5w-20 or 5w-30 for 2008 Scion xB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just hit 10k miles and I'd like to switch over to synthetic but I need some opinions. I'm currently using Castrol GTX 5w-20, but I'm wondering if I should move up to a heavier weight. I live in Texas and the temperature here is quickly rising (hit 100 yesterday...)

Any suggestions on weight and brand would be greatly appreciated!

I would venture to say stick with the manufacture's viscosity recommendations. If 5W-20 is the only weight specified, then stick with it, but perhaps give Castrol Syntec a try for better protection. If the owner's manual allows 30W for higher ambient temps then use it, but you should be fine with 5W-20.

Oh, and I forgot
welcome2.gif
to the BITOG family.

Thanks drivewaytech! I've been lurking on this site quite some time and finally decided to register
55.gif

The manual & oil cap state either 0w-20 or 5w-20 are recommended so I guess I'll just stick with that. I wanted to try German Castrol but it only comes in 0w-30 right?

Yes the GC is 0W-30 only. I would like to try the stuff myself also but have decided against it. I proposed the same question not to long ago myself.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...492#Post1167492

This will also help with your concerns.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=259902#Post259902

Enjoy your new xB, I hope to have one within a couple of weeks. Currently driving an 05 model. Greet little vehicle, though I like the new body styles much better.

I want one of those clown cars soooooooo bad. I don't suspect they'll go out of vogue anytime soon now. Man.. a turbo'd version of that would make a great sleeper in some warped sense.

drivewaytech thanks for the help! BTW the 09s are already out just an FYI :) I like the 1st gen xbs as well but the 2nd gen is leaps and bounds ahead of it.

The 08-09 model has received alot of bashing because of the gas mileage(rated at 22/28), but I've personally hit 31 & 33 mpg on two different road trips all hwy. As long as you keep it at 65 or under you can achieve good gas mileage with them.

the engines changed. it went from the 1.5L yaris engine to 2.4 camry engine people complained the 1.5 L was slow. toyota upgraded to a more powerful engine. fuel economy dropped, can't make everyone happy.

Last edited:
I was a little disappointed in the engine change. The 1.5L has plenty of power for my needs. Heck the thing will get up and scoot if you put your foot into it, but I don't do that sort of thing.
whistle.gif
It's a company vehicle. I will be interested to see how the 2.4 performs in the xB. Hopefully I can keep the fuel milage in check. And yes, the second generation is less of a clown car but still draws some looks. People either love them or hate them.

I went ahead & decided to go with PP 5w-20. It should be going in this weekend before my road trip for 4th of July weekend.
19.gif

Now my last oil change I used an STP filter. Are they ok to use or should I stick with OEM toyota filters? I'll probably only run this stuff for 5k miles (still under warranty).

Just about any name brand filter will serve you well. Of course some are better at filtration than others. The STP filter will do just fine. Enjoy your 4th worry free.

thumbsup2.gif

what's printed on the oil cap of the 2008 XB ? If 5w-30 , I would stay with that due to extreme heat and humidity , especially if in stop and driving with A/C going . If decide to go with 5w-20 and calls for 5w-30 I suggest get the o.k. from nearby SCION / TOYOTA service center in writing with head tech's signature , better to be safe than sorry .

I have a 2008 Scion xB as well, and go with what is recommended, 0W-20.

On the oil cap it states, 5W-20 or 0W20, however, in the manual it does recommend the use of 0W20 over all else.

I am running M1 0W20 in my xB right now and have no issues. Engine is extremely quiet, mileage is great (I average 29 over my last twelve fillups. My best being 32 and 33 a few times).

If price doesn't matter, buy the 0W20. If you want to save a little, use the 5W20.

Also, as far as filters, just use the OEM ones. For the price and quality they cannot be beat. I get mine off TRDsparks.com and get a box of 10 for just over $3 a filter, can't beat that.

:)

Last edited:
I actually paid more buying 5w-20. Walmart only had 5 qt jugs in 0w-20 & 0w-30. I bought 4 qts & it cost about $2 more than the jug, but that's all the vehicle takes so the extra qt wouldn't have been of use(too big to carry in the car). Also, I know scion recommends 0w-20 or 5w-20 but I'll go with the thicker one.

I haven't used Pennzoil in about 8 years (the waxy-oil statements turned me away) so I'm hoping for good results
55.gif

Last edited:
Im actually converting over to Pennzoil Platinum on my next oil change. It seems to be a more impressive oil in terms of UOA's and such, plus it gets a little more recommendation here.

Remember, our xB's take 4.3qts I believe. I used about 4qts + about 1/3 of a 5th quart. Probably doesn't matter much, but just in case you weren't aware (but I am sure you are!).

Im ordering my 0W20 Pennzoil Plat. off of oilstore.com, buying two cases (six quarts a piece). Add in shipping and such, each quart comes down to like $5.66 or something a bottle, not too shabby. More pricey then I can get at Walmart for 5W20, but I am willing to spend the little extra for my baby
wink.gif
I prefer to use the 0W20.

K-Mart has PLATINUM for $5 a quart . As for oil change would put about 3 and 3/4 quarts in at 1 st , let it run for few minutes , recheck about 1/2 hour later , then top off if needed . The YARIS calls for qts. , but usually 3 and 1/2 quarts will bring to FULL mark or a tad over . TAKE CARE

Walmart has 5 quart jugs of PP for $19.xx or about $4 / quart. Ops-not sure about 5w or 0w20 as I use 5w30 in my Mazda CX7

Last edited:
Hmm I've done 2 oil changes so far and after I've put 4 qts it was showing full. Maybe it still had some left after I drained it...

Originally Posted By: A_A_G
I know scion recommends 0w-20 or 5w-20 but I'll go with the thicker one.
55.gif

At operating temps they are the same "thickness", when cold the 5W-20 is thicker. Given the choice I would use the 0W-20.

Frank D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back