fuel efficient" gear fluids.

I called Toyota CA about the un-availability of 90W for the rear differential in my Tundra 4wd and they told me it was ok to use 80w90. They gave me a event number authorizing the switch.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
.... "Any thoughts?"

Yup. Run either a dino 80w-90 or syn 75w-90 in GL-5 and be done with it.

My $.02

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back