Redline Engine Break-In Additive

Status
Not open for further replies.
33aqvmc.png

Thoughts?

from their website:

"provides conventional motor oils with antiwear additives like zinc and phosphorus (ZDDP) necessary to protect against camshaft and valvetrain damage on break-in.

This is especially important in flat-tappet engines where bigger camshafts grinds and higher valve spring pressures are now popular. This additive is designed to allow pistons rings to seat properly, while allowing other engines components to avoid excessive wear."

http://www.redlineoil.com/products_motoroil.asp?categoryID=1

I am curious about it because the guys who tune vw 2.0 turbo engines report problems with cam follower wear mainly when running aftermarket high pressure fuel pumps (which run off of a cam follower).

These guys run some seriously high horsepower for such a small engine and can take a motor probably up to or beyond it's limits, (running as high as 26 psi boost).

One benefit of that is it finds an engine's weak points so that when using the engine in stock form you can account for those weak spots (note that I always try to make ever engine last forever and under normal circumstances it may not be an issue), in this case added cam/cam follower protection. I am just breaking in my car so I may give this a try to protect the cam/follower during break in.

Originally Posted By: saaber1

This is especially important in flat-tappet engines where bigger camshafts grinds and higher valve spring pressures are now popular. This additive is designed to allow pistons rings to seat properly, while allowing other engines components to avoid excessive wear.

Very important when BREAKING IN a motor of this caliber. Not the first couple thousand miles, but the initial 20 min break-in above 2k rpms, and 1st 500 mi oci. Im not claiming your motor will lockup if you don't use a break in add, but this stuff gives a little extra protection. Not so much a modern motor, but you will notice many manufacturers factory fill is specially formulated for break-in.

Last edited:
You don't want to load the motor with ZDDP, as super high levels may be good for the cam but the pistons don't benefit as much and don't seat well. This additive is a good balance that allows the pistons to seat while still protecting the cam, and it is ester based.

Originally Posted By: Taylor
You don't want to load the motor with ZDDP, as super high levels may be good for the cam but the pistons don't benefit as much and don't seat well. This additive is a good balance that allows the pistons to seat while still protecting the cam, and it is ester based.

But wouldnt that depend what oil your adding it to in the first place? If you added it to something like 15w 40 Delvac which has allready high ZDDP would you now have too much?

Originally Posted By: 4banga
But wouldnt that depend what oil your adding it to in the first place? If you added it to something like 15w 40 Delvac which has allready high ZDDP would you now have too much?

Yes the finial level would depend on the sarting point, but remember this is just breakin not a full oci, 20 min pull above 2k rpm's and a 500 min run. I don't really like the idea of a 15w40 for breakin considering the oil will hardly get up to temp. I use 0wX for it's cold flow properties, and boost the AW levels with an add like this.

This stuff would be great for boosting your regular engine oil. I'd run a boost of at least 200 ppm phosphorus, maybe 400 for heavy duty use.

For high HP motors that we knock together (> 1.5 HP/Cubic Inch) with flat tappets I always break them in on HDEOs and really glob the assembly lube on the lobes and lifters. Run for the first 20 minutes with the throttle up then change oil and filter out while it's hot. We haven't had issues after following that procedure...except for the one time someone left a wing nut sitting on the carb's butterfly
shocked2.gif
that wasn't good!

Im not saying you cant, I just finished breaking-in a motor with straight RTS.

Here is one formula for determining new ppm levels.

(Additive oz. x PPM + Oil oz. x PPM)/(oz. of Additive + oz. of PCMO) = new ppm

molakule,could you explain more on what all the formula means etc.additive oz. ppm of what? oil oz.of what? oz of additive? oz of pcmo?amt of oil added to sump?

thankyou

oz of add x ppm of that add + oz of sump x ppm of add in sump / oz of add + oz of sump

(Additive oz x PPM + Oil oz. x PPM)/(oz. of Additive + oz. of PCMO) = new ppm

16 oz x 13610 + 192 oz x 800 / 16 + 192
217760 + 153600 / 208
371360 / 208
~1785 ppm

this is assuming a 6 qt sump and oil starting at 800 ppm of given add zinc in this case

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: wjdell
You would be surprised - it would work very well.

?

Why do the oil companies put Ca in oil for - no big secret. Its mainly a detergent, its a solid. You could buy Calcium Carbonate in laboratory grade and add to oil yourself. Thats all they are doing.

Farmers have been using baking soda since the turn of the century.
It rushes break in and cleans in the process.

how does baking soda "rush" a break in????

and I dont understand what your first post was in response to? What would work very well?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back