Reliability of Chevy Colorado 5 Cylinder??

Originally Posted By: JTK
I'm with you INMY01TA. I'd be very surprised if even the 4cyl did better than ~24mpg on straight hywy travel, fill-up to fill-up. Lots of people quote MPG readings based on a partial tank. That's meaningless IMO.

Joel
Well I went to New Jersey from Md a few months ago. All highway travel and averaged 23 something miles per gallon. Cruise control at 65mph the whole time.

We have a 2005 5 cylinder Colorado with 200K miles on it. No one did the timing chain maintenence. It's a ticking bomb.

One thing to consider, the 1st gen Colorado/Canyon have captive front brake rotors, making rotor service unnecessarily time consuming. They're not the end of the world, but enough to piss you off.

My Son has a 2012 with the 3.7. It's a nice truck and he has had zero issues. He drives the heck out of it. I wouldn't mind having one like it.

My dad traded in his 4x4 S10 with 4.3V6 for a new 2005 Colorado extended cab 5cyl. I never forget his comment about the 5cyl .....he said it has the power of a 4cyl and the gas milage of a 6 cyl and he wishes he kept the S10 lol

I have 2 neighbors with them in Hummers, both have had cracked exhaust manifolds. The cat is integrated into the manifold.

I owned a couple … no issues. Guy near me finally traded a 2007 for a new full size (original owner)

Wife's H3 has the 3.7 and its pretty much a dog responsive enough around town due to 4.56 gearing. My new to me trailblazer with the 6 will run and hide from it. Same chassis but the H3 is quite a bit heavier.

Former boss ordered a new Colorado in 2004. Reg. cab short bed Z71 4x4, 5 cyl with manual transmission and no power anything. As of last year he still had it and it had 260,000 miles.

I had a colleague that had a Hummer H3 when it was new, I think it was a 2009 or 2010 I can’t remember. But it started having misfires a year into her ownership and GM replaced the cylinder head. Apparently there is a known issue with the cylinder heads on these. I’ve know numerous ppl with the 2.8 4 cylinder in this generation Colorado and none of them have had issues I’m aware of.

I have a 2005 std cab I5 M5 Colorado. 35k miles total, 15k miles on the second engine (bought it with a blown engine). I'd guess 20% better gas mileage than my 2013 5.3 A6 4wd ext cab Silverado. About half the interior space and payload at maybe 70% of the weight. Very little towing capacity.
What really strikes me about the motor is the lack of low end torque, something that is really good to have in a pickup. It will move, but only if you are using the upper end of the RPM band.
If I was to buy new or used, the Colorado would have to come in at about 1/3 of the price of a same year, condition and mileage Silverado for it to be worth considering, IMO.

I have heard mixed things on them. It’s a Chevy so reliability may not be that good anyway lol. I have worked on a lot of those trucks mostly my neighbors and I’ve replaced the oil sending units and a few other things on them. Other than that seem to be ok.

Never was a fan of the 4cyl & 5cyl Atlas engines because they didn't do anything the Gen I 4.3L V6 couldn't do & were far less reliable at the same time being twice as complicated. Liked the 4.2L I6 Atlas albeit GM could've engineered a 4.3L Gen III/IV V6 for those applications.

Wife's H3 has the 3.7 and its pretty much a dog responsive enough around town due to 4.56 gearing. My new to me trailblazer with the 6 will run and hide from it. Same chassis but the H3 is quite a bit heavier.
My grandparents had an 02' Trailblazer with that straight six, I loved that thing. While no race car, it had plenty of power and decent fuel economy. Was better on gas than my grandpa's 14' Grand Cherokee. Same power.

It's too bad that engine didn't make it in the Colorado.

Back