Whats the change interval on cabin filters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
2 years? or something like: you put your blower all the way to high and not getting enough air flow out from your dash vent.

Q.

Originally Posted By: byez
also, does filtration improve up to a point then degrade just like air filters? or is a new filter always a good thing?

would it be a bad idea to cut a charcoal canister to size and place it as extra filtration?

I buy the cabin filters with charcoal. I don't think they improve with use. They collect moisture, allergens, etc.

My cabin air filter does need to be changed soon, I'm starting to get that old musty smell in my vehicle. I'm going with a Purolator cabin filter since their filters come with a static charge.

Recommended change interval for city driving? Does brand really matter?

VW recommended every 10k (miles). I decided to check every oil change, along with checking the air filter, which made it easy to remember. Living on a dirt road in the country, after replacing the original, and blowing out the new one, went 30K miles between needing to replace.
The note about "activated carbon" is spot on, though likely to lower the life due to more inherent air flow restriction.

Originally Posted By: 63Avanti
Recommended change interval for city driving? Does brand really matter?

VW recommended every 10k (miles). I decided to check every oil change, along with checking the air filter, which made it easy to remember. Living on a dirt road in the country, after replacing the original, and blowing out the new one, went 30K miles between needing to replace.
The note about "activated carbon" is spot on, though likely to lower the life due to more inherent air flow restriction.

I agree. I still get roughly 30k on my carbon ones. I'm pretty sure that's all the more often BMW recommends. I purchase Bosch from autohausaz.com.

"VW recommended every 10k (miles). I decided to check every oil change, along with checking the air filter, which made it easy to remember. Living on a dirt road in the country, after replacing the original, and blowing out the new one, went 30K miles between needing to replace.
The note about "activated carbon" is spot on, though likely to lower the life due to more inherent air flow restriction. [/quote]

In'02 VW recommended changing @20k and they were funky by then! Have they officially lowered it to 10k? I haven't seen a new owners amnual in a long time.

Originally Posted By: cmhj
I check mine twice a year and only replace as needed.

That's what I do. Usually changing it once a year. It depends on how much I use the car. After a year of use it's pretty dirty and looks like it obviously needs to be replaced. Changing cabin filter on my Civic is a breeze unlike in Elantra, so I could have checked it more often actually. Always make sure to have the replacement filter on hands so you can change it right away!!

I vacuum them at 30K miles and change them at 60K miles.

Amazon sells Purolator cabin filters for some cars very cheap.

Last edited by a moderator:
I checked mine @ 11K miles and it was FOUL! Mine are now changed annually since we do roughly 10-12K at most.

sad to say, I haven't changed a cabin air filter on my 96 pontiac sunfire. not sure if it has one! if it does, it has to be filthy, 12 years old

Its no different than a furnace filter, replace it often for peak HVAC inefficiency. If your A/C has to work hard to push cold air into the cabin its costing you money because the A/C compressor it working harder than it has to. You should replace them at least once a year. Just because it does not look dirty does not mean it has not reached its saturation limits. Most dirt, mold spores and allergens can't be seen.

I replace the one in my CTS every spring and the car is stored from Nov-May, about 7,500 miles of use annually. Its usually black with dirt, I either use a Wix or AC Delco which are manf. by Micronair who makes just about all of them for other brands. MicronAir filters feature a multi-stage filtration media that is electrostatically charged for optimum filtering.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back