AVG update "needs Restart"??? but screws up!

Status
Not open for further replies.
after my last update to the AVG Free a/v, it tells me "the update needs a restart".
I have restarted the laptop 3 times now, and it STILL tells me that "update needs a restart".

what's going on, and what can I do about it?

(every time I restarted, I just did with the turn off-->restart menu. shall I just shut the laptop down, and restart it manually? isn't that the same thing though? or does that make a difference?)

Thanks a lot.

I too have had my own problems with AVG. In the end the solution was to uninstall both from their webste and do a a Search of AVG. Then reload and SAVE TO DESKTOP. Restart computer and run from your desktop. Worked for me after many frustrating days. Hope this does it for you. Ed

Originally Posted By: Eddie
uninstall both from their webste and do a a Search of AVG. Then reload and SAVE TO DESKTOP.

can you explain what you mean by that part?
how do you "uninstall from website"?
(and what are "both"?)
thanks a lot for the reply.

uninstalled and re-installed: seems to be fine, now. It did ask to restart again after updating, but this time it worked.

Ten year PC Tech/System Admin here...

The new AVG 8.x is absolute junk.

Its gone the way of norton.

Uninstall and install something else.

Yup. I ditched AVG and have been using Antivir for the past month or two. Every time it updates, it displays this annoying ad popup window, but other than that, it seems to work ok.

Originally Posted By: JustinH

Agreed 100%.
cheers3.gif

I ran AVG for several years with no problems.

They really dropped the ball on version 8.0 though. I've heard gripes about it here and from co-workers who use(d) it.

Uninstalled and went with Avast!.

dump AVG and go with Avira antivirus. AVG has been going downhill IMHO for the past six months or so. Avira is much less intrusive with its updates IMHO.

I'm holding on to 7.5 until they stop giving updates for it. In some systems 8.0 slows it to a crawl, but in others it's just fine.

Well at least Zone Alarm is still the same, well for the time being :)

EDIT: is it me or did AVG allow the option of not installing the link scanner? I went through the advanced options on a avg 8 install for a friend's PC, and it had another component you could uninstall. It wasn't labeled anything familiar so I didn't choose to install it. I noticed now under the GUI, there's no link scanner..

I recall under the first release of Avg8 the only unistall/install option was the email scanner.

Last edited:
If you guys want to spend a couple bucks on good antivirus, buy a copy of ESET NOD32.

Doesn't bog your system down, and does an excellent job.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Yup. I ditched AVG and have been using Antivir for the past month or two. Every time it updates, it displays this annoying ad popup window, but other than that, it seems to work ok.

I sorta like the Anitvir popup. If I happen to be away from the machine, I know when I return that an update did take place and was successful. Then 1 click and it's gone until next time. I can live with that.

Originally Posted By: Buffman
I'm holding on to 7.5 until they stop giving updates for it.

Same here,then i dunno what i'm going to use then.
mad.gif

Originally Posted By: SrDriver
I too ran AVG without issue for several years.

Now am running the free version of PCTools Anti-Virus.

Link To PCTools Anti-Virus

anyone else using this one,how's it do,system hog???

Originally Posted By: JustinH

what free one do you recommend thats not a system hog
and is user friendly???

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/06/26/avg_disguises_fake_traffic_as_ie6/

Quote:

In late February, AVG paired its updated anti-virus engine with a real-time malware scanner that vets search engine results before you click on them. If you search Google, for instance, this LinkScanner automatically visits each address that turns up on Google's results page.

According to the company, more than 20 million people have downloaded the new AVG 8, and this has caused a huge up-tick in traffic on sites across the web, including The Register. Because the scanner attempts to disguise itself as a real live human click, webmasters who rely on log files for their traffic numbers may be unaware their stats are skewed. And others complain that LinkScanner has added extra dollars to their bandwidth bill.

Best avoid this product.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 97tbird
after my last update to the AVG Free a/v, it tells me "the update needs a restart".
I have restarted the laptop 3 times now, and it STILL tells me that "update needs a restart".

what's going on, and what can I do about it?

(every time I restarted, I just did with the turn off-->restart menu. shall I just shut the laptop down, and restart it manually? isn't that the same thing though? or does that make a difference?)

Thanks a lot.

Left click the small AVG icon at the bottom right of the screen> Right click (quit AVG control center). After AVG program has terminated restart you computer, then go thru the update process again ...(works for me any way)
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back