Alternative for Toyota ATF T-IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking an alternative for Toyota ATF T-IV. This is for my 05 Corolla, 4 spd Aisin automatic transmission. I know that some of the Volvo stealerships sell Volvo ATF (relabelled T-IV) for $20+ per qt. And some Volvo owners have been going to Toyota stealerships to get the same ATF at a fraction of the price ~$4.50. So this thread isn't only relevant to Toyotas. But for cars that have Aisin transmission that call for T-IV.

Before you start recommending Amsoil Universal ATF, which I already know is the best alternative... I am wondering if people have tried these ATFs available to me locally and is often on sale. These ATFs all claim to be T-IV compatible:
  • Valvoline MaxLife DEX/MERC ATF
  • Pennzoil Multi-Vehicle ATF
  • CASTROL Import Multi-Vehicle ATF
  • SuperTech ATF (a bitoger here said this is T-IV compatible)
  • Mobil ATF 3309 (Mobil makes T-IV)

I changed out my factory ATF with 3.5 qts of T-IV from the stealership at 40K miles. I dropped the pan and cleaned the ATF filter, Toyota recommended cleaning the screen filter. No need to replace it. I was shocked to see how much black sludge that was at the bottom of the ATF pan. However, I can still feel a faint jolt sometimes when the car and ATF isn't fully warm. Basically, I'm looking for a higher quality ATF what will shift smoother. I'm wondering if I should do another T-IV drain/fill and pray the AT shifts smoother.

I'd like to hear from people that have actually used these fluids.

Last edited:
Firm shifts are probably normal for your high reving 4 cyl. I would not be too worried about a firm shift, if that is what you felt.

A lot of people in the Volvo circles use the Mobil 3309 fluid. I tried one drain-and-fill with T-IV and the transmission did not shift right. It seemed to affect the shift points. Not bad, just different. I changed it using the Amsoil and its back to its old self. I have changed it a couple of times with the Amsoil since with no issues.

I thought Mobil 3309 is the same as Toyota T-IV and Volvo Aisin ATF? Just in different bottles. Is Mobil's 3309 better than the these dealership ATFs?

I just drained/refilled my girlfriends Saturn Ion with the Aisin 5 speed auto. I bought the T-IV fluid at Toyota for $4.85 a quart. The Saturn dealer wanted over $16.00 for the same stuff. It looks like Mobil makes all the house brands for the Aisin Transmission. It's all 3309.

I think the jolt and shift flare are common for the Aisin transmission. I know my girlfriends car jolts when I put it in reverse or drive.

I think I would just continue to use the Toyota fluid. You can can do drain/refill every 10k or so.

From what I could tell, Mobil makes the T-IV at the dealership.

Look at any dealer bottle of T-IV, and then look at a bottle of Exxon Superflo engine oil.

All that in mind, I love using Amsoil ATF in T-IV situations. I used it in a 2002 Solara, and did a simple drain and fill. I could feel the improvement by the butt dyno measurement.

I went to the stealership today to buy the T-IV. The parts guy was like... How often are you change the ATF? You know Toyota ATF is a "life time fluid".

He was almost discouraging me trying to give them $22 for 4 qts. This is the first time I've heard this at any dealerships making these claims. I told him I've dropped the pan before and where was a lot of [censored] at the bottom that shouldn't be there.

If I recall when I bought the ATF for my first drain/fill at another dealership. They were asking me whats wrong with my AT. I told them nothing is wrong I wanted the factory fluids out.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: sunfire
I thought Mobil 3309 is the same as Toyota T-IV and Volvo Aisin ATF? Just in different bottles. Is Mobil's 3309 better than the these dealership ATFs?

It's the same fluid as T-IV. Mobil makes T-IV. FWIW, try doing 4 drain fills with the T-IV with 20 miles of driving in between each DF. Your trans may smooth out a bit. That should give you 85% new fluid. I did my Lexus RX330 AW trans that way and now drain fill every 15,000 miles. At 145,000 miles it still shifts like new. Fluid stays clean too.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back