Replacing one tire on RWD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just found out I got a nail stuck in the sidewall on one rear tire for a Nissan 350z. The tires all around are Bridgestones with maybe over 50% thread left. You guys think it's ok to replace one rear tire, or should I replace both? It just seems such a waste to replace the other good one. I'm thinking of replacing it with Kumho ECSTAs. Any help appreciated. If it's any help, this car is solely for daily driving use.

Honestly, I would replace them both with new rubber or rotate the wheels and put a single new tire on the front. This is mainly to save the rear differential from the added wear of having mis-matched tires with different circumferences.

I would replace both especially being its a high performance car with a sensitive limited slip differential most likely. You don't want unequal speed rotation between the wheels if you can help it.

FWIW, Audi recommends no more than 4/32 difference in tread depth for tires on the same drive axle in AWD vehicles. I'd bet you meet that.

Most reputable tire store won't mount any tire with less than 5/32 trend for you for liability reason, so I think finding a "similar" used tire is out of the question.

On top of that, if the car has limited slip in the rear, you don't want to mess with mismatch tire. Just buy a new set and sell the old one on craigslist cheap. Someone will find it useful on their non-limited slip car.

What size is it?

Cool thanks guys, I guess I will replace both. They are the stock 235 50r 17 in the back. Man, what a waste of a tire. I don't think it's even worth it to sell a used tire.

If you've got 50% tread left on the others, you can just buy one tire and have it shaved to match depth. Higher end tire shops will be happy to do this. No need to buy 2 new ones and toss a still good tire with 50% tread.

You must do that with AWD, but it's also a good idea to do on the same axle with FWD/RWD.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Replace both and keep the good one as spare, in case you need one in the future.

And do what with the existing spare, which likely has full tread on it?

Setting aside a 50% worn single for future use is just moving the problem to another day. It's fairly useless as a single. Better use is hanging from a tree.

If the vehicle has a full-size spare (and I believe the new Z car does), it's probably still fresh. No need to replace that one. If the same as the others, he could have the spare shaved and put the new tire on the spare wheel. But messing with the spare is too much effort under the circumstances.

But I like the idea of a single, shaved replacement best. Saves money and space in the garage. And he won't have F-R relative traction differences, which in a sports model are more pronounced.

Quote:
If the vehicle has a full-size spare (and I believe the new Z car does), it's probably still fresh. No need to replace that one. If the same as the others, he could have the spare shaved and put the new tire on the spare wheel. But messing with the spare is too much effort under the circumstances.

If the spare is new and the same as the others he could buy one new tire and use the new one and the spare as the tires for his rear and then use the %50 tire as the spare.

Just a thought.

This way he is

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Based on the info I found, the 350z comes with a temporary spare, not a full-size one.

If so, all the more reason to just buy a single and shave it to depth.

Hmm... I believe his OEM tires is B-stone RE040. In size 235/50/17 it costs $197 at TireRack, plus the cost of shaving it to match the other tire.

Now, a tire with 50% of all tread left only has about 30% of its useful tread remaining:

New is 10/32", so 50% tread is 5/32". But by the time it hits 3/32", it practically becomes useless in wet. So, all he's going to get is about 2/32" tread life to go through (from 5/32" to 3/32"). 2/32" is about 30% of the tire's entire useful tread life of 7/32" (10/32" minus 3/32").

On the other hand, for about $240 he can get two new Kumho Ecsta tires, 100% of useful tread left.

In this case, I would lean towards getting two new tires as opposed to one shaved one. Granted, the Ecsta will probably not be as grippy as the RE040, but then again, he wrote that his 350z is a daily driver. I guess he will have to make that determination.

Shaving a new tire give you 50% of the trend for 1 of the tire price + 1 mounting cost + 1 shaving cost. The tires match in diameter, but not in age, and you are forced to buy the same tire again.

Buying 2 new tires give you 100% of the trend for 2 of the tire price + 2 mounting cost, and you can sell the remaining tire on craigslist or ebay. Plus guaranteed matching tires in size, age, and the options to pick any tires you want.

I'd say buy 2 new ones or 1 old identical one from someone if you can wait.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back