Purified or Distilled Water?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Easier - yes. But you pay dearly for this convenience. If you count your pennies, you can mix it yourself for a lot less.

The Prestone 50/50 is about $8 a gallon. The Prestone 100% is about $8 a gallon. If you just need a bit to top off then the 50/50 might make sense, as it's certainly not much compared to the cost of fuel over the expected life of the fluid. I like to flush with 50/50, and if I need 3 gallons it makes sense to buy the 100%.

The water from the hose at my house runs from the well in the backyard through a ion-exchange type water softener system. No calcium/magnesium means no scale
wink.gif

I'm getting a little scared with pure water being able to do things to concrete,erode copper ,aluminum. I think i'll add a tspn of antifreeze to every cup i drink!!!!

Just bought 6 gallons today for the flush I'm gonna do on the Chrysler tomorrow. I'll use the first 4 just to flush it out and the last 2 to mix with the Zerex G5.

Originally Posted By: Barkleymut
Just bought 6 gallons today for the flush I'm gonna do on the Chrysler tomorrow. I'll use the first 4 just to flush it out and the last 2 to mix with the Zerex G5.

I used about 10 gallons of distilled when I did my big flush a couple of years ago. 5 consecutive dumps and refills, getting a little over 1.5 gallons out each time. I ran it up to operating temperature for a few minutes each time, then let it cool before I drained and refilled. The whole thing took quite a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back