What do people think of Havoline Oils ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bitoggers,

What are your opinions on Havoline range of oils ? Texaco/Caltex are a major refiner and didnt they invent the hydrocracking or isosyn ? They seem to have a good range of oils, i just wanted to know if anyone has used it and are there any UOA with this oil on this site ?

Thanks
wink.gif

Havoline/Texaco/Chevron oils are just fine for just about any use you can think of. Here in the States, Chevron Supreme is a great oil for the price. Havoline used to be as well, but the new Deposit Shield formulation makes it a little pricey.

I have used Havoline, Havoline Deposit Shield, Chevron Supreme and Delo in the past, and was very pleased(in a non-scientific way)

Dont worry!!!
thumbsup2.gif

Bob

Yes, good oils. As Bob says ..they were a real bargain at one time, but a marketing campaign made them no longer such a deal.

it's an under rated oil. I think it's because they do not have a wizz-bang-wow advertisment program.

I just bought 12 cases of Havoline deposit shield for $1 a quart ($13 a case with tax). It was on clearence because nobody wanted it. I kept 2 cases of 5w-30 and sold the rest to a friend who runs an automotive shop. Some mechanics
28.gif
say it's an inferior oil and only good for clunkers
28.gif
28.gif
. I don't agree.

I have ran it in my Jeep. UOA's show good wear with it but.....

Every time I hit 1800 miles on it I get a noisey lifter! Does not happen with any other oil just the Havoline or Chevron. I got 3 cases of it in my garage I need to find a use for.

My local Murrays has about 10-12 cases of DS Havoline sitting on the floor, $1.89/qt.

Id jump on it in a heartbeat if the price was better, its on my watch list....
thumbsup2.gif

I got my Havoline w/Deposit Shield for .69/quart back when it first came out at Checker when I was out of town. I used it 3 times in my car with great results. Waiting on my 3rd analysis still, just sent it out yesterday. I would use it again, no problem!

One of my latest snags was a bunch of Havoline DS for $1/q from AutoZone. I was "stuck" with mostly 5w-20 but that's the one visc that WalMart and some other do not carry, so I'm good. I did a lot of runs on Chevron Supreme 10w-40 in the Euro cars when it was carried locally. The label said "Turbo Approved". I did the break-in on these oils and have no problem pouring them into my brand new cars.

Originally Posted By: vxcalais
Bitoggers,

What are your opinions on Havoline range of oils ? Texaco/Caltex are a major refiner and didnt they invent the hydrocracking or isosyn ? They seem to have a good range of oils, i just wanted to know if anyone has used it and are there any UOA with this oil on this site ?

Thanks
wink.gif

Havoline is a great oil to break in your car. I would use it for an OCI or two somewhere in the first 10 thousand miles!

Alot of fantastic responses. Thanks. Looks like a good option to use. 06Vtecv6, in regards to break in, do you mean this as a good thing, or in a bad way in that its good at allowing your motor to wear during the seating phase ?

I bought about 30 qts from Auto Zone when they were clearing it out, SL flavor, seems to be working fine in the 93 Aerostar.

Frank D

Quote:
I have Havoline Energy 5W30 in my 2001 Outback. Bought every jug I could find as it's an obsolete product.

I am currently using 5w30 Energy in my '06 Fiesta TDCi and LOVING it. Took away my turbo lag and improved my fuel economy.

Do you have a detailed spec on Havoline Energy 5w30 ??? Any UOA or VOA ???

Last edited:
What SM oils havent dummied down the additives. It seems LPG specific oils (not sure if they have them in the U.S) more label marketing than anything, but seem to have higher TBN's and more addtives than normal oils (Probably a rebadged diesel oil). Still come in SL or SM rating.

With the Havoline here, they only sell it from Safeway/Caltex Service stations (Gas Store hehe?). The Delo 400 Multigrade, is the only one with the starburst on it and it is about $10 dearer that the mineral premium and similar to the synthetics in cost. They have the ISOSYN symbol on the bottle and market it with this. Are they possibly charing premium for ISOSYN when it may only be a GRoup 2 ? Or are their ISOSYN GRoup 3 mineral ? Either way i think Delo has gotten some good reviews.

Originally Posted By: Loobed
Some mechanics
28.gif
say it's an inferior oil and only good for clunkers
28.gif
28.gif
. I don't agree.

For whatever reason my dad agrees. He would not use Havoline in a mower if it was free. He is a pennzoil user.

Quote:
With the Havoline here, they only sell it from Safeway/Caltex Service stations (Gas Store hehe?).

Here in SA as well. You can only purchase it at service stations. But it is really well priced.

Delo 400 15w40 ISOSYN will set you back USD$ 17.00 for 5L.

BTW , I noticed that OZ (Australia for the Yanks) has more or less the same spec oils availible. Must be due to the similar climates....

Oh , and Springboks for the Tri-Nations :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back