Cracked Heat Shield - Help me Repair

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, I had a heat shield on my '99 Civic (hatchback) that cracked around one of the fasteners. I removed it because it was making an annoying noise. The heat shield I removed ran under the oil pan and I realized a couple of weeks ago that removing it may not have been the brightest idea so I've bought one off a wrecked '99 Civic to replace the one I removed. The trouble is that it too is cracked around one of the fasteners and I'm pretty sure that if I install it, it's going to make noise. Since I don't have any welding equipment, I can't simply join the metal back together so I'm thinking I may just use a wide washer to clamp the area and hopefully keep it from vibrating.

Anybody fix an issue like this?

Thanks

Greg

Originally Posted By: ajchien
Some folks have been known to use large hose clamps to tighten around heat shields.

That was Ford's fix for my buddy's Tempo. Biggest "make a clamp" I've ever seen made ..well, almost.

Clamps work on exhaust shields well enough. Go back and RE-READ original post and you'll realize it's totally N/A in this application though.

Sounds like oversize washer pulling larger area around fastener down tight would be the best fix available, without taking shield to a welding (or like me, a muffler shop) to have crack repaired before installing.

Bob

yeah, it's normal for the heat shield to crack due to the heat. I forgot to put in one bolt out of 4 on a mitsu mirage a few years ago. I had vibration and rattling out of the yin yang. I put the rusted nut back on, vibration and ratting was gone. alreadygone, what part of Arkansas are you in? I'm from Memphis, TN

i once used stainless steel wire, wrap and tight heatshield on my old 94 accord. it stop the noise for 2 years and work very well, then i have to redo it because the heat/cold cycle broke the wire. i was a poor student and cant afford the $160 dealer was asking at the time.

The heatshield on my 02 Accord cracked last summer, but it was at the rear, underneath the seats. Screw it. I took it off and haven't noticed any problems with it since.

good replies, thanks all.

I thought about the hose clamp but due to the shape of the thing and where it's cracked, I don't think I'd be able to get pressure where it's needed to prevent vibration.

I hadn't thought of taking it to a muffler shop; maybe I'll look into that. I doubt they'd charge much for it.

Thanks again!

Greg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back