Honda Accord V6 Oil Drain Plug Torque

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just about to do my first oil change on a 2007 Honda Accord 3.0 V6 6MT 4-door sedan.

I've seen a number of warnings about not overtightening the oil pan drain plug on Hondas but reliable information on the proper torque is missing (a few guesses and "if I remember correctly"'s here and there). And I haven't bought a shop manual yet.

Anyone have the actual torque specification? I'd be much obliged.

Ecotourist

---------------------------------------------

2007 Honda Accord V6 6MT Sedan
2000 BMW 528i 5MT Sport

Have you checked the owner's manual? The rating for my 07 Civic is 29 lb*ft, and it's documented in the "Maintenance" section of the owner's manual in the oil change section.

i seem to remember almost all hondas being around 29 ft-lbs. i always changed out the drain plug gasket. we had a huge selection at my old work.

You're right rationull. I thought I had checked there and found nothing. It is right there, and as both you and bdcardinal suggest it is 29 lb-ft.

It must have been that week-end of excess! - yes that's it, or at least that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Ecotourist

2000 BMW 528i 5MT Sport

I just checked the spec for an 07 TL V6 (same engine as Accord) and the spec is 29 lb/ft.

I recommend using Honda crush washers when you change the oil, even if you don't use Honda filters.

Honda oil pan drain plug threads are generally softer than other makes, and are somewhat easy to strip. (Which is a good reason to do it yourself instead of an over zealous lube tech who cranks on it like he's tightening a lug nut)

Using a crush washer and proper torque guarantees that you won't have problems, even after the oil has been changed 50 times.

Last edited:
Thanks for the tip AcuraTech.

I do have a Honda OEM drain plug gasket and I'm going to use a Wix 51356 filter. On the Temple of VTEC site, one of the writers suggested that the gasket was 'sided' with one aluminum side being thicker than the other - which it is. And that the thinner aluminum side should go towards the pan. Whether true or not, it couldn't hurt to do it that way.

Ecotourist

2000 BMW 528i 5MT Sport

Interesting. If there is a specific orientation for the Honda aluminum crush washers to go on I'd like to know. I've just been putting them on my Civic any which way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back