When to change to synthetic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
Actevo is a syn? thought it was a syn blend?

I THOUGHT it said "full synthetic" on the bottle. I'll dig up a bottle tonite and see what it does say.

From website:

Castrol Act>evo 4-Stroke Oil is suitable for all makes of four-stroke motorcycle engines running on leaded or unleaded fuel.

Features and Benefits
Affordable, premium synthetic blend
Excellent gear and wet-clutch performance
Active Protection Molecules create a protective film that is active even when the engine is off
Prevents dry starts
Provides continuous protection during start-up and warm-up
Protects against harmful engine deposits
Good oil-consumption control
Specifications
Weights: SAE 10W-40, 20W50
Sizes: 1 L (1.06 qt.); 4 L (1.06 gal.)
Exceeds API SG, JASO MA

There are plenty of us that ride/have ridden in sub-freezing temps. I personally have been going up and over the Bear Tooth Mountain pass into YNP in 3" of snow on my Valkyrie Interstate. What a posterior-puckering experience that was. I think that the temps were around +25 degF. It was a choice we made to experience the "adventure" of it all. Not smart, but certainly exciting. In general, two wheeled travel at sub-freezing temps is an ill-advised mode of transporation.

Back on topic; cold pumpability of your typical HDEO oil is NOT an issue when you're barely sub-freezing (say +25 deg and up). Cold pumpability IS an issue when you're talking -10 degF, but I doubt many people ride in that kind of weather.

That's why I contend that synthetics for motorcycles are a non-issue regarding cold weather.

If you're riding at -10degF or lower, then synthetics would be recommended. And I'd be the first to admit you're a tougher man than I am riding in that cold. But then, the insanity comment might just have more relavance at that point!

Quote:
I'll dig up a bottle tonite and see what it does say.

Looking at the bottle (this is from a case I bought back in '03 or so, I don't know what a current bottle will show), it just says it has 'Synthetic Active Protection Molecules', so I'm pretty certain it is a semi-syn.

After the Moto Man break-in you are good to go. Go on and run your favorite flavor of oil when you are ready to change it.

I could never do the MOTO MAN break in...that guy looks like his picture should be in the Post Office...
grin2.gif

Hi,
e4gulf - Unless the manufacturer states otherwise you can move to a conforming synthetic lubricant almost anytime but after about 500 miles or so is a good point

I changed mine over at 800kms (500 miles) - it has performed superbly ever since

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back