5W-20 vs. 5W-30? Ford 4.6L 3v

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like some opinions on what weight/viscosity of oil I should use.

First, some information. I typically drive the car 5-15 miles at a time. Mainly stop/go traffic from light to light. Not much highway. It is driven mainly in 45-100 degree weather however it is sometimes driven in temperatures as low as 10-15 degrees. Vehicle sees 2800-3500 miles per year. It currently has 8000 miles on the odometer and until now has seen Motorcraft 5W-20 semi synth blend changed every 3000 miles by the dealer. The motor is a 4.6L 3V 281 (mustang GT). The car is babied and garage kept but will be taken out to the drag strip approximately twice a year. Does see some hard driving around town but nothing insane. Maybe one WOT start every second or third time I drive the car on average.

Now on to my questions. Ford recommends 5W-20 but Scott Whitehead who helped design the 281 says it was done *purely* for CAFE standards and that 5W-30 is a better choice for increased protection. However this is NOT what Ford recommends. Interestingly, Roush and Saleen recommend 5W-30 for the same engine. I've seen someone post an analysis showing MC 5W-20 breaking down prematurely and not holding up very well. So what's the deal guys? 5W-30 or 5W-20?

I can get Mobil 1 locally and cheaply. But I hear it isn't a pure synthetic oil. Is it superior to MC? And if not what other brands should I consider? I can get Royal Purple but it's expensive and I've heard some bad things about it.

Thanks

If you drive like Grandpa then 5W-20, but if you drive it a little hard probably 5W-30 would be the way too go. If this were my car and it sounds like you want to use a Group IV 100% synthetic then I would go with Amsoil. Mobil 1 may or may not be 100% synthetic, I just do not know, Royal Purple is a Group III oil with fantastic advertising in my opinion. Ford recommends 5W-20 for the fuel mileage, I would not go to anything above 5W-30, meaning do not go to a 10W-30 because I have read about guys doing this and then at 100,000 miles they are using oil. Another good oil is Pennzoil Platinum Synthetic, but it is a Group III oil, basically it is hydrocracked, will you be driving this car in the winter time, if you are going to drive it hard please make sure the car is warmed up, any questions please post back.

Last edited:
I drive the car harder than Grandpa. Wide open throttle starts every 2 or 3 times the car is driven. Otherwise typically shifting up around 3000RPM.

I have heard Ford recommends 5W-20 because of tighter tolerances in engines these days not just CAFE standards. I don't know what to believe. They recommend 5W-30 for their V6 mustang.

Amsoil seemed like the way to go but then I've read some negative things about them as well.

The car will see about 600-800 miles during the winter. Driven every two weeks on average, 15-20 miles or so.

Last edited:
Riptide, go too the Amsoil site and look at there 5W-20 and 5W-30 and you will see that there flash and pour points are about the same, what negative things have you read about Amsoil, both 5W-20 and 5W-30 start out as a 5W or 5 weight to be exact, this is what I would also do, PM both Pablo and Gary Allan they are both basically encyclopedias on motor oil's and can answer any questions you might have, they will tell you the honest truth. Gary Allan has helped me out so much that when my 1st child is born I am going to name it Gary, even if it is a girl.

I've heard other than their XL line they aren't API certified and some manufacturers deny warranty coverage if non API certified oils are used.

Also I've heard some negative things about their marketing practices.

I'm leaning towards Redline or Mobil 1. What I'm not sure about is if I should use 5W-30 or 5W-20.

