Is Royal Purple top quality or snake oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: c3po
I believe it is nothing more than a Group III oil, I would not call it a snake oil, but they have fantastic marketing and advertising. I knew 2 guys with the same transmissions and 1 used Royal Purple ATF and got 256,000 miles out of the trans before a rebuild and the other 1 used Amsoil ATF and got 413,000 miles out of the trans before a rebuild. Is it top quality, NO, I would call Amsoil or Pennzoil Platinum top quality, followed by Mobil 1, and then Redline.

I wish people would stop spreading that rumor. RP is not Group III. It is Group IV.

Well, I've read so many opinions about this subject, I thought I would send them an email to see what they say about it. Here is the email reply I got and the one I sent.

Date: July 10, 2008 9:06:12 AM CDT
To: "'Johnny Petree'"
Subject: Royal Purple - Base Stock
Reply-To:

Johnny,

We're a combination of synthetics including Group III, Group IV's (PAO), and V's (Esters but do not use Polyol Esters)- deciding on which oil is better just by the base stocks is not as simple as some make it out to be. Formulators rarely use a single straight base stock - as solubility, solvency, and seal elastomer compatibility issues can result using a single type of base stock.

The base stock is like flour, flour is flour. The difference is the cake, it is in the way you bake it, mix it, and the ingredients you add to the flour. We do not just focus on the base stock, but the oil as a whole, because it is all in the chemistry.

Have a great day and I hope this helps.

Kyle Neal
Technical Sales Representative
1 Royal Purple Lane
Porter, Texas 77365
work- 281-354-8600 ex 248
cell- 713-705-9556
[email protected]

Sent: Thursday, July 10, 2008 6:08 AM
To: [email protected]
Cc: [email protected]
Subject: Automotive Question

Can you tell me if your regular automotive oil, not your racing oil, is a Group III or a Group IV synthetic base.

Thank you,

Johnny Petree
Wausau, WI 54403
jlpetree@

This forum did convert me to use Amsoil. But I might be goingback to Royal Purple. Performance, Fuel eco, noise/smoothness of the motor is the same with SSO and RP. The price different is huge. My RP oil cost me about $4 a qt with the tax.

I still use RP in our Acura RSX and Tahoe.

Originally Posted By: Kyle Neal
We're a combination of synthetics including Group III, Group IV's (PAO), and V's (Esters but do not use Polyol Esters)...
Gee, that sure narrows it down...

Royal Purple may be a good synthetic oil BUT allot of brands might be just as good. For myself it's too expensive for my pocket book.

I think the "Speed Channel" on cable TV endorsese it.

So far my current oil being tried be me is Quaker State "Q" and in my 01' Durango it appears to be a fine oil. It's also much cheaper to boot.

Durango

I have not been impressed with RP. If I am going to spend the money, would rather go Amsoil. Our site Amsoil reps can insure that if you want PAO you will get PAO. Don't think we have that confidence with RP or even M1 for that matter.

1st of the person you really want to contact at Royal Purple with questions is David Canitz. Never heard of this Kyle guy? David is head of RP tech support. If RP is now using some Group III that means they have reformulated from when I asked not too long ago and was told their oils were Group IV with some Group V.

I still can't get over the fact that Royal Purple thins out so quickly. I just got sent a UOA today from a Corvette owner who ran RP 5w30 for 4900 miles and it finished up at 9.1cst at 100c. Why can't they get a handle on this problem? And if they claim that they design the oil to thin out like this, that's just foolish. If I buy a 5w30 I want it to stay a 5w30, otherwise I'd just buy a 5w20 to begin with!! IMO, it's unacceptable for such an expensive oil to thin out like this.

Quote:
Their racing products are substance that gives the street products marketing.

Agree. Same with RL. Most of their success comes from their racing oils, not street.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back