Good/value priced engine oil for Mercedes E55 AMG?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In few words: RTFM. What does it say about oil? Do exactly that. Unless you just have an AMG "styled" Mercedes you will have a very high performance engine that will likely have very specific oil requirements derived from the AMG engine team. Follow those requirements! To the letter.
For me, the manual in the jeep simply say "SAE" and nothing more i.e. I can choose from many products.
For your car, you should have a very narrow choice. If you follow the service reqs on that car you can go full throttle for 200k miles-at least! It's made for that.
Else, well kill it if you want.

Hey, give ProV1 a break! NICE CAR!

Changing the oil on any MB or BMW is a joy! Top-mounted cannister oil filters. Sumps designed for top-sider oil extraction. No reason to travel to, be robbed by, or defrauded by the dealer. Save time, money and get better oil in your car. A no brainer.

Plus it's fun to bond with your car.

I too feel the M1 0-40 is not a "great" product. The new M1 pricing strategy has put it into the neighborhood or Amsoil, Redline and Royal Purple products. Plus the 0-40 M1 specs seem to vanish after 3K miles.

The problem I see is that ChinaMart has ruined the local oil market. Yep. The local Auto Zone, Parts Plus, Advanced auto parts, all stock only the same oils that Wally world does. Where's my choices? No exotic euro-spec oils on the shelves anywhere. Green GC? Here? Nope. Got a TDI diesel Jetta? No, can't help you. Got a M-series BMW? Better like the M1. Nothing else is specced for BMW-LL.

Synthetic Delo/Rotella? Got it. Use it. But c'mon, semi-rig oil in my Hot Deutsch Roadster?

Use the internet. Find and go to Forums where the AMG folks hang out. Read and use their recommendations. And RTFM. Buy your supplies online and plan ahead. And take good care of your Beast. For the sake of your children or the next lucky guy that buys your AMG.

M1.jpg

GC? What does it stand for?

Now on to the question...

You own a AMG E55 and a Z06, they both recommend Mobil 1...do you not trust the people who hand built your engine (not sure about the chevy, but I know the AMG is hand assembled)?

My take...stick with the mobil 1 and the AMG OCI and have some peice of mind your running what your babies' parents asked you to run...don;t think they would be looking to harm that mechanical piece of art. With one oil change running another brand you may save $15...ask youself...Is it worth it?

Originally Posted By: docvb

The problem I see is that ChinaMart has ruined the local oil market. Yep. The local Auto Zone, Parts Plus, Advanced auto parts, all stock only the same oils that Wally world does. Where's my choices? No exotic euro-spec oils on the shelves anywhere. Green GC? Here? Nope. Got a TDI diesel Jetta? No, can't help you. Got a M-series BMW? Better like the M1. Nothing else is specced for BMW-LL.

The local AZ in my neck of the woods carries GC, and I can easily get Red Line or Amsoil locally.

M1's a good oil, I use it to stick within Toyota's 5K OCIs on a 3MZ-FE, the big brother of the 1MZ-FE sludge monster...

Last edited:
For a 'cheap' alternative, I'd recommend:

- Castrol Hypuron 15W-40 synthetic blend, OR
- Kendall GT-1 Synthetic blend 15W-40

Both seem to have good specs, and should serve the purpose.

That being said, I agree with the general thought of 'if you bought a car that expensive, WHY are you trying to save money on the oil?'

Heck, thats why I drive a Chevy Cavalier - everything is cheap for it, no 'special' stuff required, at all!

I agree with alot of the recommendations given here.Rotella Blue and Amsoil Euro.I'd like to throw Maxlife 10w40 in for consideration..

Well the M1 0W40 does do a nice job at controlling wear and keeping the engine clean so I do not know why any one would not like it. Now if you have an engine that is hard on oil and shears most oil then yes M1 0W40 is not the best choice.

As for cost RTS 5W40 is going to produce great wear number and can more then go the distance in terms of extended drains. It is $16 a gallon at Walmart. I could care less if it is approved by AMG I know that it will protect that engine just great! If it can protect a 600HP commerical Class 8 diesel your AMG is nothing! You might also look at M1 10W40HM and M1 5W40. All of the above are priced nicely and will protect that engine just fine!

If you are considering a Dino wich again would never be on the AMG approved list you would want to stick with 15W40 HDDEO like Delvac1300 Super,Delo 400 etc.........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back