The reason for this is because to be certified Amsoil would have to pay $250,000.00, now onto there marketing practices, back when Mr. Amsoil started making oil in the 1960's he sold some to various people, for whatever reason he did not go mainstream like Mobil 1, maybe none of the auto chains would by from him or he did not want his oil marked up, when you buy directly from Amsoil or the sponsors who are distributors you are bypassing a middle man, I can get Amsoil XL cheaper than Pennzoil Platinum and it is delivered to my door and I can get oil filters too, so I am saving gas by not having to travel to the store, Pennzoil Platinum is an excellent oil too. I think with Redline you have to buy it from a distributor, whether you choose Redline or Mobil 1, I would stick with whatever oil you choose and not go back and forth. Whether to use 5W-30 or 5W-20 you need to PM Pablo or Gary Allan.

they now say that the 5w20 is better for the Variable Cam Timing actuators on the 3v motors. the recommendation for the 2v and 4v 4.6 and 5.4 motors, shouldn't have been made really, since there are no internal tolerance differences.

the v6 in the newer mustangs is the 4.0 SOHC, which never got the 5w20 recommendation, same as the SVT Focus.

for what its worth the Shelby GT500 and Ford GT both spec 5w50 oil.

If this is the case then 5W-20, does this mean my Marauder with the 4v should be using 5W-30, remember the 5W-20 recommendation is for Riptide's 3v Mustang.

c3po FWIW a friend has a Crown Vic with 212,000 miles on it and has only used Halvoline 5w30 and has done NOTHING too the engine. Every thing is original except the water pump , changes the oil every 6,000 miles.

Last edited:
IMHO for only 3500 miles a year I wouldn't even bother with synthetic. I'm not yet confortable with longer than 6 month intervals for short trip low annual mileage applications.

If it were me, I would probably use any 5W30 (based only on your comment of track time) change April and October and call it good. That is what I do with my 98 F150 (with 158,000 miles on it) which now sees about 3-4,000 per year.

I agonized over this for a little while but in the end I decided to stick with the Ford recommended weight/viscosity. I just bought 6 quarts of redline 5W-20. I will use the ford filter and do the change next month sometime.

I intend to change the oil again in May regardless of the mileage which should be real low. Yes I realize I may have wasted money here but in the end the car is my baby and nothing is to much for it. I'm sure some of you understand that attitude.

That said the car is driven fairly hard but I haven't hit the track yet this year and won't until next summer. Next summer when I change the oil again I may consider 5W-30.

It's only oil, it shouldn't cause agony. 5w20 is fine. The redline is fine. The motorcraft was fine. Your driving habits are not that tough and your conditions are mild. occasional WOT runs are actualy a great way to keep an engine in good running order.

You got the best of both worlds. Redline 5W-20 might as well be a 5W-30. Massive overkill, but if it heps you sleep, then go for it!

Originally Posted By: addyguy
You got the best of both worlds. Redline 5W-20 might as well be a 5W-30. Massive overkill, but if it heps you sleep, then go for it!
If it HEPS you sleep go for it, Redline 5W-20 will be fine, just make sure you stick with this oil and do not jump around too different oil's.

Last edited:
Riptide, you can try different weights of oil, just stick with the same brand of motor oil, if you drive the car hard just make sure to check the oil level the next day. By the way, are you thinking about using 5W-30 or 10W-30 in the warm weather and using 5W-20 in the winter time. Since you are going the Redline route I would talk to Dave over at Redline. Do you know how much you are being charged for a quart of Redline 5W-20 and where or who did you buy it from.

I'm thinking of trying some 5W-30 next summer when it gets hot. Right now I have MC 5W-20 in there. The redline 5W-20 will be going in towards the end of next month.

I paid $58 including shipping from redline's website for 6 quarts. I'm going to use a motorcraft filter when I change the oil out. I've heard they are decent.

Riptide, Motorcraft Oil Filter's are fine, I would stay away from Fram Oil Filters, you can find a wealth of information about Oil Filters in the Oil Filter section right here on BITOG.

Riptide, I run 5W20 Redline in my 2004 4V Mach 1. I have been very happy with it. Same driving habits as you.

Originally Posted By: Bryanccfshr
It's only oil, it shouldn't cause agony. 5w20 is fine. The redline is fine. The motorcraft was fine. Your driving habits are not that tough and your conditions are mild. occasional WOT runs are actualy a great way to keep an engine in good running order.

It's only oil. Everything is fine...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back