Small leak from coolant expansion tank.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Canada,North America,Western Hemisphere,Earth,Milk
I got a small leak from the coolant expansion tank on a Dodge Ram. Its around the plastic that the rad cap sits but it is not the rad cap which is leaking or the rad cap's seal. The hole is in the actual plastic tank. Tried some jb weld but it started leaking again.

Is this something that needs to be addressed right away? Can this small pressure leak cause the vehicle to overheat?

Originally Posted By: byez
Is this something that needs to be addressed right away?

Yes and I doubt a new one would be terribly expensive; a new bottle for mine is just $7 from the dealer.

Overflow tanks are made from Polypropoline and are impossible to glue. I have fixed them by using heat(solering iron) to melt the hole shut. I would try to fix it myself as you might be amazed at the dealer replacement cost. Mine was 43 dollars from the dealer several years ago.

had same problem on a mazda. replaced tank, new one is cracked again in same place as old one did - sharp corner in blow moulded part - stress concentration area

That, and badly designed parts typically are impossible to get from a junkyard, since they'll go bad on nearly everything they were installed on.

I wonder what it would take to fabricate a coolant surge tank.

How far down is the leak? Near top or middle or bottom? In most cases its not under pressure. If near middle or bottom it needs to be fixed, if near top, how often does the level get that high. I like the idea of a soldering iron to heat and maybe fix the hole. What do you have to loose?

Have we established if it's under pressure or not? A cheezy flip up/ snap on cap usually indicates it's not.

If blessed with this they sell universal ones at the auto parts store or you can just rinse out a quart oil bottle, stick it in the fender somewhere, and stuff the hose from the rad cap down the throat.

$110? Try shopping online.

Originally Posted By: oilyriser
had same problem on a mazda. replaced tank, new one is cracked again in same place as old one did - sharp corner in blow moulded part - stress concentration area

wouldnt happen to be a v6 626 would it?

Certailnly be a good idea to check salvage yards before all the nay-sayers here convince you it's hopeless.

http://car-part.com/

This is a great place to start looking.

Far as having metal one custom made, it'd about have to be stainless (metal working shops capable of fabing copper are nearly nonexistant) I's expect to start somewhere around $300.

Bob

Is this a pressurized tank? You have to melt it together [tricky and unreliable], or get another one.
A little silicone RTV sealant on a CLEAN surface will seal the other type.

Or just keep topping it off every week.

On the V6 mazda (yes) it would lose coolant until it got below the crack, then it would stop losing. That engine was odd in that the drain plug magnet built up next to zero iron paste even after 8000 miles over winter. I think they are made to last forever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back